What Veneer Type is on These Khorn's?

Frzninvt

The label says they started out as type D's Birch Raw, that looks kind of like brazilian rosewood to me. The woodworking around them seems very, very odd. The grill panels are not original from what I can see. Looks like they added more panels and one that blocks the tailboard from sealing into corner? $2600 I don't think so, love the veneer the rest looks bastardized. I would love my Khorn's and center La Scala finished in that veneer - man that would be sharp!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=61378&item=5736992468&rd=1

I suppose they could be reverted to some level and made to look stellar.

yeah that woodwork looks truely bizzare. I think they screwed that one up, but good! I f you look at the grills waiting for cloth you will see they planned to place grills on the exposed back surfaces, meaning no corner placement for these babies, what a cluster f**k...I too like the look of the wood though, would love to have my raw birch speakers veneered someday with something like that (or some ebony)...regards, tony

It looks like the same strategy as that one pair that Soundbug had a few months back--the owner apparently made a whole separate structural envelope that surrounds the Klipchorn. The BR designation on this set is for "Birch Raw" the least expensive finish for khorns and the most likely finish to be cosmetically modified. Nice looking rosewood though!

Best in horns,

triceratops

Radiohead, the D Type Klipschorn was the bargain basement model and I can assure you did NOT come finished in Brazilian Rosewood. These were modified and veneered at a later date. I do love the veneer though don't get me wrong, it is stunning! But those speakers are really hacked! I am certain they could be restored to essentially stock but with a asking price of $2.6K they are far from a bargain!

The wood used to make the veneer was very skinny....hence why it looks like INK BLOT test....

the book matching pieces are probably only 4-6" wide...and over that total width...will look funny....

they should have found some wider boards to book match so it would only have 1 edge glue joint...instead of the 6 or so inthe pics...

I would go with a stained Birch as a possible culprit. The cross-sections are about the right width. The core is what forms the grain accentuated by the stain.

Usually the birch is less core, and less grain, but it depends on the original veneer, of course. You could get a very strange grain from some very ordinary wood sometimes.

DM

In the olden days, didn't Klipsch usually have larger sheets of veneer, so that there was only 2 to 4 bookmatched sections on a large cabinet face such as this. I'd have to turn the lights down, you'd either get dizzy or be reminded of certain anatomical bits if ya look at these too long.

Michael

Those are decorator Brazilian Rose wood Khorns, hence the type BR on the back lable. I've seen copies of older order sheets, and read some post by Andy. BR is Brazilian Rose wood, that is the origial veneer.

However, the front bottom surfaces appear to have something that looks like pitting, or some type of flaw. These poor puppy's don't look like they were well cared for.

Is there anyone in the Boston Area that will personally check these out for me?

CB, get my bed ready.

By the way, does anyone know where Andy got shipped out to yet?

Those K-horns were originally Birch (BR - Birch Raw) & have been refinished with a rosewood veneer.

Rosewood Models of that vintage would be (RO - Rosewood Oiled) and later K-horn Rosewood models would be laquered, (RL - Rosewood Laquered).

IMHO, those refinished decorator (KD - Klipschorn Decorator model) speakers are worth ~ $1K.

Happy Friday,

Pete