Somewhat OT - Guitartist shot during concert!

skonopa

I saw this article this morning:

Guitarist Among 5 Killed in Ohio Shooting

Truly tragic.

And if somebody jumps on my case because this is not "being audio related", the only reponse they will get from me is me giving them the middle finger and telling them to blow it out of thier @$$. Yes, I am that saddend, and angered, by what happened. I am a staunt metal-head, and I've lived in that part of Columbus, OH, so this hits to close to home for me.

• Moderators

----------------

On 12/9/2004 11:32:51 AM skonopa wrote:

And if somebody jumps on my case because this is not "being audio related", the only reponse they will get from me is me giving them the middle finger and telling them to blow it out of thier @$$.
----------------

Yes, this is very tragic, and I can't even imagine being there and seeing that happen. How awful.

And yes, no one needs to jump your case about anything you post. That's my job. I allow A LOT of off-topic discussion go on in the General Section because that's what makes the forum interesting, and it allows people to get to know one another away from audio. Gives the board a much more "community" feel.

I typically only limit political or religious discussions (they only end up bad anyway, for the most part) and personal insults, vulgarity, etc (listed in the forum policy).

(Sorry to hijack your thread, skonopa...)

Regardless, to me, this topic IS audio/Klipsch related. Klipsch has long been involved with live music and artists from a variety of genres. It is a sad day for all music fans.

Yeah I read that too. It is a tragic incident. I was never a fan of Pantera but that matters not. The fortunate thing is that the authorities were close by and were able to "minimize" the damage and casualties. Also a bug shout to the guy who tried to take him down.

This is truly a tragic shooting. The one we had up here in Wisconsin during hunting season was horrible too. What are people thinking these days? Pantera was one of my favorite bands. Cemetary Gates ranks near the top of my list of all time best songs. The guitar work was always amazing in their music and we will all miss it. The music industry has lost someone special.

That is vrey sad. I suspect there will be some backlash to this... Why was that guy not patted down? Every concert I've been to in the past they have always made people lift up their jackes, and pat people down... Someone is going to catch hell for this.

Bad bad bad security in my view.

----------------

On 12/9/2004 1:22:53 PM Amy Unger wrote:

And yes, no one needs to jump your case about
anything
you post. That's my job. I allow A LOT of off-topic discussion go on in the General Section because that's what makes the forum interesting, and it allows people to get to know one another away from audio. Gives the board a much more "community" feel.

----------------

Thank you Amy. That was a kinda indirect response to the couple of threads/posts that popped up recently from some newbie trying to tell the rest of us what we should/shouldn't post on the forum. I was just so angered and sadden by that story that I was just in no mood for any such crap and made it clear.

I don't know. I usually don't get to emotional when I read news stories, but this particular one just really struck a nerve and got me worked up. I was literally in tears when I read that. I guess a part of it was that I've lived in Columbus, OH for about a year or so before moving to Virginia, and I am familier with that area where this happened. One of my brothers still lives there, and for all I knew, he could've been at that concert, since he does like to listen to that kind of musc. Another part was that the memories of that Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert I saw just a couple weeks ago are still so fresh in my memory, and the thought of some mad-man jumping up on stage and shooting the musicians and then the audience.... I can only begin to imagine how horrible it had to of been for those that were there at that concert in Ohio that night.15.gif I mean, think about it! Here are these people all excited to get to see this show and all they want to do is rock-out to some awesome music, then all of a suddenly....

But like "TheEARs" said, the only "good" thing (if there is anything good about this), is that that idiot got plugged by the police, which, fortunatly, happened to be in the area anyway.

The fall-out from this is going to be interesting. Of course, the old "gun control" argument will come up again. And the question of just how this guy got in to the club with a gun in the first place. And now, how to better protect the performers as well as the fans will come into play.

For example, at that Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert, I was no farther than twenty feet from the stage, and I could've easly jumped up there and did some real harm before somebody would've had a chance to stop me. Also, they only searched bags and purses when going in. I've could've easily snuck a weapon in my jacket.

And a parallel to this whole thing with the recent spate of player-fan altercations at basketball games. Something like that Pacer-Pistons incident could've easily turned as ugly. Imagine if that guy managed to get a weapon inside and started shooting the players and other fans.

Truly a tragic, and needless loss of life here.

From another heavy-metal band - Kamelot:

"A broken rainbow falls

from the sky

the tears or sorrow

fill a young man's eyes

there's a dark cry from deep inside

from a splintering heart"

From "Troubled Mind, on Dominion

And to paraphrase that old Crosby, Stills, and Nash song..

"5 Dead in Ohio - what?

5 Dead in Ohio - oh-no!

5 Dead in Ohio -oh why?"

8.gif

I went to this show 2 weeks ago in Worcestor Mass. Dimebag soloed his *** off. The only thing better was Shadows Fall right afterwards and the Haunted beforehand. Tragic indeed. He was an inspiration to many and a legend among metal-heads if not one of the best guitarists in the world. Didn't care much for the new band when i saw them, but talent cannot be denied.

Just tragic, what else to say. Thanks for the strength Steve and the space Amy...

However, justice was served. No judge, no jury, no mercy for the punk who shot a modern artist of our times. Dimebag was one of a kind. As Wheelman said, missed but never forgotten.

Reminds me of a lyric on the Coverdale/Page CD, on 'Take me for a Little While' talking about the loss of Davids old DP mate Tommy Bolin and John Bonzo Bonham of Led Zepplin, amongst others who have paid the ultimate price for their Rock n Roll stardom:

"Thinking about the friends we lost,

Wondering how to count the cost

Now my days are growing cold..."

Dimebag, rest in peace, lighting one for ya right now!

Michael

----------------

On 12/11/2004 12:02:47 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Reminds me of a lyric on the Coverdale/Page CD, on 'Take me for a Little While' talking about the loss of Davids old DP mate Tommy Bolin and John Bonzo Bonham of Led Zepplin, amongst others who have paid the ultimate price for their Rock n Roll stardom:

"Thinking about the friends we lost,

Wondering how to count the cost

Now my days are growing cold..."

Dimebag, rest in peace, lighting one for ya right now!

----------------

I was at the mall last night and went into the record store. I happened across the Pantera CD's. I picked one up to look, and I just about lost it right there. I had to leave the store... 7.gif

----------------

On 12/9/2004 2:52:09 PM m00n wrote:

That is vrey sad. I suspect there will be some backlash to this... Why was that guy not patted down? Every concert I've been to in the past they have always made people lift up their jackes, and pat people down... Someone is going to catch hell for this.

Bad bad bad security in my view.

----------------

From a story I found on Pantera.com. Pantera's website:

----------------

Mitch Carpenter, an Alrosa security guard working in the parking lot, said he encountered Gale before the concert and asked him to "park his car and buy a ticket or leave." Gale parked behind the building near the band's bus and was asked to move his car, which he did. The next time Carpenter saw Gale, he was in the club. "He had hopped the fence at the patio," Carpenter said. "He was walking really fast toward the stage and I followed him. "I thought he was going to get up there and stage dive or something during the first song. I figured he was just a guy who didn't have any money to buy a ticket so he got in the way he did. "I've been going over it in my mind, but when he came in I didn't want to tackle him. He was a big guy."

----------------

The guy hopped a fence and basically try to sneak in the back way. This security guy wanted to try to stop him, but couldn't.

Ya forgot the bit before that Paragraph.

"People who had known the 25-year-old Gale in his hometown of Marysville described him yesterday as an unstable man who once asserted that the Abbott brothers' former band, PANTERA, had stolen his song lyrics."

Lovely. Some Spun dude flips out over lyrics, jumps the fence of the club rushes to the stage and starts blastin'.

I hope there is some place where dead members of thrash bands exist. And Nathan Gale is there with them.

And they are kicking Nathan, and beating, and spitting, and peeing and pooing,(sodomizing with a stick) and vomiting, and then pouring stale cigarette saturated beer all over him.

Then they proceed to stone and club this lyrical genius, and then run over him with cars, until he is nothing but a big greasy pile of mush.

And lo and behold, it starts all over again, over and over and over.........

Kudos to Officer Niggemeyer for making the right decision.

I think Police use slugs with their shotguns, ouch!

This part of that story really got to me... 8.gif

----------------

Band members spent Wednesday night on their bus then went back to Texas, where they're based.

"Vinnie crashed in Dime's bunk and was crying," Barns said.

----------------

I cannot even begin to imagine what Vinnie must be going through right now. I mean, his brother being killed in completely unprovoced cold-blooded murder right in front of him, during a show, no less!

I went and printed out that black-ribbon image and taped it to the back window of my truck.