No way to hear - need your help

Black7

I'm looking at updrading my KG3.5's to Forte II's - my problem is I am relying on the reputation of the Forte's as being a significant upgrade. I do not have any way of hearing this line of speakers and if I am to buy, it will most likely be online. Now I realize this is a crazy way to purchase speakers but I like Klipsch and I want an upgrade - I simply do not have any way of hearing before buying.

So, to avoid any replys that will tell me this is no way to buy speakers and that the sound of a speaker is a point of personal taste, can you help me out with opinions on how these two speakers differ and what I can expect from a set of forts over 3.5's? I apologize for asking the question that everyone hates to answer but I really need opinions - the risk of buying "sound unheard" is, of course, all mine. Much appreciated

IMO the english language doesn't provide us with the words to describe some of the subtle difference between many speakers. Also, there is really no substitute for having your own ears hear your speakers against a pair of Fortes.

I've got a pair and had them for about 15 years. I think there great speakers. I think they do a great job of providing a broad range of audio whether playing at high volume or low volume. When I listen to other speakers I tend to believe what I am hearing is almost to crisp. The forte's just sing.

One way to hear a pair would be to be patient and see if someone on the forum makes you an offer to listen to theirs. I was interested in hearing a tube amp driving klipsch, and have had offers to listen by others who live in Austin, TExas. You could listen to my Forte's if Austin is in your future.

Finally, realize that there's a market out there for these speakers. Buy a pair and if you want to trade up or sideways later. Somebody will buy them. There is a demand. That's one nice thing about Klipsch; the products keep their value.

The consensus is that the Forte II is a better speaker than what you have. It uses two horns, one for mid and one tweeter. The Forte also has good bass.

Look at this decision as a gamble. Are you willing to risk shipping and the cost of reselling? If you are willing to take the risk, the reward is likely there for you IMO.

Bill

Thanks for the fast replys - I know I'm putting you all on the spot when asking a questions like this and it's difficult to answer without pointing out the obvious - Listen To Them!! Mr McGoo brought forward a point that I was going to ask... mid's via la horn. I've never heard mid's driven by a horn and I can't get my head around how it might sound - the more I think about it, the more I'm beginnig to realize that I will have to bite the bullet on a set of these to really get the answers I'm digging for. And as you have all pointed out, I've never heard of anyone here or else where saying they didn't like the Forte's - I'm just looking for a little bit more of a comfort level and you have helped provide it - again, thanks for your input.

One final thought that I should have included in my original post... I love the 3.5's - for my listening, they deliver in every regard. I just have this itch to step up and I'm a believer in that bigger is not always better

Paul Klipsch said that we live in the mid range. He also designed speakers with horns to lower distortion. A good horn mid-range is a hallmark of the Klipsch Heritage sound. PWK thought that the bass should be horn loaded as well, but that made for huge speakers. The two way horn designs are a very good compromise.

The passive radiator on the Forte helps the bass keep up with the horn mids and tweeter. The Forte II used tractrix horns for good sound out of a smaller speaker. The tractrix horn of the Forte II was the big change from the original Forte.

I have never read a bad word about the Forte. DeanG can rebuild the crossovers for a very smoth sound.

Bill

I love my Forte 1s The just SING! max is right they are an AWSOME rock speaker but they are not limited to rock, they play everything well. If you do not have the room for larger speakers, these will fill the bill nicely. Oh btw, another difference in the 1s vs the 2s is that the passive radiator is 12" of the 1s and 15" on the 2s

I have never heard the 3.5s so I can not compair them for you. I would be glad to let you hear mine if you are ever in So. Cal.

Fortes are excellent speakers (both the Type I and II varieties). If you like the "Klipsch sound," I can't imagine you wouldn't like the Fortes. I have never owned them, but have arranged purchases for my father and my best friend. That right there should say something, at least as far as my opinion of them goes.

----------------

On 12/15/2004 11:01:07 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 12/15/2004 5:20:54 AM maxg wrote:

Forte's are the ultimate Rock speakers. If you listen to Rock - BUY THEM!!!

That simple.

----------------

I thought KLF-30s were the ultimate Rock speakers.
4.gif

----------------

HAHA - that would depend if you were listening to "hard rock" or "soft rock".

Black7, buy the Forte IIs - they're great for any kinda rock, jazz, country or classical. Talk radio even sounds good on the darn things!

Black7,

I checked the product line and the spec sheet doesn't open for me. It looks like the KG 3.5 has about an 8 inch woofer in bass reflex and a fairly small horn. That is very thin beer compared to the Forte II. I've not heard the KG 3.5 though and we're all a bit cautious. Too much.

I have a pair of FII and love them.

You're going to a much more sophisticated woofer with a 12 inch driver and 15 inch passive.

The tractrix midrange is a big step up. I believe it has better directional control (the article on Tractrix shows it) and this reduces unwanted reflections in the room.

The tweeter is very good too.

There is very little chance you will not be pleased as punch. "In the unlikely event" you're not, you can sell them at pretty much the same price.

Best,

Gil

----------------

On 12/15/2004 11:01:07 PM garymd wrote:

----------------

On 12/15/2004 5:20:54 AM maxg wrote:

Forte's are the ultimate Rock speakers. If you listen to Rock - BUY THEM!!!

That simple.

----------------

I thought KLF-30s were the ultimate Rock speakers.
4.gif

----------------

No Gary - KLF 30's are the ultimate Dance speakers - 4 * 12 inch woofers in a line see to that. They are not bad at rock - but the Forte's rule there - IMHO / YMMV and all that.

----------------

On 12/15/2004 10:31:16 PM lipinski wrote:

Man, a rockin' Raul Maulo (solo albumn by the lead singer for the Mavericks) song just came on the best Austin Texas radio station while I was re-reading this thread.

I cranked the volume into my forte IIs. Pull the trigger, you won't be sorry.

----------------

He's a great singer. He's not far off being up there with some of the best pop vocalists ever. Not quite up there with the 'King' in his heyday, but he'll give every other male singer a run for his money. Thanks. I'll check out his new album.

I have a pair of KG2.5s (well, the kid has them at college) and they are great sounding speakers. lipinski is right about the difficulties in finding words to express the differences in sound produced by similar speakers. However, I think you will hear much more with the Forte IIs. When I first got them, the family agreed that we heard new things (little subtle things) that werent audible on the 2.5s. Tighter and more realistic bass with smooth mid and high reproduction were also noticed.

Forte IIs will hold their value. Keep the 3.5s until you feel comfortable with your decision or tell us where you live and maybe somebody will invite you over for a listen.

I recall reading, on this Forum, that Paul K had a pair of Forte IIs in his office!

I like to thank you all for the informative feedback. I'm going to look into the purchase over the holidays.

BTW, I live in Winnipeg, Canada - I don't anyone who owns Klipsch speakers let alone the Forte's. I have a few friends that are aware of the brand but know little about them other than reputation (which is positive in most cases). A few of your points that have helped me better understand are:

- Controled Bass - this is a must for me and I was a little concerned about the 12" driver being a little sloppy.

- smooth mid's - this is where I was having the most difficulty due to my zero experince with mid horns. I listen to mainly soft rock from the 70's/80's , ie; Steely Dan, Billy Joel, plus some of the newer stuff like Jack Johnson (and David Elias)and other mainly acoustic offerings. Most of these guys are into high quality production and I want speakers that will bring the best out of this type of music.

Once again, thank you for the feedback and the offers for a listen (too bad I'm nowhere near most of you)

-