"burn-in" time for interconnects, speaker wire

bernmart

I got some great advice from several of you a few weeks ago, and I've been improving the sound of my Fortes in increments: first replacing my receiver w/ a vintage Harmon-Kardon; then replacing my CD plaer with a Rotel, both for its own sake and because it has a "digital-out" jack so I can buy and use a DAC if I choose. Both of these upgrades made an immediate, obvious difference.

I also bought a pair of silver interconnects. The improvement here is subtle, but I do hear it. I think. My question, though is about burn-in. The manufacturer says there's a 20-50 hour burn-in during which the sound improves. Is this so, or is it another audio myth? How can something which has no moving parts need a break-in period?

Or (the skeptic in me says) is the burn-in period a chance for the listener to convince himself that this small upgrade really makes a difference?

Bernmart,

Not being technically minded, I don't understand lots of the things that do need burn in. However, I think interconnects and speaker wire are in the real of things that just work as they are. No need for burn in.

Your thought that time listening is a factor in our perception is right on track. My experience with silver interconnects was that they definitely made a "difference". They did, to my ears, reveal more detail in the high end, but the bass seemed to suffer. I think such "upgrades" are simply a matter of personal preference and that which we prefer for our own "reference".

----------------

On 12/18/2004 11:51:53 AM bernmart wrote:

I got some great advice from several of you a few weeks ago, and I've been improving the sound of my Fortes in increments: first replacing my receiver w/ a vintage Harmon-Kardon; then replacing my CD plaer with a Rotel, both for its own sake and because it has a "digital-out" jack so I can buy and use a DAC if I choose. Both of these upgrades made an immediate, obvious difference.

I also bought a pair of silver interconnects. The improvement here is subtle, but I do hear it. I think. My question, though is about burn-in. The manufacturer says there's a 20-50 hour burn-in during which the sound improves. Is this so, or is it another audio myth? How can something which has no moving parts need a break-in period?

Or (the skeptic in me says) is the burn-in period a chance for the listener to convince himself that this small upgrade really makes a difference?

----------------

I would not say it is a myth. Anytime I have made a change to a cable in my system (power, analog audio) it takes time for the sound to improve.

I never thought power cables would need burn-in time either. But they do.

The idea that wires "burn-in" is typical of the delusional thinking that bird-minded flibbertygibbets have infected this hobby with.

50 years ago, when almost everybody in this hobby was a DIYer and many were engineers, such inane ideas would have been scoffed at. Now, when all an audiophile does on his own is open his wallet, such psuedo-science is rife. As the technical skills of the hobbyist go down the amount of bull****, both thrown and believed, increases.

The problem with silver is corrosion. So it would slowly burn out, not in. That's why serious electronics people use gold flashing for contacts that can corrode and if they use silver they will somehow protect it from the environment. Silver contacts are usually an alloy to prevent arcing and burning. Stick with the gold stuff, but then again you don't have to believe me as I only have about 50 years experience.

JJK

One of my recent trips to an upscale audio establisment resulted in the sales drone showing me a cable with a battery. The $300 interconnects with the battery did not need to be broken in etc. It was all I could do to keep a straight face.

High end cables are all about money, not quality. This company was getting rid of Monster and going to AudioQuest. No doubt AQ offered better margins and higher prices.

Plain copper, if used properly, will usually do the trick without breaking the bank.

Bill

My only thought about a 20-50 burn-in time recommended by the cable manufacturer would be that they are hoping the "break-in period" will postpone your returning the cables past the usual time where the dealer would take them back without any questions. Or you might forget about it.

Great bunch of responses. Even when forum members disagree with each other, I learn a lot from reading their posts. In this case the consensus seems to be that burn-in is a myth. And since I've listened more than 20 hours since I've gotten these interconnects, I'll just stop worrying about it and play music!

Thanks again, y'all!

IF . . .

IF there is such a thing as "burn-in" time for cables and interconnects, then it goes without saying

that cables and interconnects also possess the capability to "burn-out".

How many burnt-out cables and interconnects have you seen?

How many burnt-out cables and interconnects can we collect in a pile if ALL forum members

contribute ALL the burnt-out cables and interconnects they have?

I bought some AudioQuest speaker cables for $125. last summer. They sounded great (for a while), now they sound like my old ones for $1.25 a foot! I think cables make a change, yes, but better? Maybe more bass or highs from one to another, but once your ears get adapted to them, the surprise goes away. IME........ Good thing I didn't buy that AQ 3/4 " dia. braded green power cable. They were $150. for a 1m cord. They sounded "Better" in the store.

----------------

On 12/18/2004 7:25:08 PM TBrennan wrote:

The idea that wires "burn-in" is typical of the delusional thinking that bird-minded flibbertygibbets have infected this hobby with.

50 years ago, when almost everybody in this hobby was a DIYer and many were engineers, such inane ideas would have been scoffed at. Now, when all an audiophile does on his own is open his wallet, such psuedo-science is rife. As the technical skills of the hobbyist go down the amount of bull****, both thrown and believed, increases.

----------------

I could not have said better myself.

BUT in the "we live in the middle of sun possibility. IF bur-in is needed, burn out will happen..

Now if we take the oxidation factor, the new hot metal is silver. All one has to do is take a new silver bowl , copper bowl, gold bowl, and platinum bowl. Expose each to the air and see which shows signs of Oxidation first.

Oxidation will have a detrimental effect of resistance and conductivity. Silver unfortunately is the new snake oil of the industry.

To me, after 37 years of experience with tubes, wire, etc., I have found that "break-in" seems to have come about with the advent of newly manufactured tubes, using NOS faster and a justification for the high prices charged.

Take an ohm-meter check brand new cables, "burn them in" for 40 hours. See if the resistance has changed.

The only parts I can agree with is either platinum or gold plating. As long as NO pportion of the copper is exposed and subject to oxidizing.

dodger

It was always instructive to go to trade shows and hear the sound slowly improve from set-up on Saturday night to tear-down on Wednesday morning.

I believe Jeff Rowland has the correct explaination:

The wire is self-annealing. It sounds better after it doesn't move for a while (days).

We devised a demonstration that showed an audible result.

Something that appeared to violate the laws of physics was watching Jeff and his lab tech (both near 7') fold themselves into a Mazda RX7.