50th ann. k-horn...ugly or VERY ugly? you tell me!

sunnysal

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kinda like it. The line in the middle of the bassbin breaks up that HUGE expanse of wood. I like that.

Orion says....

KLIPSCH

SPK, KLIPSCHORN 50TH ANNIVERSARY

Description: LIMITED EDITION

Manufacture Years: 1995 - 1996

Additional Information:

Retail

MSRP: $6,000.00

USED: $3,000.00

Wholesale

Mint: $1,800.00

Average: $1,000.00

Click here for a definition of Bluebook prices.

Those are an example of BAD "art-deco", i.e., pseudo-retro design. They do not even come close to authentic art-deco.

These are attrocious. They look like a Vitavox on a bad-hair day.

I wouldn't touch these with a ten foot pole. Just a cheap promotional gimmick. A pair of real "B"s look alot better.

DM

I have in my hand a letter written by PWK and dated 31 January 1996 in which he was lamenting the changes that were being made in the organization as his sun was setting. I will only quote one line inasmuch as the letter contains some personal material.

"The (few) Klipschorns still produced have been redesigned to resemble an imitation liquor cabinet."

That just about sums it up!

DR BILL

Thank you Tony and Father Bill for your observations.

That 50th anniversary Khorn looks like it ought to have a matching table radio and toaster. If Mr. Paul would have wanted his speakers to look like a throwback to the 50's, he would have made them look like that, back in the 50's! Instead he designed the timeless and mighty Khorn looks. Pretty cool IMO.

Now, that Jubilee pictured with Mr. Paul is one fine looking speaker.

Barbarian Swine? nah. Think of it like this... If you think the 50th anniversary Klipschorn is UGLY.... you just might be a RedNek.

The top portion of the Khorn in the late 40s and early 50s came in various styles. In cluding some with the rounded corners similer to the 50th anniversary unit. Remember Paul Klipsch licensed manufacture to a couple of other cabinet/speaker manufacture,s. Ive seen these styles befor. (yes i,m that old).

I like it. So much so that I almost purchased two different pairs during the last 3-1/2 years. The last time was almost one year ago when I missed out on a set by 20 minutes. These things don't go cheap either. I think the rarity appeals to me, but I do also like their appearance. Standard K-horns look very plain to me compared to these. Of course they all sound the same as cosmetics is the only difference, so I guess I can take solace in that with my "plain" K-horns. The below photo is of one from the set I missed out on earlier this year. I think it's quite attractive. However, I have never seen one in person, so there is the possibility that I wouldn't like it if I saw it in person. To each his own I guess...

DSCN0534.jpg

There are any number of people (not me) who could duplicate this too IMO on this BB. I like the fact that they are rare. More of a bragging rights I guess. It is almost a shame it didn't have some super secret tweeking done to make them better if possible. Kinda like buying a AMG Mercedes... It is still a mercedes (looks and all) just step on the gas for the "real" excitement!

I am not sure of the exact numbers, but I was once told or overheard there are fewer K horns sold each year than say Ferarri cars manufactured in the same year. Those that are in the "Klipschorn Club" understand were definitly in the elite audio club of the world as well.

----------------

On 12/31/2004 11:23:41 AM paulparrot wrote:

How much for a pair in excellent condition, you figure? Thanks for posting the excellent photo.

----------------

$4500 was the price for the pair of the photo I posted. Obviously, they are used, but seemed to be in mint condition. That was quite a bit higher than what I wanted to pay, but after mulling over it for a bit, I finally decided to pull the trigger. Apparently I thought about it a bit too long as they had just sold when I tried to make the purchase.