50th ann. k-horn...ugly or VERY ugly? you tell me!

sunnysal

I saw a pair of 50th ann Khorns, and they did not look like this! The pair I saw looked like regular B style with a special 50th ann logo.

FWIW, they looked nothing like this. The logo here is the standard old Pie logo, not the 50th ann logo I saw.

My vote, is that this is one ugly Khorn.

JM

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice picture, Max! That's the speaker I saw. There was a pair on the showroom at Harvey's Stereo in Springfield MO for quite a while. They may still be there for all I know. When I first saw them ('86-'87?) they had a sticker of about $12,000/pr., if memory serves.

My vote is for ugly. Lose the vertical strip as said by some others here. Also get rid of the two tone effect.

The 50th anniversary Klipschorns that I have seen were the standard "B" model done in rosewood with different badging. There is a photo somewhere of Paul standing next to one in an advertisement page.

My pic was taken from the klipsch product page under "50th Anniversary Klipschorn", I think all Klipshorns made during that year had badges but that these were the special anniversary models, perhaps trey or someone can find out whether there were any other differences between these and the normal klipschorn. I don´t like the way they look, the standard klipschorn is superior IMHO. regards, tony

That 50th anniversary Klipschorn was dressed in a special Art Deco style. And the bass bin came in various wood veneers. The top was rounded at the sides. Art deco in the 1920s was the first serious attempt at modern design and now are very collectable. The Klipschorn pays homage to the early 20th century. Take it as part of histery to early modern attempts of design ie autos, radios. clothing, archetecture. furniture, jewlery.

Barbaric swines.....Ill take it if you dont like it. Ill turn it around and make a bundle on it. A Art Deco show at the museum on the east coast is showing the best from all over the world. every thing made from that era. Cars cigerette lighters, furniture, paintings , lamps, Art deco swept europe like a firestorm. I have a letter opener & paper weight, Floor standing ash trey, wrist watch. All allin the deco style. Worth a ransome. Biedermeier furniture is a cousen design in the modern craze of that era. The good stuff is worth more than the new truck you bought. The Vitavox Klipschorn is another influence on that art deco style. The Vitavox Khorn is the Rolls Royce of Klipschorn linage.

my brudder photog Neo sez-

"You guys all have bad taste! I love it! It's the most beautiful KHorn you can ever get! I am gonna get a pair for myself! Where is Santa when I needed him? "

Neo- I wanna party wit you dude! These are remarkably tasteful works of art. Deco is back in people! This would be just the thing for my 50's Hearth Room if only I had the corners. For those babies, I'll BUILD corners. The two tone wood, breaking up the monolith slab front of bass bin with vertical stripe, rounded edge divider- this speaks to me.

Neo, maybe it's the 'artiste' in us (normally I despise the term) but is it something in our training/eye that allows us to salivate all over this whilst 80% deplore it?

BTW, when was 50th and are these babies available? This kind of forward thinking makes me want to dress up my Corns when they get their new veneer!

Michael

I like the second picture much better, although the wood calls attention to what otherwise is an unobtrusive panel snug in the corner, the Japanese would obviously love this model: it has symmetrical portions and parallel lines, the top has fit fitted to reflect the dimensions of the bottom, the horizontal lines are a contrast to the large bottom and the vertical stripe, giving the entire unit much greater balance!

6.gif

paul_w_klipsch_3.jpg

I assume this image is of PWK standing next to his Jubilee design (consumer model). I think that the limited edition 50th anniversary Klipschorn should've taken its design cues from the Jubilee. For example: the Klipschorn's squawker and tweeter horns being made of rosewood or other hardwood, although I'm positive the price would shoot straight through the roof! Or keep the same smaller-sized bevelled box that's shown but without any grill cloth, and finish its motorboard(?) in the same exotic wood as the bass bin (Decorator style?). And ditch that damn verticle stripe! I do like that wider base board with the 50th pie slice (or new) logo, though...and maybe spiked feet.

Just my two cents (all I can afford)!5.gif

post-11084-13819260024992_thumb.jpg