Klipschorns & Solid State

edwinr

Just in case you're wondering.

Atoll2.jpg

What a well designed solid state amplifier sounds like with my Klipschorns.

In a word, GREAT!

My Jolida SJ-302A integrated tube amplifier has been sacked.

I've replaced it with an Atoll Electronique IN50 integrated amplifier. This amplifier used to live upstairs, but has just been promoted to my main system.

Designed and built in France. 50 watts per channel. Two pre-outs. Alps potentiometers.

post-15368-13819260054238_thumb.jpg

Here's a look inside.

Atoll1.jpg

As you can see, nicely laid out. Good quality components.

I know, I know. You're asking 'why did I do it?'

Well, my Jolida developed a mechanical hum from the mains transformer. It kept getting worse. I contacted Jolida and isolated the transformer plus tightened all the nuts and bolts, and anything else I could think of. To no avail. So I sold it back to the store I purchased it from. I had bought it as a shop demo anyway. I'm now putting that money to a new Panasonic high definition widescreen projector.

How does the Atoll sound? As I said before, great. I admit I was rather surprised. When I hooked it up with some Keb 'Mo, I initially placed my fingers in my ears expecting the worst. But what came out was really good sound. Tight bass, extended highs and excellent resolution. In fact superior to my old Jolida. There's a tiny bit of hiss from the Klipschorns, but nothing significant. The mid range is probably not as liquid as the old tube amplifier, but that could be because the rest of the frequency range is so much more extended. In fact the sound reminds me of my old Creek amplifier.

So to those reluctant to try the Klipschorns with relatively inexpensive solid state, don't worry. Try it, you may be pleasantly surprised. 16.gif

post-15368-13819260054838_thumb.jpg

In one word try THRESHOLD .

Killer deals on ebay on the old built like tanks Status series.

Very nice tight low end with a smooth mid range to die for.

makes my 58 khorns smile.

The music box the no none klipsch dealer in new england back in the day.

Loved threshold and picked it over mac and levinson which they both sold.Mr Bell told me he like the sound of threshold over any of his old mac and Marantz amp back in the mid 90,s. Boy even Nakamichi back when they were king used Threshold status design fot there high end amps.

Rember Vintage Threshold is all Pass designed.

I just picked up two threshold amps on ebay cheap for around 600 each in mint condition.

Thanks for the nice comments. This amp really surprised me. I've tried several solid state amps with the Klipschorns just for fun, and they've varied from ordinary to horrible.

That hiss I mentioned before, I've worked out what it is. With the Jolida, there was a higher noise floor which covered any slight hiss. Now with a much lower noise floor, I can just hear the hiss at around a yard from the speaker. To all intents and purposes, the amplifier is completely noise free.

For those that favour the tactile senses (and have a knob fetish - come on, we know who you are!) the controls feel smooth and silky. The rounded knobs feel almost sensual... Who needs a remote when the knobs feel this good. 3.gif

For those who are interested, you pay extra for the alloy faceplate. It normally comes in black. Remote is an optional extra. So too is the phono stage. I didn't fit the remote or phono options as I originally intended this amp to be for my second system anyway.

Lets see if I keep this amp longer than Dean kept his Quad! 11.gif

Neat Edwin:

I'm glad you posted this! A combination of tube and solid state can also be good. In looking at and herein talking about (MY OWN) audio attitudes and behavior over the years, I am glad I have finally accepted the fact that solid state output devices are not inherently poor. There was a time about 10-12 years ago that every component and every AC/DC rectifier in my system simply had to be tube. I think that if our ultimate goal is to have the ability to listen to high-quality reproduction of recorded music at home, we would really be short-changing ourselves by automatically throwing the pad-lock on a component simply because it had a solid state rectifier and transistor in place of tubes. There are quite a few primarily tube-based designs that also use solid state technology -- such as in high voltage or filament rectifiers, transistor-based active loads, etc.

The ONLY thing that matters is that you like what you are hearing!

Enjoy,

Erik

Hi Guys,

Edwin is right! Only last weekend did I put my Muse One Hundred Sixty SS up against another tube amp, this time a 2A3 giant killer (8w home made over spec tube amp weighing 22kgs). This 2A3 is fantastic but my mate (the builder) was astounded at how well the Muse stood up against the 2A3 with the KHORNS. The Muse does give you the 'warmth' of tube gear but has the 'punch' of an SS, it is highly A class biased. I have had a number of tube amps set-up in my room but I have still stuck with the Muse. By the way, I do use a high spec tube (6SN7) pre and that helps. I also use a Morrison ELAD SS pre but with the KHORNS, loses some of the mid warmth, but the Morrison pre lets in a BIG bottom end. One thing is for sure the cleaner the gear is up the line, the better the KHORNS sound!