Is it worth it?

I hate asking this question, knowing what kind of fire this could really start in here, but... If I am running speaker wire through walls, and such, whats the difference if I pay 15 bucks for a 50' spool of 16 gauge (shielded) speaker wire from walmart, versus going to a home electronics store, and paying AT least double that for the same thing? IS there really that much of a difference in sound quality/loss using wire found in the automotive section of walmart, versus spending gobs of money for something thats going into one wall, and out to a speaker?

----------------

On 1/5/2005 12:01:52 AM ignorance_is_not_bliss wrote:

I hate asking this question, knowing what kind of fire this could really start in here, but... If I am running speaker wire through walls, and such, whats the difference if I pay 15 bucks for a 50' spool of 16 gauge (shielded) speaker wire from walmart, versus going to a home electronics store, and paying AT least double that for the same thing? IS there really that much of a difference in sound quality/loss using wire found in the automotive section of walmart, versus spending gobs of money for something thats going into one wall, and out to a speaker?

----------------

You mention fire. One thing about cables in wall cavities. Electrical Code Specifications.

Usually 2 things are important:

Cable must be rated for in wall use,

In Code, cabes should be run by a professional, then the work is inspected.

People may agree or disagree. I am only summing.

As far as the cables you mention, go for a heavier Gauge.

Audiophile cables are usuall 999.9 % oxygen free. They also ofeer better jackets.

But to me it's the gauge versus the length of the run.

dodger

Sonically no real difference, but wire that is designed for in-wall usage has a fire retardant jacket and is rated cl3 ft4. You wouldn't want to install a wire that is not up to code, or one that would compromise the fire retardancy of a wall system. Note this is why we use fire stops and gypsum board.

Remember the tragedy in a downstairs nightclub in rhode island burnt, and 99 people lost their lives? The owners of the club had purchased polyurethane foam to soundproof the building, knowing full well that what they purchased was NOT fire retardent and NOT approved for that usage. The band Great White was also partly to blame, as they had not notified the club owners about using pyrotechnics.

If you use a wire with a jacket that is NOT fire retardent, and a fire breaks out in your wall system, it will spread like wildfire throughout the studding. I am not trying to scare you, but for the few pennies more a foot, please install a wire that is approved. If you are against paying full retail and then some, check out the offerings from Parts Express, (www.partsexpress.com). They carry their own brand Dayton, and also Monster.

hello im confused a little by some of the replys, is there a current running thru speaker wires that can cause a short there by starting a fire, i have never been shocked by speaker wires, dont understand how they can start a fire , or are you saying if a fire starts through some other means a pair of 12 ga. wires will cause the fire to get worse, i know there is a code for electrical conductive wires running thru a home but i know of no such code requirements for speaker wires, i am in the construction business and i see speaker wires run thru alot of new homes for in wall speaker systems(in ceiling also), but i dont see special wire being used, i personally have installed in ceiling speaker systems without the use of special wireing, just wandering Joe

I believe the concern is not one of the speaker wires actually causing a fire, but being used as a conduit for a fire. A fire could follow the path of the cable run if the wire jacket is not flame resistant.

The fire path would be through any holes that are needed for the cable run with the burning wire jacket feeding the fire along the way.

There is some confusion in this thread concerning "fireproof" jackets and inwall speaker cables in general.

1. Most residential codes do not require that wires in walls be in conduit.(New York City is exception I do believe.)

2. Standard PVC jacketed cable is fine for inwall use.

3. "Plenum" cable is designed NOT to emit toxic fumes when it burns. It will burn, but the fumes coming off of it are not fatal. All cables in commercial buildings that are put into an airspace that is used for a cold air return (hence plenum) need to be plenum rated. This code is a result from a hotel fire in Atlanta in the 1930's in which many people died from breathing toxic fumes from burning wire insulation and not from the fire itself.

4. "Shielded" cable should NOT be used for speaker cables. The overall shielding can actually act like an antenna and increase the possibility of RF interference. Standard inwall speaker cable is a twisted pair configuration and rejects interference by it's design.

For longer runs of speaker cable, I recommend 12 awg cable. Many Klipsch speakers have minimum impedances below 4 ohms. The 12 awg cable can improve performance on longer runs.

Zip cord was good enough for PWK, so I use 12 awg zip cord to run to my surrounds.

Bill

I have spent some time investigating the subject, but I do not have access to sections of the NEC regarding low voltage cabling.

Plenum cable is, as russ said designed not to emit toxic fumes, and is required to pass a smoke opacity test. Shielded cable should not be used, and twisted pair rejects rf.

CL3 is class 3 wiring, CL3P is class 3, plenum. There is also a CL3R for riser installation.

Maybe an electrician that deals with low voltage all the time can clear this up for sure.

http://ulstandardsinfonet.ul.com/scopes/0013.html

----------------

On 1/5/2005 1:43:00 PM yaffstone wrote:

Watts(W) = Volts (V) X Current (I)

V = I X resistance ®

Therefore W = I*I*R

At 100W and 4 ohms resistance (impediance) I = 5 amps, V = 20.

----------------

okay, now we've gone from english to math!?! what in Zeuses name are we talking about here? I understand about the fire retardant coating of the wire inside a wall, but completely LOST when yall start talking about math as it relates to possibilities of a fire, due to faulty wiring on my behalf.

Nobody is worried about faulty wiring, just that the fact is that putting 100 watts to a 4 ohm speaker, incurrs 5 amps in the speaker wire. 200 watts would net roughly 7 amps of current flow at 28.28 volts.

As you can see, there is little potential for harm from the low voltage and amperage that is through your speaker wire, from your amplifier to the speaker.

The longer the speaker wire run, the larger the wire you need to avoid loss. For an 8 ohm speaker, a run of 60 feet or less, 16 gauge is adequate. However, you may choose to go slightly larger in gauge, as it is only pennies more a foot.