Best CD player hou ever heard...

Audio Flynn

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1108404577

This is the Jolida; I belive it to be the same model SHAPESHIFTER brought over to my house.

I still cannot describe the sound.

It was better than the MSB DAC II wth upsampling and the Sony ES 333 I have heard quite frequently. Not by a little, by a couple of steps up.

I never listen to CD players or DACs over $ 1000 because I just cannot afford them.

I can't remember the exact model number, but the best sounding CD player I've heard is a Carver 1bit DAC. No matter what quality the downstream equipment is, you can always hear the improvement switching to this player. It also has a very nice transport and costs only a couple hundred dollars. Carver went out of business and now doesn't make them anymore (they're back now), but every once in a while I'll see one on the used market and wish I had the money to get it.

With each generation of DAC, things take a little jump forward. There are $200 players now that sound as good or better than $2000 units from 5 years ago. It's depressing. Seriously, figure two years after you've bought something -- it's damn near obsolete. As good as I think my 9000es sounds, I know it's time.

Here's a true Gem: Samsung HD-841 DVD player (~$180).

I got the Multiformat DVD player (it plays just about all audio and video disks you can feed it...) to compare its DVI-D video output to Bravo D2 DVD player that everyone's been raving about. To my total surprise, its two channel Red Book CD play back performance is outstanding. I would attribute HD-841's stella performance with the latest development in all-in-one digital chipset (don't know what it is since I haven't opened its top). Having low number of internal components with minimal power requirements, its meger power supply must be good enough. It is totally transparent and true to its original recording. The only difference I hear between Samsung and much more expensive Sony SCD-1 is the added filter settings in Sony - altering the soincs (making the sound a little pleasant to my ears but different).

I would recommend it.

Ki

----------------

On 1/5/2005 10:25:36 PM Audio Flynn wrote:

This is the Jolida; I belive it to be the same model SHAPESHIFTER brought over to my house.

I still cannot describe the sound.

It was better than the MSB DAC II wth upsampling and the Sony ES 333 I have heard quite frequently. Not by a little, by a couple of steps up.

I never listen to CD players or DACs over $ 1000 because I just cannot afford them.

----------------

Yep, JD-100A - that's the best I've heard. The soundstage is larger than most, pretty detailed - but SMOOTH!!

That's why I bought a modded version. Highly recommended in either stock or modded form.

Carl.

----------------

On 1/6/2005 1:00:53 PM chris kaye wrote:

Took a listen to the AH! recently... no doubt in my mind that it's the best CD player I've every heard! Not a bad price point too! Hey, I wonder if I could Hot Rod my output second in my Samsung HD 931 with tubes! JK!

----------------

It could be worth taking a look at decware.com

The guy there mods a couple of Sony units, that looks to (a non tech type) that a real tech type could accomplish the mods diy. On the decware unit, tube is cute sticking out of the back in an orientation horizontal to the cd player.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/6/2005 11:41:27 AM Audio Flynn wrote:

Well what are you waiting for, it's under a grand!

+++++++++++++++++

1. I am not disatisfied with my sound quality.

2. Spent over $ 1700 in car reapirs in the past 2 months.

At least I have no car payments.

----------------

Car payments may be a better choice than 1700!!! that is a lot of money

Dean - That's what's known as the "Musical Fidelity theory." Those guys come out with a new player ever 6 months which they claim is THE BEST EVER, thoroughly trouncing there earlier model. It IS depressing (I own a TriVista 21 DAC - which I love BTW!), but I wouldn't buy into all the hype. Top notch ceedee units from 5 years ago still sound state of the art. I recently heard a Levinson 360s dac with my 37 transport and rank it among the best cd sound, if not the best, that I have ever heard. That unit is from the 90s!

We are a pretty demanding crew, but don't drive yourself crazy. New DACS come about every few months. You will never have the newest model for long. It's like buying a new PC. Your Sony is a great unit. Have it modded if you want an upgrade.

----------------

On 1/6/2005 2:07:58 PM Gramas701 wrote:

----------------

On 1/6/2005 11:41:27 AM Audio Flynn wrote:

Well what are you waiting for, it's under a grand!

+++++++++++++++++

1. I am not disatisfied with my sound quality.

2. Spent over $ 1700 in car reapirs in the past 2 months.

At least I have no car payments.

----------------

Car payments may be a better choice than 1700!!! that is a lot of money

----------------

Car payments ARE alot of money, couple that with the depreciation factor along with the interest you pay on the loan for 3 to 5 years. In the end the vehicle is only worth a fraction of what it all cost to obtain. In that light of the facts, what's a better choice, fix what you have to make it reliable or commit yourself to payments.

Tom

Actually tyhis is the first time other than tires and oil changes I have been hit in 2 years with major repairs.

Biggest factor not to finance is cost of insurance for 2 drivers under the age of 22 in the house.

Wayne county near Detroit in Michigan is nasty for insurance. For 3 cars I pay almost $ 3500 per year with only liability on 2 of them; collision for the newest one.

If I had another financed car it would be closer to $ 5000.

My Saturn and Ford VAn both have over 95,000 miles and run pretty close to showroom new for valve and bearing quietness.