This is proving harder than choosing a wife.....

maxg

The ongoing tale of woe that is my turntable future. As follows:

Decided that the Maximum solution from Clearaudio is out - for now - just too much money with the arm I want.

The Master Solution (Allan's reservations on nomenclature notwithstanding) is a real possibility:

solution4.jpg

Which I could buy with one of the linear tracking arms, possibly even:

tangential_tqi3.jpg

Trouble is that I have tony putting his all in every 5 minutes with other options.

Last week he was all a buzz on Linn - he had heard one and was VERY excited about it. "Most musical system he has ever heard" and all that jazz.

He thought he had heard a TT for about 2500 euros - he hadnt. We spoke to the owner and it turns out the guy has the top end Linn arm, the power supply, the cartridge, the phono stage, a special bass....all in all 17,000 euros. Sure the basic TT is 2500 - but those extras really add up.

In the meantime he had been driving me mad to investigate Acoustic solid. I did - and it is interesting:

One.jpg

The dealer will throw in a Hadcock arm:

242se.jpg

Which is a really super arm - if you have a high compliance cartridge - really not sure how it will cope with the Shelter however - which is very low compliance.

All for 4000 euros - hmmmm.

Final tony input of the day. He can get a second hand Verdier (the maglev table thingie) for 4000 without an arm - it is supposed to be the business.

HIFIPLUSTURN2ltl.jpg

In the meantime the dealer with the Acoustic solids also happened to have in the strangest TT I have seen in a while. A big old direct drive (I assume) Technics (1000?) with an air arm of some sort that looked way cool and apparently sounds great - but for 4500...rumble would be a worry here!!

I still havent gotten round to Basis and there is the VPI Scoutmaster plus at 5000 which is worth a look or 2..

All in all - I am nowhere and my birthday is just days away. Still SWMBO is dealing with the amounts I am talking about rather well - she hasn't moved out yet anyway.

Wolfram,

That is 2 people telling me to get the Verdier - could be a good option - but I have no idea what arm to match with it. The combo could get pricey...

Colin,

No isolation platform yet - I will get one when I have selected the TT. Right now I have a metal stand with a large piece of marble on top of it supporing the current TT. With solid floors it has never really been an issue to date.

----------------

On 1/10/2005 11:02:30 AM maxg wrote:

Still SWMBO is dealing with the amounts I am talking about rather well - she hasn't moved out yet anyway.

----------------

Why should she? This will probably be all the extra evidence she needs to have you committed 1.gif

----------------

On 1/10/2005 12:53:12 PM paulparrot wrote:

----------------

On 1/10/2005 11:02:30 AM maxg wrote:

Still SWMBO is dealing with the amounts I am talking about rather well - she hasn't moved out yet anyway.

----------------

Why should she? This will probably be all the extra evidence she needs to have you committed
1.gif

----------------

I'm racking my head here... what does SWMBO stand for? Obviously it's the partner in the house... but I'm stuck bewond that!1.gif

She Who Must Be Obeyed...

BTW Max, I never even considered belt drive versus rim drive when I chose my wife...

If truth be known, SHE chose ME. I still have the lump on my head where the club hit me (or, is she such a good shot she keeps hitting the same spot?).

Max,

I can only recommend what I've heard. The VPI Scout is very musical, throws a big soundstage and now with the current Micro Benz Glider .9mv cart it has pulled far ahead of my digital front end in regards to the soundstage, imageing & smoothness it puts forth. The Soutmaster's Plinth is thicker than the Scout so that should take you to the next level over the Scout, maybe someone can chime in if they've done the upgrade.

Tom

----------------

On 1/10/2005 2:23:21 PM Cal Blacksmith wrote:

All these new fangled TTs! You know a purest would use a wind up Victrolla with those spike needles. You can still buy them new, or sharpen the old ones!

----------------

I have an Edison Cylinder Home Phonograph with the original Owner Manual I'll sell for 1 / 2 the price.

dodger

Win,

Sounds fascinating but I was rather hoping for something that would play my existing record collection.

So I think we can take it as read that 33.3 rpm is a must. 45 rpm would not be a disadvantage either..

Paul,

Swmbo had all the data she needed to have me commited by about 1986. This turntable thing is just gilding the lily.

Fini,

I am still trying to decide if what you wrote is incredibly rude or not - maybe the most risque thing ever posted on this website - or not. Who knows..

All,

Tony was here all evening - a dozen options discused and I cant remember what conclusions we came to - except that TAS seem to love the Clearaudio Solution series and both the master and maximum solutions get a best buy rating. That is either good news or rather suspicious depending on your POV.

Max,

What is the price of a pair of Khorns delivered to your home? At the prices quoted for the turntables, there are many options that should provide a bigger improvement in sound quality.

Another possibility is a top quality SACD player. I hear no noise, just pure music when I listen to a good SACD. Telarc has some good classical titles.

Bill

Gramas,

Yes - LP's are my primary source by about 95% to 5% for all the rest.

Film,

It as been my TT for the last 3 years. I never intended the TT to last this long - it was supposed to be the test bed that I used to understand what the various components do in the production of music on a vinyl system.

Thing was - after upgrading the arm, cartridge, phono stage, feet, platter and removing the motor to a safe distance it really did sound rather good.

I would put it on a par with tables that cost the money it has cost me - namely about $2,500 all in. To move up from there I really have to look at spending 5000 to get a meaningful difference.

Deang,

This is the logic that had kept the project in my system till now. There is always something else to look at - especially if you are bringing speakers into the equation.

The thing is that whilst there is some WAF resistance to my changing the TT the resistance to changing the speakers would be 10 times this.

It is a funny thing that whilst I do not think my speakers look all that good the wife loves them. I think there is an element of pride for her in the fact I built them - she cant quite believe it - and she happens to really like the sound.

Bill,

A pair of KHorns would cost about 9000 euros here - with huge discounts - and I have no corners - so it is academic.

As it happens the wife is talking about moving. We may buy a house later on this year. If we do I will try to sneak living room design and acoustics into the equation for our selection process.

An SACD player is not an option. I have a basic unit anyway - and some 70 SACD's - but I have over 1000 records with new ones costing $2-$6 a piece.

All,

It may appear to be a lot to spend on a TT - frankly it is - but there are a few factors in its favour:

1. Usage - if any part of my system gets used it is the TT - daily for a minimum of an hour. In reality it is all I ever listen to.

2. Life expectancy - all of these tables are built to last. With a little care they should all out live me - and whichever one I end up with I expect it to be the last TT I ever own. (Note : In the case of the Clearaudio however - the target would be to finally own the Maximum solution - that would be my ultimate unit). Obviously getting anything over 5 years out of an SACD player - however good - would be someting of a bonus.

3. Buying a "final" TT now does not mean that other items (speakers et al) will not be upgraded at a later date. Those, however, would need the additional stimulus of a change of house - "Look honey - the sound has collapsed in this room - no surprise - I built the system for the last room and we have not been lucky - I need new speakers, amps, preamp - but my TT is fine!"

Good input though - thanks Guys...(well - maybe not Fini)9.gif