New Copy Protection on CD's?

Joe Shmoe

This isn't even the most insidious copy protection scheme out there right now. Some CDs will no longer play in computer CDROM drives AT ALL, and will not play in a large number of regular CD players. Furthermore, many DVD movies have hidden spyware that attempts to contact the publisher over the internet anytime someone plays the DVD on a computer, and sends the name (on Windows registration), IP, network card physical address and windows serial number.

And it gets even better. Some new DVDs include a HD track on 2nd side, which is encoded in Windows Media HD format, playable on a computer. But in order to play it, you have to 'aquire a license' from the publisher by giving your name, address and phone number... EVERY TIME you want to play, even though you ALREADY PAID for the DVD.

That's alright, if a CD has copy protection, I WILL NOT buy it. Period. The first two things I do when I buy a new CD are 1. Rip it to my harddrive and 2. Make a copy for my car.

As far as the Windows Media HD discs, you do not have to aquire a license EVERY TIME you play the disc, just every few days or so. Not that that makes it any better, I just wanted to clarify.

I do not have auto-play enabled on any of the drives on any of my computers. And I will not allow the InterActual Player anywhere near my computer.

These guys creating these things are stupid! lol Don't they know that there is a way to get around everything? And fast too ;) No way in hell I am purchasing something that has a lock on it. Now something without a lock yes lol aka Burned and original like duplicate.

-antonio

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/18/2005 1:08:53 AM toddvj wrote:

That's alright, if a CD has copy protection, I WILL NOT buy it. Period. The first two things I do when I buy a new CD are 1. Rip it to my harddrive and 2. Make a copy for my car.

As far as the Windows Media HD discs, you do not have to aquire a license EVERY TIME you play the disc, just every few days or so. Not that that makes it any better, I just wanted to clarify.

I do not have auto-play enabled on any of the drives on any of my computers. And I will not allow the InterActual Player anywhere near my computer.

----------------

everytime i get a cd it goes straight to my hd in case it gets lost, but the thign with dvd's is what if you go on vaction and you do not have accesses to the internet is that just ohh well your screwed and sol? i don't get it..... it really upsets me because i pay for my media

----------------

On 1/15/2005 11:38:33 PM Scp53 wrote:

that sucks. but theres a LOT of people that copy stuff. maybe it needs to be done

if you were an artist or producer what would you think? i myself would want my creations/etc protected. not sure to these great extents. that dvd thing is bogus

scp53

----------------

I see your point, HOWEVER, HOLLYWOOD SUCKS! Rock and roll music these days suck.

I have a yet to copy so much as 1 DVD. If it provides me entertainment, i have no problem paying the 15~20 dollars. However, with music? No.... Sorry.. But hollywood has got themselves into this mess. they put out crap bands with 1 maybe 2 songs on a CD that are questionable to begin with, the rest is 100% bonafied crap and they want you to pay 15+ bucks... No... sorry hollywood. You screwed the pooch, now I hope you rot.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Hollywood does not want to produce good bands anymore. There's not money in it. When a band gets good, they get a serious name going for them, it gives them a little power to tell the record company how things are going to be, rather than the record company telling the band how things are going to be. When it gets to that point, the record company is done with them and tosses them to the curb. The then grab the next no tallent band and mass market them for 6 months to a year... grab every cent they can. next.

I'm a rocker, I love my rock and roll. However, I bet I can count on 1 hand the number of rock and roll CDs I've purchased in the last 10 years... Why? I've already told you, rock and roll of today sucks. It has for the past 15 years and it will continue to suck until hollywood finally gets a clue and realizes that until they start putting out good music, people will continue to rip them off. Nobody wants to pay for a turd.

I'm sick of the abuse of the "lock" on DVDs, where you can't fast-forward and have to sit watching something. I've seen the FBI/Interpol message; I don't need to be warned again. I don't care to see a notice, in 3 languages, that the movie publishers do not necessarily agree with the views expressed in the movie. You can't even skip over corporate logos! I don't want to sit through a 30 second animation every time I go into the DVD menu. There are some DVDs that my kids have seen over a dozen times that have a "proctected" intro over 1 minute long. Sit through that every time you put it on! Drives me nuts.

The worst DVDs are some from Disney where you can't go to the DVD menu immediately and have to fast-forward through 5 minutes of previews of other films! Now that's abusing the system!

It's only going to get worse...

What I often do is go through it all to the real start of the movie and press the location memory button. Then the next time I pop in the DVD I press the memory button and go immediately to the start.

For Audio blank CDs there is already a "tax" for Copyrights, authoring, artist.

How do they figure who gets how much. I have never seen a breakdown.

Statements of fewer CDs sold. Irritations with Format changes couldn't contribute could they?

Gee, they didn't have this problem with LPs. As noted before, they do not want you to have the ability to make a copy for your car in a compilation of songs you make.

dodger

Yea, I remeber when the cassette was going to cause the demise of the recording industry! HA, if that was the least of their worries today. Ironically, the cassette is the thing you can still copy anything onto. I wonder if the "industry" realizes that they probably spend more trying to cirumvent dupilcation than they prevent? Maybe they should spend more in developing bands people would want to keep in their collection for more than a week?

Also, with the pay for download services at pretty reasonable rates, and the pretty inconsistant and dangerous nature of the free services, you'd think most of their problems would be solved. But they are just going to keep beating it to death, and probably charge $20 now for CDs with copy protection, since it's a "new" technology and all, just like the CD. (roll eyes) A cassette tape, new (yes they still exist), is half or less the price of a CD, yet is far more expensive to produce.

Hopefully some one with some big bucks will finally decide to kick these thieves in the ***.

----------------

On 1/18/2005 2:48:34 PM Cal Blacksmith wrote:

As is true with ANY copy protection, you only hurt the honest user. The people who are going to go into megga copy/sales will find a way around the locks. If someone could figure a way to lock it, someone will figgure a way to unlock it.

----------------

Very True. What Dean said is very true. Other than Clapton(this is all my OPINION), Stewart and finding CDs I've been looking for, I do not get enthused by the "music" available.

We had "Boy Bands," now we have Spears, et. al..

The music industry has shot itself in the foot. But it is nice to note the number of re-releases by other groups of 60s, 70s music.

I wonder if thirty years from now, music from today will be copied. I post with a laugh.

dodger

Oh come on...there's is plenty of good new music. Even rock (killers, white stripes, strokes, etc.). Many here seem to equate "new music" with teen pop and pine for the music of their youth. Being nostaligic is fine, but try not to miss the here and now while you are looking back.

----------------

On 1/18/2005 3:32:20 PM kev313 wrote:

Oh come on...there's is plenty of good new music. Even rock (killers, white stripes, strokes, etc.). Many here seem to equate "new music" with teen pop and pine for the music of their youth. Being nostaligic is fine, but try not to miss the here and now while you are looking back.

----------------

True. Las Lonely Boys new song is good.

I've mellowed a bit. So that's where I come from.

Guilty of lumping all together.

dodger

Death Cab For Cutie, Bright Eyes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, ...and you will know us by the trail of the dead, Cat Power,The Decendants, the sea and cake (all newish)

AND Wilco, Modest Mouse, Radiohead, Flaming Lips, Tom Waits, Bjork, PJ Harvey, and Davids Byrne and Bowie continue to put out some of their best work

Good albums are still getting made. The problem is corporate radio and the listeners who tolerate it.