ow High is Up?

Ray Garrison

The thing that bothers me is that the room they're in isn't even symmetrical. I don't understand spending that much money and then having a wall on one side, and nothing on the other...it leaves such a big hole in the music 14.gif

For even $100,000 it would be a trivial matter to build a very large dedicated room (which of course leaves $275,000 for purchasing speakers, lol)

----------------

On 1/19/2005 3:38:08 AM maxg wrote:

What is the coffin in the middle for? Low WAF?

Seriously - I cannot figure out what the middle box is - a sub perhaps?

----------------

The coffin is actually a time capsule that brings you back to exactly one minute before you proudly showed your new speakers to your wife. If, due to cosmic interference, your timeleap fails, you can be buried in it! 2.gif

Imagine what would happen if your cat managed to crawl in and you didn't notice it?6.gif11.gif9.gif

The price may seem high, but:

1) According to their write-up, it "is without question the best speaker in the world."

2) "The company was one of the first, if not the very first, to use horns in their loudspeaker design."

3) The buyer gets to choose the horn color from any German automotive paint there is.

Also:

***The Excalibur is a high efficiency speaker with only low power required to get them playing loudly. The woofer and midrange are standard technology (although made of the highest quality materials) but its main claim to fame is an ion tweeter. In most speakers, the tweeter is a mechanical device where magnets propel some form of diaphragm or other material to generate sound waves, normally costing $100 to $200.

The Excalibur uses an ion tweeter, where voltage is shunted in between two electrodes, energizing the air and creating sound. It is the only massless tweeter on the market, with no moving parts. The tweeters alone would cost the manufacturer about $10,000.***

Oh, yeah. ion tweeter supply.

At first, I thought the middle cabinet was fitted on the inside with bunks... for the owner and his audiophile friends.... since he ain't gonna be sleeping in the master bedroom. With a system like this, sleeping on the couch is uncool.

I, once again, wonder about having a tweeter tucked behind all those horn curves...what must this things radiation pattern look like?! all sorts of drops out I suspect...for that kinda money I might instead buy a new set of cars and a "mid-fi" system with revel speakers, krell amps, etc...tony

btw here is a DIY plasma tweeter http://www.plasmatweeter.de/eng_plasma.htm

(this guy is also a single driver enthusiast/SET)

plasma.jpg

Power supply for the tweeter huh? Somehow that isnt obvious!!

I think it is the same size as my first appartment! Does it have to be front and centre like that? Couldnt it be mounted somewhere else - like a power station some miles away maybe....