Tube amps

Matthorns

Im only new to this but i have been hearing so much about tube amps.

Not have ever heard any I dont know what is so good about them.

What there ups and downs are.

Im interested in anything that can make my music listing expirance mor enjoyable.

Any feedback here would be a great help in setting my mind in the direction i want to go.1.gif

----------------

On 1/19/2005 6:15:34 PM Matthorns wrote:

Im only new to this but i have been hearing so much about tube amps.

Not have ever heard any I dont know what is so good about them.

What there ups and downs are.

Im interested in anything that can make my music listing expirance mor enjoyable.

Any feedback here would be a great help in setting my mind in the direction i want to go.
1.gif

----------------

Welcome to the Forum!

Tube amps: My Opinions:

I find more sonic accuracy. Bass seems more realistic, better mids and very nice highs.

Along with those properties for some of us here there is a nostalgia factor. We can change a tube, the value is such that they are worth repairing or re-building.

Tube changing, or tube rolling, gives you access to different brands and their own properties to add or detract.

The downs are the prices for New Old Stock NOS tubes. New tubes are being made, qualities vary. Prices are lower.

I would ask what Speakers and size of room, music choice etc..

But, without knocking Solid State - I have one tubed system, one Solid State - tubes appear to give the life embedded in a recording.

Hopefully I've answered a few of your questions. Keep an open mind. Be firm in what sounds good to you AFTER listening to a few different tube set-ups.

Your ears are your guide, the only dumb question is the one NOT asked.

Welcome Again,

dodger

I got a Pair off Cornwall's ( not sure what year they have witten ont he back Type:CBR Serial:31x300).

I like a lot of the older type of music, esp Pink Floyd.

Room is about 10'by15'

Any recomadations on what to start looking for.

Then i got to find if i can even get it over here (Australia)

Thanks for the advice.

Your Cornwalls are 1982 vintage (the "x" in the serial # is the secret2.gif).

The best way to start IMO is to buy a vintage tube integrated amp like a scott 299a,b,c or d or maybe a fisher X-100 and have it rebuilt. You may be able to find one already rebuilt here on the forum. They're relatively inexpensive and will sound great. You'll also be able to figure out if you like the tube sound without breaking the bank.

I currently use a scott 299b with my 1980 cornwalls in one of my systems after 20+ years with SS. I'll never sell it or go back to SS. It just sounds TOO good.

If this sounds like something you may want to try, start a thread asking if anyone here has one for sale. Chances are you'll find something in your price range.

Matthorns,

EdwinR is also down under. It's a big country though, so you two may be many miles apart. Find his profile and send him an email or PM. Perhaps you two could hook up for a listen.

Not that I am a matchmaker ... 9.gif

Marvel

I'll second the EdwinR suggestion. He's very knowledgable and will probably know what's available in your price range "Down Under" and what may have been made in your country or shipped in during the golden era of tubed stereos. I'm sure a lot of it will be British which seems to enjoy a good reputation amongst audiophiles. Good luck and share your experiences with us.

I just have to find one with a 240v power supply.

Is it possible to convert the power supply from 110v to 240v???

----------------

I use a voltage regulator also used to fire up old tube amps slowly. I use it on my Scott 272 i am glad to have acquired from Craig (NOSVALVES.com). The poor guy's not getting enough marketing here!2.gif9.gif

I think also smaller standard ones can be used. Tim.