ALK arrived today

jwc

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, the images are high resolution and big. I didn't shrink them because I wanted some detail.

My room setup does have one major flaw in my opinion. Due to the back room door, the side door and the shelving unit, I can't upgrade to Khorns. They won't "seal" to the corners and they would obstruct my side door. I will eventually have a split scala or a split corn scala for the center. My wife objests to the size of the Khorm. She almost talked me into a pair of B&W 801's. Instead, I upgraded my crossovers....much cheaper.

jc

JC,

That is one sweet looking set up however, I noticed you don't have a La Scala center, there is a penalty for that, also you have way to much Mac stuff so to alleviate your problems, being the all around nice guy that I am, I am going to go out on a limb here and allow you to ship it to me. 2.gif

You will love the ALKs, take your time and play around with the tap settings on the autoformer in the squawker to set them up to your liking. Piano finish on the La Scalas looks beautiful. I first though you have some embedded top on them. Once again great set up.

Yes I need a scala center. I hope to have a split one some day. It would work perfect in this setup.

Yes the finish is piano black....however, don't let the top fool you. There is a piece of glass cut to the size of the scala. That is why so "shiny". I did this because this speaker just begs for someone to set their drink on it. Major party foul.

TG,

Yes the builder is a molding and baseboard nut. He is in the process of building me a white shelving unit with the same molding for my CD's and DVD-A's. It will be on one of the walls.

jc

JW, it is hard to compare A vs. B to me without putting the old crossovers back in. I seem to get used to what I am hearing at the moment. But from my 10 hours of listening It seems the slight ringing that I used to hear is gone. Highs are cleaner I also toned down the squawker 2 notches. I think the bass is the toughest call. Still debating. I wish I could have a set up like Circut City that you just push an A/B button to compare.

Now you go to all the trouble to swap out the crossoevers and you leave all that dust in the back of the Scalas? Penalty. Come on man, I know you're excited to get the ALKs in but couldn't you have grabbed a dust rag and wiped those babies down?

I'm laughing when I say that. You've got a great looking room and set up. I'm very jealous. And tell your wife that Klipschorns actually take up less usable floor space than La Scalas. It's true!

Hah,

I was waiting to hear a comment about the DUST. Hey, that dust carries several memories. It is from several past houses over 20 years. There is no dust on the "exterior" to be seen others.

I have noticed a little ringing in some of the songs. The bass to me so far isn't much diiferent. I was up all night last night at work and I didn't get to audition them again. Let me tell you,, it was killin' me. I plan to change the swauker settings soon. However, my wife keeps making these plans that keep me out of my room. I think Saturday will be me, Glenfiddich, and my ALK La Scalas.

jc1.gif

Hey Al,

I've seen you post this picture before. Now will this allow the bass to be "lower", "tighter","harder"?

How is this installed? Is this two pieces of wood cut just right to be wedged into the dawg house. If so, do you know the dimensions? Would I have to use screws or will it glue in place?

thanks, and many thanks already

jc

This mod will not make it technically go any lower, but it would "clean" it up a bit, as all horn wall vibration is a loss of acoustic energy that could otherwise be used to move air.

{edit} gluing and screwing would be the recommended approach, and that results in a cosmetic consideration, of course.

DM2.gif

Since I have been doing some more intense listening lately I have noticed the walls shake and vibrate substantially when my khorns are kicking. This has to be a bad thing. What is actually shaking is the drywall. I was able to get behind the back of the one wall to reinforced it to help cut down this down. I think sand filled false wall are in order.

Unless you couple the panels to the cabinet, it doesn't matter what you use. I would have used MDF, but I was originally going to stain the Birch. After I was done, I was almost glad I didn't use MDF. It's heavy as hell and hard to negotiate around, doesn't drill well, and doesn't hold screws well. It also doesn't look as nice after you paint it. My method netted good results, with a small, acceptable level of vibration -- substantially less than what the walls were doing.