What speaker sounds good with any type of music?

jpm

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 1/24/2005 3:47:17 PM D-MAN wrote:

If you close your eyes and the speakers and gear "goes away" and all that's left is the music, then you got it.

For me, that means horns. Big horns.

DM
----------------

I don't even have to close my eyes!2.gif

Tom

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 1/22/2005 11:25:28 PM analogman wrote:

pay no attention to that BS behind the curtain.

Analogman

----------------

excuse me?

Cornwalls get my vote. They are a jack-of-all-trades that do everything well. They have a big, robust well balanced sound that gives a very high rate of long term owner satisfaction.

I used to always be looking for a new set of speakers having tired of my old ones - until I bought my Cornwalls over ten years ago. I now have no desire to "upgrade" and they still make me smile EVERY time I listen to them.

When I buy a new CD - the Cornwalls just smile back at me and say "You ready?". They never disappoint.

Andy

----------------

On 1/24/2005 5:06:14 PM Gramas701 wrote:

----------------

On 1/22/2005 11:25:28 PM analogman wrote:

pay no attention to that BS behind the curtain.

Analogman

----------------

excuse me?

----------------

Wasn't speaking to you.

Analogman

----------------

On 1/24/2005 4:33:04 PM Guy Landau wrote:

----------------

On 1/21/2005 7:57:50 PM jpm wrote:

Klipsch or otherwise. Is there one speaker out there that can do it all with style?
----------------

It all depends on the equipment before the speakers and the quality of the recordings.

----------------

What most people don't realize is that regardless of the quality (or lack thereof) of the speakers, associated equipment, and recordings, what they are mostly hearing is, the effect, of the room, on the speakers and to some extent, everything that precedes them.

I agree that room interactions play a huge part in the ability of your loudspeakers to accurately reproduce a recording. When I first got my Klipschorns, I literally hauled them through my home, trying sevceral rooms before I found a room where they sounded okay. I have since 'tuned' my room within my limited understanding of room acoustics. The sound is even better now. But I still have this slight bass emphasis seems to be around 50 to 60 hz. It's annoying so those recordings that are eq'd for AM airplay, just don't find their way on my turntable.

In my view, most music pieces share the same instruments to some extent. The human voice is certainly common to all.

A lot of rock has intense bass and so does some classical.

Examples are deep synth in rock and organ in classical.

Pop-rock has high percussion such as the string of small chimes seen on The Dance by Fleetwood Mac. I don't know what it is called. Classical uses little triangles from time to time.

These all make the same demands on the speaker and indeed the entire string of electrical mechanisms in the recording, storage-transmission, and reproduction chain.

There is something to be said about types of music which do not challenge the power handling and frequency response of the speakers, or anything else.

One good person hear pointed out how "the little girl with a guitar" can sound okay on marginal systems. The same might be said of elevator music. I've quipped that The Beatles put down tracks when people listened on three transistor AM radios with weak Ray-0-Vac batteries. Catchy tunes came through. Paul's bass did not.

This, though, is more to say that a marginal systems are "good" for some types of music. You read, "good for jazz." The truth is that systems with poor performance are not challenged by some recordings. Or the listeners don't know any better.

Gil

How about that BIG *** $20,000 thunder buster that Max. showed us a picture of. But, I liked the Bose WaveRadio suggestion provided by Dylanl the best.

But in all honesty, any and every type of music known to man would sound the best in a Ferrari Enzo, or Porche GT, even if the speakers are the crappy AC Delco's Dean suggested.

----------------

On 1/25/2005 9:27:56 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

This, though, is more to say that a marginal systems are "good" for some types of music. You read, "good for jazz." The truth is that systems with poor performance are not challenged by some recordings. Or the listeners don't know any better.

Gil
----------------

All I know is that when I change out my Cornwalls for the Tannoy Golds Rock, Blues and even symphonic music sounds much, MUCH better. I'm guessing that the Cornwalls are the weak link? But when I play an old Blue Note, the Cornwalls kick *** over the Tannoys.

Is my system "marginal?' If so, why do two equally "fine" speakers offer such dramtically different results?

----------------

On 1/25/2005 10:03:19 PM Allan Songer wrote:

Is my system "marginal?' If so, why do two equally "fine" speakers offer such dramtically different results?

----------------

because your room is not acousticly treated. Treat your room and your neighbor's Bose will sound like your CW's in there....

----------------

All I know is that when I change out my Cornwalls for the Tannoy Golds Rock, Blues and even symphonic music sounds much, MUCH better. I'm guessing that the Cornwalls are the weak link? But when I play an old Blue Note, the Cornwalls kick *** over the Tannoys.

----------------

T'aint that simple. In the case you cited - that Rock, blues etc. improve - I would expect the culprit to be something to do with the amp/speaker/room interaction rather than to any one item.

A lot of this comes down to how you choose and audition your components. I do all my auditioning with classical music and choose on the basis of how that is effected by the changes made. This seemingly can have adverse affects on how Rock is played. Case in point: My amp takes various tubes. With EL34's I currently run classical is to die for - but Rock is poor. Switch to 6550's and classical suffers while Rock improves dramatically.

Cant say it is the tubes at fault - or at the route cause here - I know of others running the exact same tube on the exact same amp with Rock that ...well....rocks. It is the interaction, or synergy, of the system that IMHO is the key to everything.

That synergy covers SOURCE > SUPPORTING ELECTRONICS AND CONNECTIONS > SPEAKERS > ROOM.

That simple guys!

----------------

On 1/25/2005 9:27:56 PM William F. Gil McDermott wrote:

Gil

----------------

Ain't that the truth! 1.gif

----------------

----------------

Obviously subjectivity plays a big part in this, Alan. What aspect of the Tannoys sound is 'better' than the Cornwalls? Are we talking bass response here? If so, perhaps the Tannoys are a little lean in the bass, allowing the rock, blues and symphonic music (which may be bass rich) to sound flatter. Playing the same music on the Cornwalls may result in such recordings sounding slow and ponderous. I have this 'problem' with my Klipschorns. An old Blue Note recording may in fact be virtually direct to disc with little or no engineering trickery - in this case the Cornwalls are actually the more accurate transducer.

----------------

----------------

Last time I heared Tannoy DCs (Churchill cabs) they were very, very, very nice -- but I'll tip the hat at the horn-midranged K's for having crisper, more detailed sounds.

Perhaps the K's are exposing a weakness somewhere else? Something the Tannoys could be glossing over? I'll give my own rig as an example.

TT: Thorens 145 and AT 440ML

CDP: Some cheap sony thing.

Preamp: ARC SP6A

Speaks: Forte I.

Previous speakers:

a. Infinity SM-110 coners. Sounded AWESOME with the amps listed below! I was in hawg heaven!

b. Klipsch SF2 (now retired to my HT). Sounded... craptacular with the SAE, much better with the Stereo 70, but still silly harsh.

c. Now the Fortes. Much fatter sound than SF2, still hints of that harshness.

Previous amp: SAE Two (yeah, laugh ahead, it blew chunks so badly it's indescribable. Like running a file through your ears.)

Later amp: Dynaco Stereo 70, re-built, mildly hot-rodded psu. Open, dynamic, punchy, transparent, but..dirty.

Result: I always had harshies. Upper midrange and HF hash. Symphonic was tough to play, most rock was tough to play, Beatles in particular, and Phase-4 Londons were utter torture.

I blamed the poor turntable. It's cheap, therefore it must sucketh.

I switched cables.

I blamed the poor CDP. It's cheap, black and plastic, therefore it must sucketh.

I even blamed the SF2!

It got so bad I ripped out every Solen MKP in my preamp and replaced 'em all with Auricap (that DID sound much nicer ;o).. but still... that fuzzy harsh garbage in tutti passages, that *crrrkle* on the tympani.. gah.

Then I dropped a truly clean amp in the rig, and.. well.. it's over. Very very over.

I've shelved my plans for a better TT (may still get a 125, just cause I'm smitten with old Thorens! ;o). I've shelved the idea that I need a 5,000 dollar cdp. I've given up on building my own amp.

I've given up the speaker quest, too. I'll get more of these to make a killer HT once I get a house.. apt dwelling and large Heritage installations don't mix ;o)

This wasn't meant to slam your rig, Allen, I don't even know what it is -- just giving my trials and tribulations, and the ultimate solution to them.

It wasn't the speakers, nor the preamp, nor the caps in the preamp, nor the sources. Forget the cables, the differences are minor (I'll grant AQ Sidewinders are a smidge more transparent and yes, dynamic and clear than Monster and RatShack wire, but I digress.)

In my case, in my system, my Achilles Heel was always the amp.

I'm starting to hold William Z Johnson in the same regard I hold Paul W Klipsch. 12.gif

I run a pair of McIntsoh MC-30s and a C22 preamp with a Thorens TD-124/SME 3012/Ortofon SPU table. The problem is in the bottom end--the Cornwalls just fall apart when compared with the Tannoys when playing loud rock or symphonic music. There is never any upper or mid-range harshness with either speaker.