MInk Oil on cone surrounds, says Sunfire

mustang1

I have a Sunfire sub, the manual says one should treat the large rubber surrounds with MINK OIL to keep them soft and supple for 20 years or more. Do this once a year, if you live in dry conditions, more frequently. Does this make sense and should/could this be done on the Klipsch surrounds??? Sounds ridiculous.

It seems odd to me that rubber surrounds need any treatment. I'd think that the so called mink oil which is used to waterproof boots does anything for synthetic rubber.

Can this possibly be derived from minks? I doubt it. But come to think of it, what does happen to the rest of the mink after the, umm, coat process? One use could cause mad mink disease.

Also, you can only get to one side of the rubber surround.

In any case, the surrounds on many Klipsch bass units are pleated paper. I've never heard of any treatment for them.

Gil

"MINK OIL

Mink have a thick fatty layer just below the skin. This fatty layer is recovered after the pelt is removed from the carcass and is then rendered down to make mink oil.

It is the closest known oil to human skin oil. In highly refined, purified form, it is used by many people for the treatment of skin problems such as psoriasis, eczema and acne. It penetrates quickly to the epidermis layer of the skin to help prevent fine lines and wrinkles, and also works as a natural sun screen.

Mink oil is also used to protect leather products"

Source:http://www.furcommission.com/Biology/oil.html

It's from mink allright. I thought otherwise too Gil. Live and learn!1.gif

Rick

"Modern" surrounds will last 20 years or more if you don't do anything. Most products sold over the counter as "mink" oil contain silicone and a lot of other crap. Once you start these types of "treatments" it is often the case that you then can't stop.

Analogman

Dudes, natural rubber out-gasses until it is a dry husk, becomes brittle and finally crumbles into dust (more or less). Essentially, the oils evaporate.

Especially foam-types which actually are air-blown "honeycombs" which are very thin walled air cells stuck or pressed together.

The non-rubber petroleum "rubber-like" products even out-gas until they become brittle and inflexible.

It certainly depends on the material, but if it flexes, it is dependent on a certain amount of oil (fluid) content.

DM2.gif

Yes Sunfire recommends Mink Oil. There surrounds and center are

a very thick and hark rubber material. A lot different the material

Klipsch uses. If Sunfire recommends this proceedure I would hesitate

to do it. ( Oh by the way I have had my Sunfire for two years and

have not treated it 6.gif ) On second thought..I take it all back.10.gif

This was so wacky that I checked the website and found the manual which does indeed suggest mink oil. What!!!?

My guess it that it is bogus whatever the personal beliefs of the author. It probaby a mindless tweek.

I have not seen this sort of suggestion for any natural (latex) or synthetic rubber in any application. The mink oil from Kiwi can't have much mink in any case.

Grrr. Just nonesense in my view.

Gil

I've been a fan of Bob Carver's for a few years, he's always been a renagade...I've had quite a few pieces of his stuff including some Phase Linear too. I still think his C4000 pre amp with two twenty watt amps built into it for background delay speakers is a very good sounding pre amp and a lot of fun to play with as well.

That being said, Bob Carver is a very weird individual...9.gif

Bill Woodward

• 4 months later...

Pure MINK Oil is the best thing you can get to treat any ind of leather, but most of the stuffs the claim to be mink oil are not pure. They contain a few other oils and some chemicals like silicone,... I have tried Pure Mink oil on my sunfire sigs and it made the surrounds a lot softer than when i bought the sub. I don't know if it's a good thing, i supposed it should help the rubber last longer, since that's what the manual says. Just in regards, i noticed that all my leather garments looks and feel better after treating them with any mink oil. I tested a few old shoes, that i was not using for a long time, that went all hard and crunchy, i can honestly say that applying the oil it just absorbed so much of it and was like alive again and look like new. I tried other leather treatment and conditioners but none works as good as the mink. I say just try and learn for yourself, it;s that simple.

----------------

On 1/25/2005 12:09:23 AM analogman wrote:

"Modern" surrounds will last 20 years or more if you don't do anything. Most products sold over the counter as "mink" oil contain silicone and a lot of other crap. Once you start these types of "treatments" it is often the case that you then can't stop.

Analogman

----------------

Concur. Last year, similar threads mentioned the Sunfire suggestions. Klipsch support, however, told me nope - not suggested. Unless you leave your drivers directly exposed to sunlight alot (for many years) - anyone should be fine.

Carl.