Preparing for Jubilee build

bigdnfay

The main benefit of a 2-way over a 3-way is that there is one less crossover "notch" and therefore less corresponding electronic components in the signal path. Also there is one less sonic path to be considered, which could help "imaging". Essentially the less diaphrams involved, the better.

This is reputed to sound better. The drawback is that it is expensive to get a upper-range horn capable of the smooth and wide-enough frequency response along with the sensitivity required, especially with a bass horn which is limited by its nature in the higher end.

DM2.gif

Hi All,

Finished up the template today. No extreme angles or surprises. Now it's time to gather up the LF and HF drivers. Networks are still a big question. Hopefully Al's ES700 will fit the bill.

Does anyone know of a good source for LF drivers? The closest thing I can find with the right T/S is a Pioneer in the Parts Express catalog. I'm not real crazy about using a woofer with foam surrounds. I've looked at several companies but no luck. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Big D

post-7478-13819261381624_thumb.jpg

DJK posted this back in november of 2003:

"The October 2000 JAES article by PWK has enough data to build the Jubilee from.

The folds are all in one plane so the build complexity is more like the LaScala than the old Klipschorn.

The throat area is given. The area expansion is analyzed at three points along the horn expansion (each bend and the mouth).

The woofer back volume is specified.

The dimensions for overall height and width are given, as is the exit angle of the final horn expansion.

The T/S parameters of the drivers are given.

The Pioneer AG30GU40-51D available from Parts Express or MCM has the correct T/S parameters."

Hope this helps for the driver selection.

I would go with the commercial version from Klipsch, $125 each ain't bad.

I also agree that an ES network from Al K. would be in order. He can make them for any crossover point you want.

If I remember correctly, the Jubilee crossed over at 850?

Higher would be even better, as the drivers get less expensive.

DM2.gif

Trey mentioned that the drivers in the professional version use a much bigger diameter voice coil, this will allow much more power handling. I have forgotten if he said it was a 3" or 4" vc. If memory serves, I believe it was 4".

The high frequency driver is either a b&c de-85 or a b&c de-82, same diaphragm/magnet assembly with a different front cover with different throat sizes.

I've been looking at the B&C-82 HF driver. I also want to use the 511b's I already have. The driver has a 1.4 in. throat and the horn has a 1 in. opening. Question...Can the opening on the horn be opened up by 1/8 in. without causing any problems to recieve a 1.4 in. driver.

Big D

Hello,

I would be glad to offer my services to engineer design a fully scaled set of drawings on AutoCad for the Jubilee. I have built many a speaker and I engineer design on AutoCad each and every day for a living. My limitation here is that I have never seen (much less touched or heard) the Jubilee so I would be totally dependant on forum members to feed me measurements and details. We could develope a full set of plans as per the Belle set recently developed on this forum.

Once the design is finished, I could post the finals in .pdf, .dwg, .dxf and several other formats so any and all could refer to them. Let me know if you folks would want to go to the effort to "engineer" a build set. I personally am intersted in building a set if we could determine what will be the cabinet design and if we could generate a parts list for the speakers and crossover.

Bert

• 1 year later...

Did anyone ever come up with "final" version of the plans for the DIY jubilee? Any thoughts on the sound over time and if anything need to be tweaked? any thoughts on crossing at 800hz versus 1000hz? I finally found someone who has the tools to make one and I am ready to go!!!! tony

Did anyone ever come up with "final" version of the plans for the DIY jubilee? Any thoughts on the sound over time and if anything need to be tweaked? any thoughts on crossing at 800hz versus 1000hz? I finally found someone who has the tools to make one and I am ready to go!!!! tony

Tony,

This is an intriguing idea.

Is your plan to build a Jubilee bass bin and purchase the commercial mid horn (KPT 402 or K510 ...) from Klipsch. Or are you going to tackle a mid horn also (e.g., the Valerie that was pictured). Or is there some other substitution planned?

In either case, good luck and keep us posted,

-Tom

Did anyone ever come up with "final" version of the plans for the DIY jubilee?  Any thoughts on the sound over time and if anything need to be tweaked?  any thoughts on crossing at 800hz versus 1000hz? I finally found someone who has the tools to make one and I am ready to go!!!!  tony

there are 10 or 20 versions on this forum. hard to tell which is final. I down loaded them all and am trying to go thru them. the forum even has a one driver version of the drawing.

search for jubilee, jubilee cad drawing, jubilee DIY, etc and you will find them.

some nice pictures on this forum as well.

Hey guys - please let me add to the SUPER BUMP.....

One guy has offered CAD services - excellent; several have added their expertise in other ways - great - now, let me offer the CNC services. I have access to a CNC machine, in fact I built Bob's (BEC) CORNSCALA II cabinets (the second pair he picked up at the Pilgimage). I would be happy to help those in need; I WOULD however need adequate CAD drawings to proceed with connversion to CNC programming. I just was made aware of this thread (THANKS for the BUMP), having heard the Jubilee at the pilgrimage I am absolutely intrigued by them, and would LOVE to be involved in building a set/several sets as befits the need. If anyone here can point me to or assist with CAD, or is interested in getting these CNC cut (even as a kit) - let me know.

Let's ROLL this out.....

Chris

Dallas, TX