OT US Sub hits underwater mountain (picture)

Bruinsrme

Having spent 10 years on subs one of the biggest fears was always hitting something while submerged. Rumor has it that the sub was travelling in excess of 20 knots and the 9000 tons vessel came to a complete stop almost immediately. One sailor from Ohio lost his life and dozens seriously hurt. Despite the severity of the damage the sub was able to return to port under its own power.

post-10281-13819261405504_thumb.jpg

Wow! Looks like they are hiding something under the blue tarp. 11.gif

Still, going something like 20-knots and then hitting something. That is around 25 mph in "regular' miles. Imagine hitting a wall in your car going 25 mph! Now imagine while walking around on a bus and it hits a wall going 25 mph! I can see how the sailor got killed with others geting injured. Of course, you probably already know this, having been a submariner yourself. That is for the benefit of other readers.

Two things impress me. That sub is WAY bigger than the ones at Disneyland, and there is a lot of stuff in the bow! My Dad was a mechanic on a sub in WW II, and told us a few terrifying stories involving depth charges.

I saw reports that the San Francisco was cruising at 30+ knots at a depth of 600' at impact.6.gif

The uncharted undersea mount the San Francisco struck rises to 350'

It is a great testimony for the Captain and crew of the San Francisco that there wasn't a greater loss of life and their heroic effort to save the boat and crew.

Bravo gentlemen!!

Rick

I saw the article on it too. It went on to say that the tarp is covering the radar stuff (classified) and that evidently, the whole front section of the sub is filled with water as a matter of design. They thought that since the front was filled with water it helped cushion the blow as the water was squished out (my words) during the impact. Sort of like those water barriers you see on the highway next to bridges. The water helps dissapate the energy from impact.

What I was wondering is how did they not know where a mountain was? (presuming that's the full/accurate story)

My hat's off to any/all service men. My grandfather was old/young enough that he missed WWI and WWII. My father was too young for WWII and did some service in the Coast Guard after college. I was too young for Nam so the upshot is, no one in my family has really been exposed to the realities/savages of war from a first hand experience, nor been in the military. As such, I've always felt an extra bit of gratitude for those that have done the duty.

The front of the subs and the back of the subs house the main balast tanks. Inside those tanks are air banks housing 4500psi air to displace tthe water from tanks causing the boat to rise. That air is used during an emergency blow or a timed blow after surfacing

the tarp is covering up the sonar array which is a pretty unique looking device simply made up of a series of transducers (microphones) to listen. At 20+ knots the sub is basically deaf due to the rate at which the water is rushing over the sonar dome, the fiberglass nose of the sub.. Also, the torpedo tubes are located in the lower part of the hull.

The original condition of the sub was said to be that the metal that was peeled back due to the impact had to be cut away by divers. The high yield metal they use is not the easiest metal to cut let alone trying to cut it at sea.

Now if this was a VLS (vertical launch system) platform, which launch tomahacks, I do not think this boat would have survived.

edit of my previous angry post.

Having read the facts surrounding the incident, it was indeed a freak accident and the sailors acted properly and heroically to save the vessel and bring her home. Tragedy narrowly averted. Surprised that there could be unfound objects in the ocean of this mass, but now knowing that they do not operate with active sonar full-time for security reasons, accidents like this can sadly occur. Hats off to all military personal all over the world. Sleep safely tonight.

Michael

I truly hope you are kidding. Do a little research on the incident.

USS San Francisco SSN-711....Once you read what really happended and you should be amazed that after hitting an unchartered mountain going from roughly 35 knots to 4 knots in 1 second, with a calculated transfer of energy of 980 megajoules, the crew and sub not only survived (exception of one sailor) but was able to bring the sub back to port.

The ocean is too vst to plot every square in.

Theday.com has a very well written article about the entire even. I will be more than happy to share the "cover up" with you. Send me a PM with an email address and I will send it to you.

This is not the first US Navy SSN to hit an obstacle at flank speed and survive. I know a fellow that survived such a crash in Soviet territorial waters. His fast attack sub made it back to Faslane Scotland.

He was a reactor operator. At the end of that tour, he did not re-enlist. He later went into civilian nuclear power.

After the USS Thresher incident, US submarines are being built to very high standards. Post Thresher, the commissioning crew watches the construction with great care. They get to ride the boat throughout the commissioning trials. If the boat goes down, they want it to be able to come back up. No exceptions allowed.

Bill