records versus CD

yaffstone

Hmmm, I liked the article. She's taken the analytical approach and there's no arguing facts when facts are correct. I have no emotional ties either way. My wish is for better sounding Seedies due to easier handling. But in the case where the LP sounds better, I will hassle with the handling of the LP when doing more serious listening. Thanks for the info A-Man.

----------------

On 1/30/2005 9:27:17 PM garymd wrote:

Certain CDs/SACDs (newer ones in particular) are just better recordings then the original LPs. The Who's "Who's Next" for example is horrible on lp but the new "best of" Who CD is a very good recording and has many of those songs on it. Same with the new Elton John SACDs. They're just better then the old vinyl, even on a great TT.

It's nice to be able to enjoy both but if I had to pick one, it would be no contest. Vinyl, hands down. Luckily I don't have to pick.

----------------

Actually Gary, at the horn meeting yesterday someone brounght in a new 200 gram pressing of Who's Next and it sounded very nice to my ears...

----------------

On 1/30/2005 9:21:59 PM yaffstone wrote:

I may act as an alien at times but I won't alienate!

I was really surprised that the old records sound so good. I will continue to listen to CDs too even though they jitter at times just as records can pop. There does seem to be a smoothness to the vinyl though.

If it's music, it's fun. Listen on...

----------------

Thank You for your sense of HUMOUR! It is like a breath of FRESH AIR!

Enjoy the Music!

Analogman

I've given this example before, but it also illustrates the importance of the quality or lack of it in mastering. I have thought for years that my Yes LP Fragile was a bad pressing. It just plain distorted! I was dumbfounded when I bought the CD version to hear the same distortion! It was in the mix! Now that the DVDa version came out in a REMIXED version, it is phenominal! All of what I perceived to be mistracking is gone! And the LF content on Wakeman's keyboards is great! I am to this day surprized at how the original recording ever made it to press!

BTW, I don't have a DVDa player, so I must be listening to a stereo mix layer, so it's really the remixing that improved it.

Andy,

I bought the remix of Fragile and it's fantastic. I never understood how the original LP was ever released like that either! Same with Who's Next and Van Morrison's, Moondance. All great albums but sounded lousy.

I'll have to look out for that 200 gram reissue of Who's Next. Now I'm curious.

----------------

On 1/30/2005 10:13:59 PM garymd wrote:

Andy,

I bought the redbook remix of Frigile and it's fantastic too. I never understood how the original LP was ever released like that either! Same with Who's Next and Van Morrison's, Moondance. All great albums, lousy original recordings.

You can not "mix" or "remix" a lousy RECORDING and make it "GOOD".

That's not how the chain of ELECTROMECHANICAL events works.

An "over the counter" LP or a CeeDee or WHATEVER is not a RECORDING they are a REPRESENTATION of a RECORDING.

As always,

Analogman

The occasional pop or tick solution. Make a fire - play the LP and you won't have a clue where the pop or tick is coming from. Warm and cozy X two.

Do some people post just to jack up their post count? You guys all know that I never mind a little controversy but some of this posting is worth zero. No information, no humor, no debate, no nothing.

----------------

On 1/30/2005 9:49:45 PM AndyKubicki wrote:

I've given this example before, but it also illustrates the importance of the quality or lack of it in mastering. I have thought for years that my Yes LP Fragile was a bad pressing. It just plain distorted! I was dumbfounded when I bought the CD version to hear the same distortion! It was in the mix! Now that the DVDa version came out in a REMIXED version, it is phenominal! All of what I perceived to be mistracking is gone! And the LF content on Wakeman's keyboards is great! I am to this day surprized at how the original recording ever made it to press!

BTW, I don't have a DVDa player, so I must be listening to a stereo mix layer, so it's really the remixing that improved it.

----------------

THANK GOD FOR YOU, ANDY!!! You are a blessing. YOU seem to know how "records" are made!

Analogman

----------------

On 1/30/2005 10:43:26 PM analogman wrote:

----------------

On 1/30/2005 9:49:45 PM AndyKubicki wrote:

----------------

THANK GOD FOR YOU, ANDY!!! You are a blessing. YOU seem to know how "records" are made!

Analogman

----------------

yes...andy's post just illustrates that LP's can sound like crap just as easy as it is for CD's to sound like crap.....

the media is not the culprit - it is the recording engineer behind the console that is mainly responsible for the sound that we hear in our rooms...... NOT the CD or the LP or the SACD...

people that continually put down one format are ignoring that simple fact

Actually, it's probably a lot easier for an LP to sound like crap.

I had always heard a certain something that got me (or that I got) when listening to LPs, but really was operating on a certain amount of faith until recently investing in a quality system that can do vinyl justice.

Was there ever a more emotional player than Art Pepper? I think his "Patricia" from the "Today" LP on Galaxy from about 1979-80 ranks as one of the most tortured ballads ever. Gut wrenching stuff.

Scott--you really need to see "Notes from a Jazz Survivor," a small documentary made in the months before Pepper's death. I heard him live dozens of times in this late period and I think he was the greatest jazz musician I ever heard perform live. And I've heard many.

Patricia makes one relive what most of us have been through at one time or another. Yea, it's one of the best. Now that the kiddies are back in school, I'll have time to start reading Pepper's bio. I've been lookin' forward to it for some time. I paid too much for that "Playboys" LP but then I really wanted a nice cover. I have the CD and it will be interesting to compare the two.

I just love music. Whether it's recorded on CD, vinyl, or other. I must admit, however, there is a thrill that CD doesn't impart when slipping a favourite vinyl album out of it's sleeve, placing the album on the platter, and finally lowering of the pickup arm on to the record. This completes a ritual that I have enjoyed for many years. More wonderous than the ritual, though, is the sound. 3.gif