RF7s are too bright too often.

jpm

----------------

On 2/11/2005 5:07:11 PM jpm wrote:

Problem Solved!

I returned the Cambridge Audio Azur 640CDP, upgraded to Rega's Planet CDP (there went another few hundred bucks... sheesh) and now all's well. The sound smoothed right out. Thanks all for the advice. I really do appreciate everyone's input.

----------------

[/blockquote

Thats good news,glad to hear things are soundin' better.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's new, well actually was a store demo, but not very old (It's black with no fins - The amp and pre-amp have fins). When I tire of this stage I'll keep the 7's and upgrade to Naim Audio amp, pre, and cdp. But that's about 6 grand away. God, everything sounds wonderful now. Still has the signature Klipsch horn sound but without the piercing, fatiguing highs.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

A couple of other rcommendations.

1. Clean up your AC power to reduce CD jitter.

2. If you can budget $ 6,000; spend less than $ 1000 and try a Fisher or Scott tube integrated. Nice power plus very nice phono capability.

I see you have apparently hit your personal audio nirvana here but I'll drop my suggestion anyway....Acoustically treat your room if you have not already done so.

Oh and Don thanks I realy needed that image in my head. Perhaps you could model a thong next time!9.gif

My room is treated. Soft cedar walls and ceiling, 40' of cloth curtains lots of leather sofas and large wool oriental rugs on the hardwood floors. It sounds neutral to me. Absolutely no echoes, and where the horn flares out to hit the walls, it's hitting thick curtains. It sounds about 500 times better than most Hi Fi store listening rooms I've been in. In summary, it's not Arto's place, but it sounds pretty damn good. That's my story and I'm sticking with it. 3.gif

I'm afraid to lose any bass if I go tubes. Actually, the sound I have now is awesome. I kid you not. I'm really liking this British Rega gear.

+++++++++++++++++++

Maybe there is a misconception about tubes that just goes on and on.

Most people first heard tubes as part of some "console" back sometime.

Drivers slammed into a cabinet face with no back.

Bass was always lame. My parents had one of the finest Motorola made for home HIFI from 1959; 3 way stereo above 300 hz and mono into a 15 inch center.

Still lame to a certain degree; but great when you are 13 with "We Sold Our Soul for Rock and Roll" jammin'.

With the right iron, right output tube and assocaiated wattage you will never misss any bass!

16.gif16.gif16.gif

JPM;

You are strugling a bit now but thinking your frustration through very well!

It will get better.

I could make some music in my Chorus II that would have you think these beasts are a waste of MDF. Done so myself and was shakin' my head why I bought them over my RB-5s.

I am very sure the Chorus II as well as the RF-7 are a far superior to the RB-5. It took a serious amount of "man hours" to get there for me in getting the source hardware and amplification right.

If you ever get trapped into visiting the Motor City;

2.gif

A very rump kickin' demo can be arranged.

AF

----------------

On 2/10/2005 11:37:53 PM cjgeraci wrote:

... Maybe all silver or part silver may help. I liked a pair of part silver I acquired (BetterCables)...

----------------

Greetings,

I second the though about cables. High-end cables such as Van den Hul can take away some harsh top-end; so can cheap ones from Radio Shack. 2.gif Maybe a pair of "rat-shack" cables for a few bucks might be a worthy experiment. I've always found that interconnects and speaker cables played a huge role in the overall "sound" of the sound-system.

Just a though ... and I hope it helps.

Take care,

Scott

I'm running two pairs of RF-7's with Rotel RB-1090 380wpc, Rotel RC-1090 pre-amp,

and Rotel RCD-1072 cd player and the sound is absolutely stunning. I don't get

bright or harsh sound at all. Yes, it does sound like live BIG wonderful sound.

I've listen to speakers that sound like someone put a blanket over them, too

recessed! If someone likes speakers like that, then they probably won't like

the Klipsch horns, being that they are more forward, but that's what's so great

about them. At low volumes, the RF-7 still does not sound thin or bright for me.

I'm still very amazed with the sound quality that the Klipsch and Rotel combo

makes. Denon doesn't work with Klipsch, too bright from the Denon. I don't even

bother with Denon for this reason when teamed up with Klipsch. I've read that

Denon is no longer as good as they used to be too? Alot has to do with

what you pick with Klispch. Give it what it wants from quality components, and you

will be stunned like no other speaker can do but Klipsch! Stunninng and incredible

sound that sounds so live and real is the only way I can think of to describe it.

I bought the RF-7's first, and then I asked alot of advice on the Klipsch forum

what to run them with and that's how I ended up with Rotel from so many recommending

it to me here with the great sound. I'm 100% happy with this combo. Works so well,

with out going to tubes!!! I'm not one for trying mods on the RF-7's, Klipsch

worked very hard to get them great already, if you give them the right equipment

you shouldn't need to modify Klipsch great hard work already in the product from

it's original.

True, that the RF-7's should be spread out and toed-in to get that sweet spot but

even Klipsch suggest this in the manual.

Glad you got the problem solved jpm and enjoying the awesome sound of the RF-7's!!!

2.gif

You need tone controlls. A B&K AMP and PREAMP with it's remote tone controls works very nicely at adjusting a speakers sound. Most all speakers and recordings need some type of tone adjustment.

Before reading this forum I was having fun listening to music. Now I am slowly moving away from that critical listening bull**** and having fun again.

B&K + Forte 2 = FUN!!!!!!1.gif