Guess what arrived last night (pics)

maxg

And finally after a bunch of delays the Clearaudio arived and was setup:

installation%20in%20progress.jpg?dc=4675

Setup was much easier than we had expected - primarily due to the fact that the TQ-1 arm has changed almost eyond recognition.

Nice to see on the arm box that it was actually built on the 2nd of February - 12 days ago!! Happy valentines day to me.

Start to finish the whole setup took 2 hours and I was going to post these last night - but I didnt finish listening till 5!!

About to head off to work - to a very full day:

playing%20first%20record.jpg?dc=46755100

That is playing the very first record. First impressions are - I am impressed - it seems to do just about everything I was waiting for it to do and the arm isnt nearly as difficult to live with as I thought. At least, that is, in terms of getting it out of the way to change a record - long term exposure obviously I still do not know - more later when I get time.

Great birthday present!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow - replies already - thanks guys. I got about 5 mins before the first appointment.

No idea what the belt is made from - some kind of rubber I think. The packaging of this thing has to be seen to be beleived - with lots of goodies included (white gloves, test record, spirit level, all sorts of measuring and alignment tools - the full bit).

Can an arm run-in? I think it was doing last night - seems to be happier sitting in the groove with each record that played. Probably me - who knows?

Well thanks again guys - I have about 20 minutes till the next interview so I thought I would squeeze this post in:

First off - how does it sound?

Well - hmmm - how to put this - you know those pompous, arrogant, self opinionated, been there, done that, seen the movie types, who have spent big money on something and then go out of their way to tell you how totally superior their whateveritis is than anything normal? Well I just joined their ranks!

It sounds like God singing - if only when he or she is in the shower.

Seriously it is smooth, silky, effortless, voluminous, bold, bassy, detailed, clean, grainless, expansive and altogether majestic. I have certainly never owned anything in this league before.

In a strange way I appreciate what the Project did more and more - it is totally outclassed in every way by this unit, but, each difference is subtle. The project did everything well enough - it is just outclassed by this is each area of music reproduction. I didnt dare hope the difference would be as defined as this. If you never heard the Clearaudio then you wouldnt know what was missing from the Project - but once you hear it (in your environment) you realize the difference a dozen or so German scientists and engineers can make.

How much is down to the table and how much the arm is anyone's guess. The arm is certainly "magic" with all those audiophile conotations that brings.

Tony,

If you are not in a hurry to pick up the arm - dont. Give me some time here. I have the feeling it is a rock - it gives that impression, and that is wont change in millenia and therefore need no tweeking whatsoever - but I might be oh so horribly wrong.

The reputation of this arm is that it is a pig. That, however, is based on its predecessor. There are so many changes between this version and the old one (obvious because the instruction manual that came with the thing was for the previous version) that I think the reviews, limited as they are, will need a complete re-write.

For impact and style I would love to write that from the second it hit the groove it was wonderous. It wasnt - due to a minor setup hitch and, I feel, due to a run-in that seemed to be truely dramatic over the period of 3 hours or so that I listened to it. That is was physically stiff to start with and started to loosen up to the feel makes me think that run-in in this case is not totally in my imagination.

As I said - give me some time. Right now I am deliriously happy - hopefully that newly wed bloom will not wear off too soon.

Max,

I had a very similiar experience with my Basis although the differences compared to my VPI may have been a bit more significant.

You still have a lot of LPs to play before you really know what it can do. Enjoy the ride! The first few weeks are really great.

BTW - Don't forget to sleep.5.gif2.gif

Gary,

Can you still not see the pics? Odd - others seem to be able to.

I will attach a pic to this post as well - just to help:

I dont think I can attach more than one to a single post. I will post a second message immediately after this one.

post-6383-13819261809454_thumb.jpg