Guess what arrived last night (pics)

maxg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Back home now - here is another shot I took last night that I didnt get time to upload:

in%20action.jpg?dc=4675510109414572201

I wont post any more - I have them throughout the setup of the table - but I guess that would need my own site to put together. Fun romp through the process though.

----------------

On 2/14/2005 1:23:05 PM garymd wrote:

Am I the only one who can't see these pictures? The only ones I can see are the links.

----------------

Sorry Gary - totally forgot you cant see them - you need to get that sorted - is it just photo's from me you cant see?

Anyway - attached!

post-6383-13819261810904_thumb.jpg

I WILL wait to hear what you have to say about the arm Max before considering a purchase. I was not really thinking about buying right now but I have always had in the back of my mind the purchase of a linear tracking TT. so...keep us informed, warm regards, tony

I just looked at the photo again, and saw an ad for this turntable while waiting for our dear Amy at Klipsch headquarters, Indianapolis, IN.

MAX, that is absolutely a piece of art, should be in the Museum of Modern Art, NYC, or the Smithsonian, or the Louvre, or whatever cool museum you have in Greece.

Absolutely splendid machining and an example of form blending superbly with function. I think you're right about the German Scientist thing.

Like my Hassleblad cameras, this is a thing of great beauty.

I loved your descriptions of the heavenly sounds. You're obviously well-read from your ability to give us a glimpse into the music you must be hearing.

Michael

A resounding CONGRATULATIONS Max! After all your months of research and internal conflict, you've finally settled on what I think may arguably be one of the best TT's anyone on this board owns! Enjoy it! And hopefully, over time, as the gear (or your ears) break-in, it'll bring an even bigger smile to your face!

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=35232&

In the picture the arm has been raised up off the vinyl - this is how you get to change disks and is a simple lifting job.

As can be seen the actual arm is quartz rod that is suspended below the body of the arm and attached at about the mid point (only) to the structure you see.

The function of the structure is merely to provide a stable pathway to follow the lnear track across the record. Obviously that is actually a lot simpler to type than to make. It has a multiplicity of adjustments to ensure you follow exactly the right path.

The red arrow indicates the direction the quartz arm follows when reading the record. On the flipside of that metal strip the arrow lies on is a small truck which moves virtually without friction in the horizontal plane (when the arm is down).

The most peculiar part of the setup is caused by the fact that the quartz arm is circular and therefore you rotate it witin the small housing that attaches it to ensure the cartrdge is totally virtical to the record surface in play. This was actually probably the most tricky part of the adjustment to accomplish as tiny movements were not easy.

Note: The length of the arm that you actually use is determined by the relative position of th tip on the cartridge (in effect the overhang). The rod can be moved back and forth - although again with some difficulty to place the tip exactly on the linear path across the record. Basically during alignment if it hits the line on the outside of the record and on the inside those 2 points define the straight line path you follow - therefore - hit twise and we are doing well.

The counterweight is a 6 gram unit - which is sufficient to balance the shelter 901. Being clearaudio they have gone completely to town on the counterweights - there are 4 the other 3 being smaller and each is a beautifully machine off-centre ring which you can use to affect the stability of the needle in the groove.

Think that's it!

----------------

On 2/15/2005 8:12:04 AM LarryC wrote:

Beautifully
photographed, 'Shopped and explained, Max! To my eye, the TT is a masterful esthetic, mechanical and musical design, and I love the little light on the motor. Where does the arm pivot to go down?

Larry

----------------

The three brass connectors you see connect from the arm to the pivot which is the raised aluminium part of the platform. The strange thing is that the whole is not nearly as heavy as it looks. I guess it weighs a couple of pounds only - despite looking like it weighs ten times that amount.