Member's Weekly Music Recommendtions-Feb. 14

thebes

I just loved last's week recomemndation's and the great informative discourse between Alan and Gary on jazz. It looks like I'm going to have to do a lot more work on discovering the best of that genre.

The format couldn't be easier: artist/group, name of cd/album etc., type of music as best you can. Commentary is more than welcome.

I wanted to do something on this year's Grammy's but I pulled some muscles on Friday and spent the weekend on my back, so I'll lead off with a new one for me that is on the changer right now:

The Alan Parsons Project "The Definitive Collection:, rock slash easy listening slash disco, hard to categorize.

No real descriptive analysis yet but I like it, lots of insturments, good beats, good singer, great mastering.

So what do you have to share? Also if you have any feel for any of the Grammy winners, feel free to share.

Speaking of Alan Parson, I have to recommend the most popular LP, I Robot. Everyone's heard this album but I just got an MSFL copy on vinyl and you don't know what you've been missing until you hear one. I know you all are probably sick of me recommending these MFSL recordings but they're just so good I can't help myself.12.gif

That and Frank Sinatra with Count Basie, "It Might As Well Be Swing." Great album. Fly me to the moon baby!10.gif

Nice one with the Alan Parsons Project Thebes, I always loved I, Robot. EDIT POST- ya beat me by seconds Gary, my phone rang mid-post END EDIT. Please note that Mr. Parsons was the producer of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Just a little trivia for ya!

Well, I've been trying to relax a bit this week, so a friend has been coming over and we've been doing some YOGA before hitting my little home gym. It's a good stretch before the workout. What does this have to do with music? - everything.

I like the music to match the mood or activity. For instance, when I used to do home remodeling, demolition day was Jimi Hendrix, Carpentry and drywall we'd rock out with some classic Zep or Deep Purple, then we'd slow it down to country speed for the trim work.

Likewise for exersize, the same tunes you pump iron to don't work well for Yoga. Got out a series from STEPHEN HALPERN, a 3 CD collection called, simply enough MUSIC FOR YOGA. Halpern also has many other titles available, mostly mellow piano and strings or woodwinds, some with natural ambient environmental sounds mixed in . Great for soft office listening or just relaxing. I heard about them through a photo seminar where this music was highly regarded for sales consulations.

btw, Dodger, how's my form on the EDIT POST?

Relax and enjoy,

Michael

Since I've been on a Hammond B3 roll, I'm suggesting this one:

B000005GVT.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Currently available on CD from all the usual sources--vinyl is scarce and very expensive.

This is a groundbreaking LP--Larry Young was the first organ player to develop a truly unique voice after Jimmy Smith--all of the other greats stood directly in Mr. Smith's shadow, but Larry Young pushed the envelope toward the "New Thing." It is often said that if Jimmy Smith was the Charlie Parker of the B3, then Larry Young is the John Coltrane. I dunno about THAT, but Larry Young was the real deal and this was his first of many great Blue Note LPs (after a couple of pretty standard soul-jazz organ romps for Prestige/New Jazz in the very early 1960's). This one is notible for the presence of Sam Rivers, a gigantic talent who is still quite active today and making TERRIFIC music! Add Grant Green and Elvin Jones to the mix and you've got quite a stew!

Good to see Gary and Allan taking part regularly on this thread. Can you feel the brainpower increasing?

Gawd, this is going to be very expensive. Now I KNOW my Technics SL1700 from 1976 is not worthy. Can anyone suggest a moderately priced turntable? I guess belt drive is the way to go for less rumble. Maybe $300-$400 or so? Can anything be had?

EDIT POST- As a photographer, I have to say I really love some of the Blue Note album covers. The one posted by Allan is stunning!

Michael

While we're on the organ,6.gif how about a little Freddie Roach. Right now I got "Brown Sugar" spinning with Freddie on the B3, Joe Henderson on tenor and Eddie Wright on guitar. He may be a wannabe, but he can sure play. Another one of his to look for is "Mo Greens Please."

B000000Z9G.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

This is what I was spinning while enjoying a LOVELY Valentine's Day dinner! Byard was truly a uniqe voice. Harlem Stride meets bebop meets funk meets boogie-woogie meets New Thing! The cuts are about half trio and half quintet. Byard is known primarily for his work with Charles Mingus, Booker Ervin and Roland Kirk. Byard was not only a great pianist but also played a fine tenor and alto saxaphone and trumpet as well! In later years he was a professor of music at Harvard.

This is the most "conventional" of all his dates as a leader and is in print as an "OJC" CD. If you like what you hear here, then check out his FABULOUS ablum with Roland Kirk! This is an amazing record--when you combine the incredibly diverse talents of Byard and Kirk you get a really rich stew--from one cut to the next you never know what to expect and are continually surprised!

B00000FXOF.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

A couple of oldies that I like to show off my horns with are Gershwin and Copeland. Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" and Copeland's "Fanfare For The Common Man" are really impressive with Heritage speakers.

"Hoe Down" from Copeland's "Rodeo" always makes me want to go out for a steak dinner too.

Some great suggestions so far, but I am changing things up with this one a bit. I recently read a thread on another forum about this music/concert DVD and it has taken me a few weeks to actually find it but as I type this I am very much enjoying this disk. What disk is you ask??

http://www.intervocative.com/cgi-bin/data/myprofiler/images/0349703242f.jpg

Jimmy Page & Robert Plants, No Quarter Unleaded DVD. IT has DTS and sounds fantastic.

Speaking of Alan Parsons, right around Christmas I purchased Irobot and On Air on HDAD, interesting music.

----------------

On 2/15/2005 12:39:41 PM jtkinney wrote:

"Hoe Down" from Copeland's "Rodeo" always makes me want to go out for a steak dinner too.

----------------

For something completely different yet somewhat 'the same', you should get a copy of Bela Fleck and the Flectone's 'OutBound. He has a version of HoeDown on it that is definitely out there.

Here's a review...

http://www.andrewraff.com/music/reviews/000810fleck/

Seriously, it is good stuff.

Forrest

Great suggestions I look forward to this thread every week.

Here's one of my favorite vinyls. You get it on CD still.

This is for the "folkie" in all of us. This is the pure down home folk, sung and played by a master. this album rocks too and has electric and acoustic numbers.

It is also, "regulation" motorcycle music. (Which makes it into my top list every time for cruisin' the back roads of New England.)

c51094i1118.jpg

Check out the power of "Driving Wheel" and think of your parents and family with "Child's Song" about leaving home.

Shed a tear and think of your Grandfather with "Old Man's Song"

...and boogie with "Drop Down Mama"

great stuff!

This is a winner.

I'll second the reissue of JimmyPage and Robert Plant 'No Quarter' on DVD, with additional tracks!

Here is the text from my 'review' if you will from December of this year. Being a Zep fan, who incidentally was maced by the police at the Indianapolis show in 1977, I buy all their product the week it is released. Below is my earlier post:

I just purchased the recently released "Revisited, Remixed, Remastered DVD DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1" version of Jimmy Page and Robert Plant's 'No Quarter- Unledded'. This is a new mix of the 1994 MTV 'Unplugged' series previously avail on VHS and CD.

The presentation features some of Led Zeppelin's most popular and obscure numbers freshly arranged with the addition of bassist Charlie Jones from Plant's band, Porl Thompson from the Cure, Hassam Ramzy's Egyptian Ensemble, and keyboardist Ed Shearmur. The songs are both stripped of Zeppelin's heavy production, then embellished with eastern flair in many cases. The recording, set design, production and special additions are all excellent. 5 additional songs above the CD version.

Performance-wise, Mssrs Page and Plant are in splendid health, nearly radient, and haven't lost any chops at all over the years. The youthful and globe-trotting band adds power and finesse. The show varies from 4-piece to mini-orchestra of about 30 members, with some songs recorded on location.

This morning, an old guitar-playing multi-instrumentalist buddy of mine showed up. I put The Rain Song on, an old favorite that was featured in Zep's movie Song Remains the Same. Through the Yamaha-Klipsch system, you could hear the scrape of Jimmy's metal slide across the strings and fingers squeaking on the fretboard. Recording separation and 5.1 implementation is extraordinary. The boy's didn't miss a note. When the big cresendo kicked in, I boosted the output to about 110 dB. My buddy actually got TEARS IN HIS EYES. Said afterward that Rain Song was the first guitar song he ever learned by ear. He'd never heard it sound so good. Like Jimmy Page was in the room with him.

Michael

I've been listening to a variety of music this week and generally driving my wife crazy.

Elton John: Goodbye Yellowbrick Road (DVD-A)

Steely Dan: Gaucho (DVD-A)

Allman Bros. Band: Dreams (CD box set)

Spencer Davis Group: Best Of SDG (CD)

Terry Reid: Bang, Bang, You're Terry Reid (CD)

The Zombies: Greatest Hits (CD)

The Carpenters: The Singles (SACD)

Jimmy Smith: DotCom Blues (CD)

Plus a couple compilation CDs I made titled "My Happy Organ" - everybody from Dave "Baby" Cortez, The Rascals & The Doors to Deep Purple, The Animals & Rhinoceros. Gotta love those Hammond B-3, Farfisa & Vox organs.

Ok.. here's the new music I've been listening to this week.

Last Friday was our local library's annual Book/CD/DVD sale...

all CD's 2.00

all albums $.50 (there was one album.. Jim Neighbors.. LOL)

so I threw a handful or two of CD's in the bag, all stuff I had never heard of.

some were not to my liking, but this one...

Juan De Marcos: Afro/Cuban All Stars, En Vivo (Live in Japan)

is GREAT.

Complex rhythms, great singing, old cats jamming, hot recording and excellent soundstage.

CD, 2004 recording, Globe Star Recordings

I guess it's still available, but I don't know.

It surely makes you want to shake your butt!

Forrest

The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion-Orange(CD. Matador. 1994) & JSBX(the hipster abbreviation)-Acme(CD. Matador. 1998)

I hate it when I hear people say "they just don't have good music anymore" but don't have anything newer than Foghat in their collection. If you like the raunchy/bluesier Stones stuff like Exile On Main Street I think you may dig JSBX. Throw in some over the top vocals and the occasional sampled breakbeat or scratch and you've got Orange(my fave). Acme was their last album that I really enjoyed and I still play it quite a bit. Sample some of Acme on cdnow. Calvin, Talk About The Blues are great tunes. "I don't play no blues...I play Rock 'n' Roll!"