End of the upgrade journey for me.

Erukian

Maybe it's because i'm trying to balance college/building a 67 mustang fastback/girlfriend on a 30hr/week crappy job and enjoy my love for great sounding speakers. But I've put nearly 900 into my stereo system - 200 into a pair of great headphones and headphone amp. And there's always this need to improve, to keep upgrading. To achieve better sound.

In the end it's just investing in my ears and making them happy. I can see why my g/f see's it as a waste of money, but when it's late at night, and everything is quiet and i'm just beat from a hard day. I sit down, play just the right song, and it totally flows over and through me. It begins to feel more like emotional therapy if you can get the song just right for the mood and then it all seems worth it.

For me, personally, the challenge is realizing that my audio system will have to be "good enough" at least for now -- so I can start investing in some other things. I'm not saying i'm going to leave these forums, because there's so much to learn from some of the old doods. But my passion for improving my system will have to be put on a hold .. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Trust me, everything comes in phases. I used to go through the following:

1) Fixing up my truck

2) Fixing up my computer

3) Fixing up my HT system

4) Clothes

5) Girlfriend/s

6) Repeat

I think it's a good idea, and very healthy, to go off and try some other things for now. Try your energy at that 67 Mustang. Go out and eat some nice meals with your woman. Hit the books a little harder. Then, when you least expect it, you will find yourself drifting back into the world of audio. It might be years and years from now, but take my word for it, once an audio junkie, always an audio junkie.

Have a good time, check in from time to time and let us know how you're doing pal.

hey i feel your pain on the spending just got back from picking up a set of cornwalls, (650.00), and tonight i just had to have that ever elusive pioneer rt909 reel to reel (400), had to borrow that money, have a new addition to the house on the way in sept. and still cant get enough hi fi, its definately an addiction but i have to agree with the prev. post when i look around and see where others throw there money it does give me a little justification, at least when all is said and done i have tangiable goods that will likely be worth more than i invested,

P.S. anyone want to put a 1975 harley flh electra glide back togeather for me, only in about 50 pieces now?14.gif

When my wife complained a few years ago about my spending several hundred to a couple of thousand on audio upgrades, I offered to take her to the local boat showroom to show her how much the local fishermen spend just to catch and release some silly bass...

$30,000 boat and trailer combos, $1000 reels... comparatively, I think I'm getting the better return for my investment. However way you look at it, as long as you don't put yourself into bankruptcy, or shortchange the rest of your family, it's worth what you're willing to pay for it, and it's all better than buying booze, drugs, and hookers 9.gif

Erukian,

Sounds like some seasoned wisdom you are expressing. I think your instincts are right to keep things in balance. Enjoying music, the way you have described it... that's what's great about audio. Upgrading can take on a life of it's own that takes away the pleasure of just enjoying the music. I've been taking a break from upgrading, too.

Keep on enjoying the tunes. (whenever you can come up for air) you've got alot going on with your time for sure.

----------------

P.S. anyone want to put a 1975 harley flh electra glide back togeather for me, only in about 50 pieces now?
14.gif

----------------

Where ya located, couple years ago, my wife bought me a 1983 490 Maico that was literally in 500 parts. The entire bike, engine, transmission, EVERYTHING that could be unscrewed, WAS.

I loved every minute of putting it back together. Seems prior owner wrecked it and bent/broke internal shift fork so he had it all apart to find/fix. Then a baby wondered into his life and he had to shelf the bike.

I got FOUR boxes home, opened up, put engine parts on table and in about 15 minutes, had the engine "together" as far as where the parts went, transmission and all.

Oh... the bike started the first time when I was done and since I put all new bearings/piston ect.. inside... ran like a bat outta...

1.gif9.gif10.gif

My wife has a hard time with my "upgrades". She thinks a person should buy a pair of speakers, amp - whatever, and keep it it till it falls apart. I admit though, I am prone to get all hot to aquire the latest thing, and then sometimes in a matter of months even, I'm disillusioned and looking for the next big thing. I really try NOT to be this way, but sometimes you just take wrong turns on the road to hi-fi nirvana. The guys who buy klipsch heritage, B&W 800 series and McIntosh electronis and keep it forever and then pass it on to their kids are probably the smart ones.

My wife also has this silly concept she calls "saving money for the kid's education". I'm not really sure what this means. She has tried explaining it to me, but it makes no sense.9.gif

Thanks for the nice comments :)

Yeah, I still love audio, i'll still hang around here whenever i hop in our computer labs or when i get on my comp at the dorms (which is pretty much every day). Just can't be buying new interconnects, new amps, new preamps, new dvd-audio just to hear what new dvd-audio came out.

It's all pretty fun, but expensive. Nobody spends as much on audio as I have when it's not for a car at my school of 13,000+

Congrats10.gif It's very hard to stop yourself from upgrading sometimes. We know our systems sound amazing and we need to sit down and enjoy the tunes more than to think about upgrades. This is what I've been doing and I'm happy as a clam. The only future upgrades for me will be a pair of RF-7 and maybe a tube cd player. But I'm taking my time, I'm not in a rush to get them. For the first time, I can finally say I'm happy with what I've got.

However, I need to finish restoring my vintage tube amp this summer. I've done all the major stuff. Just need to replace the old wiring and driver board.

Maurice

When I got to graduate school, I used my first guaranteed student loan money to order up a pair of Fortes. I still have that pair in my 7.1 heretige system. They serve as the surrounds with Belles up front and LaScalas in the rear. Another pair of Fortes are stacked one on top of the other for the center channel.

Points to remember: 1. College is a fountain of knowledge where students learn to drink.

2. There's a time and place for everything and it's called college.

I....I....I am not having this conversation!

I am not thinking about the money!

I am not thinking about how hard I am going to have to work from now on!

I....I.....I....wonder if that Clearaudio Outer Ring record clamp is worth 800 Euros....

help!

My Dear Cricket,

This is sometimes called the Dark Night of the Soul. How quickly it passes depends on your resolve. Begin with prayer, fasting, and abstinence. The vision is slow to form, but it will be overwhelming. You will enter the bright path to perfection, ±.5db.

DR BILL

A little advice.

I have similar hobbies. I thought that the purchase of my K Horns was teh end all, thenm I discovered this forum and learned why my old SS receiver sounded so harsh (I though it did, but how with such great speakers?)

Anyway a few lessons.

The car thing is very expensive and you will almost never recoupe your $$.

The audio thing, if done by conservative purchases can be a break even situation. Buy good heritage stuff and its value will increase with time (if bought used). Even if you buy new, in theory you will never need to replace.

With the skill set that you have (I am assuming that you know how to fabricate and build) buy a house and improve it. Make it as pretty as possible (build custon cabnets, custom paint, flooring, trim etc.). You will make money here, possibly a lot. Furthermore, if your wife (yes it will happen) can live through the mess, she will be happy when it is done and want you to do more (she will get used to the creature comforts). this is good because you will not get a hassle for wanting to pursue your hobby.

I may be wrong, but this has been my experience.

Chris

My feeling has been to have a system that will be good enough so that I can walk into any Stereo Shop and say - whoa, this sounds a whole lot better.

I read of the wives that feel buy it, plug it in, nothing will ever sound better or make any component obsolete.

You drop hints near your birthday, Christmas. You hear, I wouldn't have any idea what to buy. So you offer to make a list of 20 items, various prices, where to get them, who to talk to and they will say nothing. Nope.

This is just fact, no brag. I'm within one pound of when I graduated High School. I have suits still in style - I stay to conservative styles. I have uniform shirts - white, but with no jacket you know, by the shoulder epaulets, the 2 holes, they are not average. But I have plenty of regular white, color dress shirts.

More clothes I don't need. Jewelry is limited to a watch, wedding band. Dress, walking, uniform shoes - all colors.

Mention a DVD player, we don't rent enough movies. Tubes - you have 4 of those caddy things full - dosn't matter if they have been bought as part of a lot to get some I need.

You all know the rest. I identify with the Capital One "No" commercial.

So one sells something it would be nice to keep - investment as prices are going up. The result is either argue or be happy.

But $900.00 for a serger used twice in three years - sewing.

end of rant.

My system still blows most others away. But I would never say that while listening to another's system.

Upgrades? He don't need no stinkin' upgrades. :)

dodger