Klipsch Buys Jamo

Indyjeep

Maybe some of us here should, in fact, put our money where our mouths are. Not by buying new Heritage, but by buying out the Klipsch Heritage line. It wouldn't be the first time that employees and others have done a buy out.

Uh - huh.....I can see the wheels spinning in many of your minds right now at the thought. Not sure just exactly what kind of money I could scrape together, but I'd be in should some grass roots movement take place.

Tom

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Joshua Ryan Hall

Joshua Hall here. Just wanted to share some facts about these developments that might have been overlooked in the press releases --

Purchase of the Jamo brand name and key assets is an acquisition and not a merger. The newly formed Jamo International Aps and Klipsch Audio Technologies will be operated as separate companies or subsidiaries under the Klipsch Audio, Inc. parent company.

A Klipsch speaker could never be mistaken for a Jamo speaker. They are very different products that appeal to very different consumers. They utilize different technologies and have different signature sounds.

The primary reason Klipsch Audio, Inc. purchased Jamo was for global expansion. The net of this transaction is that one of the top European speaker brands that also has significant distribution in Asia, and the number one speaker brand in all U.S. distribution channels, are now both assembled under the Klipsch Audio, Inc. management team, which has earned double-digit sales growth for seven consecutive years.

To put it in its simplest form, as the number one speaker brand in the U.S., Klipsch was doing well for itself. But having all of the company's eggs in one basket (market) is not a good strategy for staying on top and developing products people enjoy owning.

Branching out into other parts of the world is not new for Klipsch. We have been selling speakers outside the U.S. for decades. Even prior to the acquisition of Jamo, Klipsch speakers were distributed to 75 countries around the world. So why purchase another brand if we are already selling to other countries? Choice and preference. While U.S. consumers obviously prefer the dynamic sound of Klipsch (remember, Klipsch has number one market share in speakers), that is not always that case in other countries, particualrly in Europe. Now, Klipsch Audio, Inc. will be able to evaluate growth markets and market segments globally, choose the most appropriate brand or brands mix and enter competitively with high-quality products that meet consumer demands.

Regarding John Carter's background: there is no denying that he is a smart man who has developed technologies that are incredibly successful in the marketplace. As chief technology officer, John will work with existing Klipsch and Jamo engineering teams to develop new technologies that add functionality, performance and who knows what else. As I understand it, we're talking about high-level research and development here that may have uses no one has thought of yet. John will not be responsible for product development for either company; we already have excellent teams in place. He is an established professional with 29 years of experience in consumer electronics and technology development who will certainly contribute great things to the Klipsch Audio, Inc. offerings.

Regarding the Heritage line: We have experienced delays over the past couple of years. You are all aware that we had to change some vendors and do some retooling, etc., mostly through no fault of our own I am told. Today, however, we are running at about 10 days from order to shipping and have been for a few months. There is a "typical" domestic wait time of three weeks for Heritage models.

I know that there is a human tendancy to lean toward the negative when faced with change. I do it and I'm supposed to be this mind-controlled-corporate-cheerleader-robot that thinks everything is peachy-keen. But I think most of you will be pleasantly surprised over the next year when things fall into place, new initiatives are launched and even more products come to market. I'm a pretty even keel, "you can never be too calm" kind of guy and even I am excited about the future of Klipsch.

--Joshua Ryan Hall

Public Relations Manager

----------------

On 2/21/2005 11:09:10 AM Tom Adams wrote:

Maybe some of us here should, in fact, put our money where our mouths are. Not by buying new Heritage, but by buying out the Klipsch Heritage line. It wouldn't be the first time that employees and others have done a buy out.

Uh - huh.....I can see the wheels spinning in many of your minds right now at the thought. Not sure just exactly what kind of money I could scrape together, but I'd be in should some grass roots movement take place.

Tom

----------------

Add that to IBSlammin and what do we have. A few scattered orders.

We want the Heritage Line BUT we want THE Heritage Line.

Go back in the last one year's posts. Note how many state that they are buying new new Heritage Line. Then count the number of posts that start, go on Audiogon, you'll get them for..., wait until some show up on the forum.

Now, some will just say this is another dodger rant. Prove me wrong. I would love it. QC? If you make so few, the quality will suffer especially on K-horns.

The ORIGINAL line-up:

Heresy (H-700)

Cornwall

LaScala

Belle

Klipsch Horn

Buy New? Save Money? Wal-Mart Thinking. If a new Cornwall II was available. I would own at least a pair.

If all that wanted Heritage put some money up, maybe we could buy the line.

McIntosh Only brought back tube when Clarion bought the Company.

Look at their prices for any component now.

Complaints about high klipsch, McIntosh prices at times. Let's sell to Investors so we can buy back at xx times what the price should be.

Lets knock RF-7s.

Putting that last part aside, I write Resumes. I used to read Resumes. There's a point - prove that you can do something, show initiative. Now that you're hired, you do it my way - you don't change me - I pay you.

When the sky falls, I'll pay attention or I'll listen to my used Corwall IIs. I'll bet a number will listen to their bought used K-horns, Belles, LaScalas.

I wish Amy could put the 2003 or 2004 NEW sales figures for Heritage Models up.

dodger

Hear, hear...we can all wax nostalgic for the Heritage line but they are not being bought...is this because they aren't marketed or is it "money down the drain" because "everyone" wants small, unnnoticed speakers? I agree, I love my Heresys...would buy Cornwalls...would LOVE Klipschorns BUT...I don't see me plunking down $7500 for a set...not when I can get "almost" as nice as new, possibly with any "problems" (due to aging or misuse) fixed and get them for a third of that price...I bought 2 sets of Heresys for less than my brother paid for his set of Heresy IIs in 1990...I LAMOST bought Synergy but for the bad mouthing it got from MANY here (of course, I didn't listen to THEM) but fell into a great deal on Heresys.

We can squawk about how it SHOULD be but we don't run the company...those that DO run the company do so at the discretion of stockholders I bet...it is sad but the days of running a company "how I want, the WAY I want" may be gone...if only to stay alive...do we want Klipsch to be bought out or disappear entirely but they made a handful of Heritage to the end, or continue as they are but remain lucrative so some of us can buy the new Heritage?

Just my .02

Bill

very interesting -

yeah klipsch-

go Klipsch-

I certainly think low fi Klipsch should go after 10% of the iPod market - what 200,000 sales yearly!!!!

versus 100 Khorns. Of course they should. Besides they can continue to support the Heritage series merely by providing the drivers and letting people make their own cabinets, like the Lowther folks do. Klipsch is not the only solution for those who like big ole horns. Altec, JBL and others also exist. They just have the best brand name and web site. I am thrilled to see them succeed and survive.

10.gif

How do you know that Klipsch isn't designing a miniature Klipschorn to be used with Ipods and home PCs? I think it is fantastic that Klipsch has moved out of the box to acquire someone/something to drive new technology.

There will never be another revolution like the Klipschorn the way things are now. Shaking things up usually makes something happen. At least Klipsch is keen to the task.

I think they are searching for some new and differentiating technology, not just a quick buck. They would have hired a bean counter if that was the case.

As long as you can still purchase a Heritage product, that should be good enough for the product line.

Nice job Klipsch10.gif

Guest Joshua Ryan Hall

Just as a point of information ...

Klipsch is a privately held company. We do not have any shareholders. The Klipsch family owns and controls the company and there is now a minority investment from a venture capital company.

I saw a few mentions of shareholders and I just wanted to make sure it was clear that we are not a publicly traded company.

--Joshua Ryan Hall

"How do you know that Klipsch isn't designing a miniature Klipschorn to be used with Ipods and home PCs?"

A Klipsch "Folded Wave Radio"? What is Bo$e's Wave Radio but a plastic back horn loaded full range driver? It's made the good Doctor very rich.6.gif

If Klipsch ever went public, I'd buy some stock. Not to become rich but to own a piece of the Legend.

I'd love to have some new Cornwall IIIs for upstairs. Built with the new "X" drivers developed for the Khorn and a clean, modern crossover network. Yes, they would cost north of two grand, but what is the inflated value of eight hundred 1977 dollars?

I think Klipsch would sell more Heritage using a well designed web site and direct marketing. How many potential buyers have been frustrated by or not introduced to Heritage by the rag-tag group of current dealers.

Joshua, Thank you.1.gif

Rick

----------------

On 2/21/2005 12:15:06 PM Maron Horonzak wrote:

Dodger....What makes you think Klipsch Ink. wants to sell that division? What would you call that company? Where would your distributership come from? Would it be called the Dodgerhorn?

----------------

Sorry Maron, today I don't have the best sense of humour.

What I am saying is if Mr Hall can disclose, how many new Heritage Line Speakers were sold in eith 2003 or 2004.

What I referred to is the clamor to keep the line going, but when a person mentions buying new, all sorts of advice to buy used pours in. Each used pair sold is a new pair not sold.

But from a business point think about it. We all want them, but how many actually buy any of the Heritage line new?

You could buy the company's Heritage. I have NO inside information.

I did REFERENCE the post before me, interesting read. oops, then I agreed with it. Lightning coming my way, better throw out my computer, it doesn't type english.

I've had it.

dodger

Dodger....Its very hard to produce a product that doesnt wear out. But look at the Klipschorn..Mine,s over 30 years old & still chugging away. yes Ive tweeked the pi$$ out of them. How many on this site with older Khorns upgraded to the newer mid drivers 55X newer K77 tweets and the newer crossover that Klipsch offers? All I see is ALK or BEC crossovers purchased or used Altec horns, used Atlas drivers etc etc etc etc. Thats OK thats part of the fun I love tweeking too. But to gripe about the new gents hired at the K company might tarnish the name!!!! New blood is always needed in any company It keeps us old poops to look over our shoulders & plow harder. But now Im on the other side A consumer...What Does the K company have to offer me today to open my wallet? Maybe these 2 gents will find a way to make a new product Ill buy.

Guest Anonymous

I did REFERENCE the post before me, interesting read.  oops, then I agreed with it.  Lightning coming my way, better throw out my computer, it doesn't type english.

I've had it.

dodger

well for not having a sense of humor i got a kick out of it hehehe

----------------

On 2/21/2005 4:49:41 PM dodger wrote:

----------------

On 2/21/2005 12:15:06 PM Maron Horonzak wrote:

Dodger....What makes you think Klipsch Ink. wants to sell that division? What would you call that company? Where would your distributership come from? Would it be called the Dodgerhorn?

----------------

Sorry Maron, today I don't have the best sense of humour.

What I am saying is if Mr Hall can disclose, how many new Heritage Line Speakers were sold in eith 2003 or 2004.

dodger

----------------

Somewhere in a thread a few weeks ago, Trey mentioned they sell about as many Heritage speakers annually as Rolls Royce or Hummer(not the H2 mind you) sells cars. That would be in the range of about 1000 from some of the Rolls and Hummer data I checked out. Don't know if Trey was talking individual speakers or pairs.

I'd probably buy a new set of Heritage(Hersey to replace the little Triangles in my den) if I didn't live 120 miles from the nearest Heritage retailer. I'm such an "internet" consumer anymore, I usually know what I want and can only find it a million miles from where I live.

----------------

On 2/19/2005 12:46:51 AM J.4knee wrote:

Look at the new Synergy stuff. Quality was not at the forefront of this product line.

----------------

I don't understand where your getting at? Everyone knows the new Synergy is much better then the old lol, and I think it looks hella better as well.

I say make it a separate and distinct division of Klipsch Technologies. Call it HeritageWorks® or something. Offer knockdown kits for all the Heritage speakers including the Jubilee. Include services for various types of custom work. Hire a cranky old bastard to run the thing, someone who stops the show everytime the glue drips where it isn't supposed to.

----------------

On 2/22/2005 8:40:37 AM DeanG wrote:

I say make it a separate and distinct division of Klipsch Technologies. Call it HeritageWorks® or something. Offer knockdown kits for all the Heritage speakers including the Jubilee. Include services for various types of custom work. Hire a cranky old bastard to run the thing, someone who stops the show everytime the glue drips where it isn't supposed to.
----------------

Three cheers for Dean.....

----------------

On 2/21/2005 6:43:39 PM Gramas701 wrote:

I did REFERENCE the post before me, interesting read. oops, then I agreed with it. Lightning coming my way, better throw out my computer, it doesn't type english.

I've had it.

dodger

well for not having a sense of humor i got a kick out of it hehehe

----------------

Thank You:

I'm Glad that you caught that..9.gif

----------------

On 2/22/2005 9:01:12 AM hwatkins wrote:

----------------

On 2/22/2005 8:40:37 AM DeanG wrote:

----------------

Three cheers for Dean.....

----------------

I agree, that wouldn't such a bad idea accually...

I mean, the entire older fanbase of Klipsch grew up loving the heritage series.

----------------

On 2/21/2005 5:39:39 PM Maron Horonzak wrote:

Dodger....Its very hard to produce a product that doesnt wear out. But look at the Klipschorn..Mine,s over 30 years old & still chugging away. yes Ive tweeked the pi$$ out of them. How many on this site with older Khorns upgraded to the newer mid drivers 55X newer K77 tweets and the newer crossover that Klipsch offers? All I see is ALK or BEC crossovers purchased or used Altec horns, used Atlas drivers etc etc etc etc. Thats OK thats part of the fun I love tweeking too. But to gripe about the new gents hired at the K company might tarnish the name!!!! New blood is always needed in any company It keeps us old poops to look over our shoulders & plow harder. But now Im on the other side A consumer...What Does the K company have to offer me today to open my wallet? Maybe these 2 gents will find a way to make a new product Ill buy.

----------------

Well Al K. and BEC are looking at parts from a different angle. They hear that changes are wanted. They can offer some services that the Company does not.

DeanG was left out - he has spent a lot of time trying to perfect and offer the best.

But It would be nice to see someone mention, "'I'm buying a 2005 model pair of K - Horns."

As I stated - each used sale - someone seeing 5 or 6 replies to go to Audiogon or eBay - represents one less sale of new Heritage.

Now I believe I read that there were 1000 sales - unknown if pairs or singles - I've forgotten whether that's for K-Horns or the entire Heritage line. Either way I don't think that's close to say the RF-7s Or the entire Reference Line.

Frankly, I do not believe all the posts of media break downs - very scripted, towards vulgar, repeated. If a new one is posted the same comments.

Then we had the ordeal of the speaker that did not work - how many posts before we found after he was brave enough to state that he had not hooked them up?

Next it was noted that the Reference and Heritage Lines would be U.S. made. That has been forgotten as people are complaining about the workers in Hope not assembling with great QC the Synergy Line - China.

For the Marketplace: NAD designs, they can be MDE in any one of a few places. That's why some say they sound great, some don't.

With Surround Sound there are a number that don't want a huge K-horn, Belle, Cornwall, etc.. Much as we may not like change, put a 60" HDTV, and how many speakers?

Before it starts, I know some have 4 or 6 K-Horns in one room or LaScalas, plus subs. Now if they bought all new. They spend all that money and buy subs that they have never heard.

The one complaint that I do have about the Company is that the more I defend them and spend my time typing, there is a lack of thank you.

That's one thing that was drilled into me, I drilled it into my people. Even if they were on the road - if someone was doing a project, by choice or by assignment, they received a thank you.

Back to speakers - if people want Heritage, it has to be cost effective. There were Gordon Gow tribute editions at McIntosh, they were issued in a specific number.

Klipsch could do that.

Walk into a stereo store, other than wood, black or height they all look the same, save for the RF7.

My one MC60 is a 1958 - 47 years old. What do people want. Personally I'm not sure if it's Yamo or Jamo.

Dean: for all of your work, I wish you success. BEC you keep them going, Al K. you offer a change for certain models.

But what about new sales?