Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Jan. 21

thebes

Well happy President's Day to all you music loving freedom fighters. I'm sure if George and Abe were alive to0day they'd ne stopping by here to pick up so new tunes to play on their all-american Klipsch.

The format is simple: artist/group, name of cd/album etc., type of music as best you can. Commentary is more than welcome.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Tracy Chapman "Crossroads" lp, folk

This is another artist everyone should have in their collection. A deep, well paced voice with a haunting tremble in certain passages produces goosebumps on a regular basis. An absolutely unique voice with well-crafted songs that make a statement instead of drown you in the normal love-songs. A A poet, protester, observer and commentator for this or any time. Wonderful acoustic guitar and very well recorded.

So what do you have to share?

Well Hello Mssr. Thebes, was wondering when we'd get started on this week.

My recommendation might be one that you already have, in which case, get it out and dust it off. In GaryMD's last shipment of LP's to my very address sits a mint condition 2LP of The Who Quadrophenia, complete with BOOKLET, which I had never seen before. Several of my fave Who songs on this including 5:15 (Out of my Brain on the Train..) and Entwistle's My Wife.

Classic Rock Opera, much more sophisticated than Tommy, with the requisite recurring themes et al. Brilliant songwriting and execution by the four originals. Sadly drummer Keith Moon would be taken from us just a few albums in the future.

Get it out, put it on, ROCK ON

Michael

Here is mine for this week:

B00005AVE2.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Herbie Nichols was truly an underappreciated genius of modern music. And while some of you might be familiar with his Blue Note recordings which have been reissued by Mosiac on LP and Blue Note on CD within the last decade, this set, which was recorded about a year and a half after the final Blue Note session is even MORE obscure--if that's possible!

I looked for YEARS for this one on LP and finally found a decent (for a Bethlehem LP--they're all kinda noisy) one about 7-8 years ago and it's really one of my treasured LPs! Fortunatley, Rhino put out a very nice reissue a couple of years back and I believe it's still available. I just checked on Amazon and there is a seller there selling this one for less that eight dollars!

Nichols is joined by Dannie Richman on drums and George Duvivier on bass. These cuts are a bit more straight-ahead than the Blue Note sessions and Nichols' unique lyricism shines through.

THIS IS A FABULOUS RECORD!

Miles Davis - 'Round About Midnight. I have been reading a biography of Davis titled "So What" so when my wife saw this SACD at the record store she picked it up for me last week. (good wife) I think this is the first recording session with John Coltrane playing sax with Davis. Red Garland on piano, Paul Chambers on bass and Philly Joe Jones on drums. Some very understated tracks and some great bop. The man was cool. I think it is destined to be a fave.

Something a bit differant from whats listed. I recently purchased Lenny Kravitz Greatest Hits. This is my first Kravitz disk and while I have heard a lot of this music there are a few songs that I wasnt familier with. I find that if there is an artist I don't own anything of I often purchase a greatest hits type of cd and then work my way into his or her catelogue from there.

This is a very good disk and really showes Lenny's versatility as a musician with a rockin "American Women" and then a very jazzy "It Aint Over Till its Over".

Anyway, it's not for everyone, but a nice change of pace for my collection.

On a side note, I seem to keep suggesting rock every week, I promise I have a modest collection of a wide variety of genre's other than Rock or Hard rock....really I do 9.gif

Since I had a rare couple of hours to do some experimenting with my sytem today, I re-discovered a great "sound system demonstration" for those who like rock.

Dada - Puzzle. Remember that song "Dizz Knee Land"? Yikes, a little overpalyed in it's day but 12 years later, kind of cool. It's a hell of an early 90's power pop disc and a great one for testing out your system.

An LP that recently showed up in my collection is Gerry Mulligan/Chet Baker, Carnegie Hall Concert, Volume 1. Not only a fantastic jazz album but an incredible live recording. Seems live recordings are either really good or really bad. I'll usually pick up any LP with "Van Gelder" stamped in the dead wax and this was true to form. It's probably the newest RVG stamped LP I own (1975). Now I'm wondering about Volume 2.4.gif

I have no idea if it's available on CD but I highly recommend it either way.

Lots of good stuff here for the first day of the week. I'll second the Lenny Kravitz Best- great performances and master mixing. Nicholtl- 'Sketches of Spain' very mature listing for someone so young- good pick. ALso on the Miles Davis bandwagon, the book 'The Man in the Green Shirt' should be required reading for the Jazz School.

that's all for now. Oh, love on someone a little bit, will ya?

Michael

More great music from a diverse set of music lovers.

Great suggestions!

Here's one of my favorite artist that I first discovered when he showed up in NYC for a Martin guitar

"Save the Rain Forest" concert.

He played one song on a accoustic and just took the house down. But playing awesome guitar is only a small

part of the Bruce Cockburn story, he is a lyricist that has been compared to Bob Dylan and Paul Simon. He is a

story teller and a image builder.

This is one of my favorite Cockburn albums. Exotic, romantic, erotic, mystical. He has a special mix of jazz, world music and

folk that just works.

If you haven't found Bruce Cockburn yet, give this one a try.

Breakfast in New Orleans, Dinner in Timbuktu.

d628330f4m1.jpg

----------------

On 2/21/2005 10:24:32 PM Steve_L wrote:

More great music from a diverse set of music lovers.

Great suggestions!

Here's one of my favorite artist that I first discovered when he showed up in NYC for a Martin guitar

"Save the Rain Forest" concert.

He played one song on a accoustic and just took the house down. But playing awesome guitar is only a small

part of the Bruce Cockburn story, he is a lyricist that has been compared to Bob Dylan and Paul Simon. He is a

story teller and a image builder.

This is one of my favorite Cockburn albums. Exotic, romantic, erotic, mystical. He has a special mix of jazz, world music and

folk that just works.

If you haven't found Bruce Cockburn yet, give this one a try.

Breakfast in New Orleans, Dinner in Timbuktu

"<a
http://image.allmusic.com/00/amg/cov200/drd600/d628/d628330f4m1.jpg">

----------------

Good one Steve. Also for those who'd like to give him a shot, try "Dancin' In The Dragon's Jaws." My personal Cockburn favorite.

I pulled out a CD I've had but hadn't played for awhile-and it blew me away-again. Jimmy Smith died recently--a true great on the Hammond B3 organ--and he recorded "Back at the Chicken Shack" with Kenny Burrell, Stan Turrentine and Donald Bailey some 40 years ago. Smooth cool jazz with real soul -- sadly you won't hear this on a smooth jazz radio station.

Its amazing how four guys could make this magic--long before synths and drum machines--that sounds so sexy and honest--

----------------

Good one Steve. Also for those who'd like to give him a shot, try "Dancin' In The Dragon's Jaws." My personal Cockburn favorite.

----------------

Ah, yes, that's an excellent choice too.

...and there are MANY to choose from. He has been a working poet/song writer for quite sometime. He's an excellent live performer too, and I've enjoyed his shows a few times.

I've been listening to a two-CD set from Mike Doughty, the guy from Soul Coughing. The set was $13.88 @ Wal Mart, and includes both Skittish and Rockity Roll.

Skittish is from the early 90's and is all just Mike and an acoustic guitar. There are 12 songs, at least 4 of them are excellent...."Thank you Lord for sending me the F train", "All the Dirt", "Rising Sign" and "Sweet Lord in Heaven". Very smart lyrics and catchy stuff.

Rockity Roll is newer. Mike adds a drum machine on some songs, but it's still just him with an acoustic guitar, like a one man band kinda thing...."27 Jennifers" is good. Then there are some great live songs from the Bonnaroo 2004 festival in Tennessee, "Move On" and "The only Answer".

I don't think you can find more entertainment for less than $15.16.gif

How about some power blues,Johnny Winter-Second Winter,the only double lp I ever saw with only 3 sides recorded and one blank.Johnny said he wouldn't give more than he thought was worthy and no less.This 2004 release cd from 69 recordings is very well remastered and my pick of all Johnny's great albums.As a special addition it includes a 2nd cd recorded live at Albert Hall 4/17/70 all previously unreleased and very good with good audio quality.Edger is even there with what I think is the earliest Frankenstein.