Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Feb. 28

thebes

Last day of the month so we'll be giving away another t-shirt next week. I continue to be amamzed at the breadthh of music offered up by the nice Forum folks. Time to get over to the music store again.

The format is simple: artist/group, name of cd/album etc.,cd /lp whatever, and type of music as best you can. Commentary is more than welcome.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Paul McCartney and Wings, "Wings at the Speed of Sound", rock, lp

To my mind the best post-Beatles group by any of them was Wings. Great classic rock with some tunes you will instantly recognize and some you've never heard before. Well worht a spin and well recorded.

So what do you have to share?

DJ Shadow's "Endtroducing" - Rap/Electronica CD

The Weakerthans' "Left and Leaving" - Indie Rock CD

James Taylor's "Hourglass" - Folk/Singer-Songwriter SACD

Staind's "14 Shades of Grey" Modern Rock DVD-A

Mogwai's "Government Commissions" - Post Rock LP

Bright Eyes' "Lifted Or The Story Is In The Soil, Keep Your Ear To The Ground" - Indie Rock LP

AH, there it is, my favorite weekly musical posting site. Thanks for keeping it up Mr. Thebes. Will we have another winner after this weeks posting?

Ya got me into my 'beginning o rock' stage with your McCartney post, so I went to the treasure trove of VINYL shipped from GaryMD himself to this very address.

Inside was a pristine copy of Blood Sweat and Tears, self-titled first album. Probably the 4th copy of this I have owned. I just pick it up whenever I can so there's always a good one around. One of the first 7 albums I got with my Columbia Records initial buy-in about 1971 I think

From the opening fiddlings of "variations on a theme by Eric Satie, into the pop-rock-with horns Smiling PHases, this album also contains God Bless the Child, You've made me so very Happy, More and More, and SPinning Wheel- ALL MAJOR HITS

ALso available for you digital buffs are BS&T Greatest Hits from Columbia CK31170 contains 11 songs but the newer CK65729 has 13 so you get So Long Dixie and More and More (from the above freshman album)

All great pop-rock tunes from a 9 piece ensemble with the incredible Bobby Colomby on drums, David Clayton-Thomas on gruff vocals, guest appearance by Steve Katz (Steely Dan drummer) GET IT, IT ROCKS!!

Michael

Allman Brothes Eat a Peach SACD has I am sure been mentioned on one of these threads, but as a person who was not all that familier with them I can say this is excellent music that everyone can enjoy.

The surround mix is nice as well. Worth a purchase even if you are not a multichannel music fan as this is a hybrid disk and can be played about on anything.

My dad gave me a CD loaded with classical tunes. All I have to say is WOW!!!

I am also borrowing his Bochelli CD collection. I am going to have to get some of these.

The family favorite is "The God Father" soundtrack.

the CD "MOB Hits" some of the best Italian music ever.

----------------

On 2/28/2005 7:02:37 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Inside was a pristine copy of Blood Sweat and Tears, self-titled first album.

----------------

I don't want to throw water on the heat of your memory, but the self-titled album you describe was not their first. it was the second album. First. was "Child is Father to the Man" which most folks never heard of until the pink-covered album got so hot. It's pre-Clayton-Thomas, but still a nice work in itself.

All that aside, I second your endorsement of this album. And recommend another brass-oriented rock band's second album for the early 70's -- Chicago II. The multichannel disk is a great trip down memory lane. Plus my older ears seem to appreciate the horn section more and more.

----------------

On 3/1/2005 1:59:19 PM wangdang wrote:

----------------

On 2/28/2005 7:02:37 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Inside was a pristine copy of Blood Sweat and Tears, self-titled first album.

----------------

I don't want to throw water on the heat of your memory, but the self-titled album you describe was not their first. it was the second album. First. was "Child is Father to the Man" which most folks never heard of until the pink-covered album got so hot. It's pre-Clayton-Thomas, but still a nice work in itself.

All that aside, I second your endorsement of this album. And recommend another brass-oriented rock band's second album for the early 70's -- Chicago II. The multichannel disk is a great trip down memory lane. Plus my older ears seem to appreciate the horn section more and more.

----------------

Al Kooper originally formed the band and was tha vocalist/keyboardist.

You are the first person that ever gave that correct note.

My Recommendation is an oldie but fits a portion of the week.

STEVIE WONDER: SONGS IN THE KEY OF LIFE.

This shows Stevie's diversity, On CD and LP. R7B. It also shows the ability to overcome blindness.

The songs are great. a tribute to others.

What may not be known is the depth of involvement in computer voice recognition and command Stevie has been involved in.

It truly shows that a disability can turn into an ability and the helping of others.

dodger

Sorry bout the mistaken BS&T history. It was my first recollection of the band, first with David Clayton-Thomas (how weird to have a hyphenated name on a guy in the 70's?), and I must have assumed that since it was a self-titled with no II, etc, that it was the first. I try to be correct in my postings. Sorry.

Chicago was the classic band of this genre, but how bout another horn-based pop band, CHASE? Never owned a copy of anything- anybody got anything? How bout IndyKlipschFan?

Michael

----------------

RE: BS&T:

----------------

One of the joys of being an old horse's patoot like me is correcting you young whippersnappers ;-). Feel free to return the favor -- I am sure I'll give you plenty of chances.

My favorite BS&T story was their name's use as an answer on The Newleywed Game by 4 women to describe their honeymoons (no kidding!).

I don't know Chase, but you reminded me of one of my favorite party records -- Bump City by Tower of Power -- originally recorded in 1972 -- Oakland's primo funk/rock /show band from the late pschedlic era. The cuts on Bump City still get folks dancing, especially "Funkifize" when the sax player goes for the high note during the chord change and he's got that horn going so high it sounds like a trumpeter. WooW!

More BS&T on The Newleywed Game:

The editors dealt with the disgust by bleeping the frst word of the band's name when the women said it. When the men came out to answer, the answer cards said "The Sweat & Tears Group". Needless to say, it was a bring-the-house-down moment. Ahh the memories of youth, mis-spent in front of a TV that you could change channels by actually turning a knob! (Sorry, didn't mean to get so far off topic)

angelofretributioncover240.jpg

Judas Priest - Angel Of Retribution CD/DVD Metal!

This disc is the first release since Rob Halford re-united with the band. I would recommend it to any fans of Judas Priest. Some have said it's the best thing since "Defenders Of The Faith", but I wouldn't say that, it's hard to top Defenders & "Screaming For Vengeance"... I would say this disc is a cross between "Ram It Down" & "Painkiller". Rob used alot of refrences to earlier albums in many of the songs. There are also a couple of slower tunes "Worth fighting for" and maybe you could say a few ballads? as in "Angel" & "Eulogy". All in all I say it's a solid release. As was stated on the DVD side, "Black Sabbath is heavy, Judas Priest is metal"

ANGEL OF RETRIBUTION will be issued in two configurations: the first is a dual-disc set featuring the full album and an action-packed DVD. The 30-minute disc amplifies the album with behind-the-scenes documentary footage and classic live tracks filmed on June 24th and 25th, 2004 in Barcelona and Valencia, Spain. The concert material was shot during the two Spanish shows. ANGEL OF RETRIBUTION will also be released as a limited edition double-disc set featuring the new tracks and a long-form DVD bundled in special hardcover packaging. The total running time of the DVD is 1 hour, 12 minutes, highlighting the seven live cuts and 40 minutes of documentary footage

Okay, I am coming out of the closet and admitting that I am an America fan.

They say acceptance is key to getting better.

I've seen these guys more times that I can remember and I always go back for more.

They came after CSN and sounded so much like them that many today mistake their music for CSN.

Same time zone, slightly different styles, but really really great folk-rock.

f26191crhvi.jpg

This is their very best album, although they have been cranking them out ever since. This one still holds up, like so many others of that era as a try masterpiece.

Horse with No Name is the one everyone recognizes, but my favorite is The Pigeon Song.

Like the aformentioned BS&T "pick it up everytime I see it" technique I also do that for this album.

Gorgeous guitar, melodies and harmonies.

"linvin' on the river side, takin' life like a big long ride!"

"you stay on your side and I'll stay on mine"

I grew up in Alabama, so the Allman Brothers were inescapable on the radio. Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff. But, I've heard their classic stuff SO many times that the magic's gone--especially Fillmore Live.

My music tastes have changed alot, but I've always loved the blues. I recently got the Allman's "Live at the Atlanta International Pop Festival", and its great. Recorded nine months before Fillmore, its rawer and the songs aren't as polished. But thats why its so good--

The sound is stellar--amazing coming from a outdoor festival 35 years ago. Those guitars fill up the speakers--

Old fans of ABB will want this--highly recommended--2CDs

• Moderators

Riding with the king ,BB King & Eric Clapton dvd a. Some very old some not so old , this is the best sounding dvd a or sacd i own. Another favorite i keep going back to is James Taylor October road sacd and his dvd concert Pull Over. The dvd concert Pull Over sounds very good and was under 15 dollars,makes you wonder why some are so much more.