TRIPATH DIGITAL

aviserated

I know its hard to believe...I still wonder each day...

But the Tripath amps are a true revolution in sound quality! Buy a cheap digital Panasonic digital receiver (saxr10, 25, 50, 70) and you will get sound that rivals multi-thousand seperates. No kidding here, as an audiophile for more than 25 years I stand by my assessment...

My encouragement to you is to buy a digital amp and enjoy your system like never before!!

This is a quote from wineau(A) at audioasylum.com concerning digital amps. Anyone have any experience with these Panasonic amps.

----------------

On 2/28/2005 8:53:54 PM aviserated wrote:

I know its hard to believe...I still wonder each day...

But the Tripath amps are a true revolution in sound quality! Buy a cheap digital Panasonic digital receiver (saxr10, 25, 50, 70) and you will get sound that rivals multi-thousand seperates. No kidding here, as an audiophile for more than 25 years I stand by my assessment...

My encouragement to you is to buy a digital amp and enjoy your system like never before!!

This is a quote from wineau(A) at audioasylum.com concerning digital amps. Anyone have any experience with these Panasonic amps.
----------------

I have a Panasonic telephone, it is lacking in bass.

i use a carver professional ZR1000 digital amp based on a tripath chip.....

it is a great sounding amp..... i would not say it sounds like a tube amp.... but it does have the smoothest top end of any solid state amp that i've ever had in my system and one of the best amps that i have ever heard....

leok on this forum has done some work with some low power (8 watt) tripath amps that he built himself with great results...

i friend of mine bought a panasonic XR-25 receiver for his bedroom system and he ended up putting it in his living room replacing his denon 3802 receiver...

give them a try.... they do sound very good!

1.gif

A good friend had reported to me his remarkable experience with the Tripath system.

It was a situation where someone with lots of experience with tubes and horns came across the TEAK version and, without any preconceptions was very impressed.

Any of you can find your way to the tripath website with a search engine. Contrary to my read of the name, it does not have three paths, rather, it is the name of the inventor.

It seems to me that some of the technology is a variation on "one bit" conversion. Such is used in our CD players and gives good results there.

I might buy one.

Gil

I gave into my audio-is-not-a-hobby-anymore-so-stop-spending-money-on-it! crusade and bought a tripath Teac AL700P. From here.

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3668124

it was $109 shipped (i ordered it over the phone, got shipping cut in half for UPS ground :)

I swear guys, this is the last peice of equipment i'll buy for a long time. But so many people from very respectable backgrounds are saying these amps are the best of Tube and SS, I just can't pass something like that up. It's not every day that a revolution swings by the audio hi-fi world.

From reading thousands of posts on tubes and SS gear, it seems like what most people love about their tubes is they alter the sound of the source. So if they have a mediocre source or a not-so-well recorded album then it'll make it much more pleasing to listen to, like expand the soundstage, smooth out the high's in a natural way.

Also, from what I gather, since the 70's it used to just be Tube vs SS and since SS has never been the best when doing mids/highs that tubes were loved and embraced by horn-owners.

Even if you have a great source, a great DAC or TT, you had to still rely on tube's "effects" to alter the sound in a pleasing (but musical) manner because SS amps just couldnt do it right.

It seems like the digital amp revolution was kicked off in mid '04 and is starting to gain ground _very_ fast because

A) it doesnt alter the sound like tubes - so audio purists love it, yet it doesnt sound sterile, and definately has warmth, but doesnt gush it like tubes can.

B) it's not grainy, harsh, edgy like some (most) SS amps and it controls all aspects of the soundrange with full control plus having a very clear and present soundstage.

So it basically is the best of both worlds bringing it's own with it, like weighing a half a pound, taking up the space of a mouse (with the Sonic Impact) and it brings in new challenges like keeping the power super clean and exciting things like modding -- replacing the DC blocking capacitors and such.

I cant wait until I get my amp on the 4th of march. I talk about some of this stuff like I know it, I guess I read too many posts of peoples opinions on x,y, and z products and have formed my own presumptions of their sounds.

----------------

On 2/28/2005 11:48:20 PM Erukian wrote:

....I cant wait until I get my amp on the 4th of march. I talk about some of this stuff like I know it, I guess I read too many posts of peoples opinions on x,y, and z products and have formed my own presumptions of their sounds.

----------------

so....

you post all these great comments about this wonderful amp that "this is the last peice of equipment i'll buy for a long time"... and you haven't even received it yet?

hey... i'm a tripath / digital amp fan.... i own a carver pro ZR digital amp.....

but at least listen to it before you post that type of comment....

who knows - you might hate it and all that internet reading will have been a waste of time... (most likely not - jk)

I've heard the Teac on three systems; one with highly modded Heresys (HIGHLY, to the extent of using a JBL woofer), Khorns so highly modded as to no longer be Khorns (TAD 2001 on Altec horn, Beyma tweeter) and with my own Altecs.

In all cases the results are very, VERY good.

I've also heard several DIY gain-clones and SIs on various horn systems (JBLs, Altecs, Lowthers, Edgar Titans, Heresys and Oris Horns) and working very well.

This is just how things are going to be done now. One might as well get with it. This tube thing is rapidly becoming a quaint curiosity.

When I get the cash, I'm gonna try the TEAC on a pair of Polk Audio LSi9.

How long do you guys think it will be before the so called "Audiophile quality" tripath digital amps (made by elves, of course) come out costing thousands of dollars?2.gif

Maurice

----------------

On 3/1/2005 1:03:57 AM organ wrote:

How long do you guys think it will be before the so called "Audiophile quality" tripath digital amps (made by elves, of course) come out costing thousands of dollars?
2.gif

Maurice

----------------

already here

http://www.belcantodesign.com/prod_evo2.html

awesome sound.... well over $2000 for two channels!!

----------------

On 3/1/2005 1:11:12 AM minn_male42 wrote:

----------------

On 3/1/2005 1:03:57 AM organ wrote:

How long do you guys think it will be before the so called "Audiophile quality" tripath digital amps (made by elves, of course) come out costing thousands of dollars?
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif">

Maurice

----------------

already here

awesome sound.... well over $2000 for two channels!!

----------------

WOW6.gif That's a sweet looking amp. Looks like the amps of the future have a slim and sexy design. I still like the beefy looking ones. Can't wait to see more digital amps. Thanks for the link!

Maurice

• Like 1

----------------

On 3/1/2005 12:30:56 AM minn_male42 wrote:

so....

you post all these great comments about this wonderful amp that
"this is the last peice of equipment i'll buy for a long time"
and you haven't even received it yet?

hey... i'm a tripath / digital amp fan.... i own a carver pro ZR digital amp.....

but at least listen to it before you post that type of comment....

who knows - you might hate it and all that internet reading will have been a waste of time... (most likely not - jk)

----------------

No, i have spent about 4 hours listening to music and watching half of a LOTR movie on my Friends Sonic Impact t-amp on his Totem loudspeakers two days ago. While the totems have a way different sonic signature, the clarity of the SI was really really nice. The mids seemed a bit heavy though but that's not always a bad thing and the bass was a but weak. One thing I noticed on the SI is when we did test tones, from the hsuresearch.com mp3 subwoofer testing collection soundtrack thing, the 80-10hz warble tones were _weak_. I mean the further it went down the weaker the sound got, it was really pathetic. The amp completely beat his denon in every aspect except the 80-10hz test.

The reason I didn't mention it before was because I didn't think i'd provoke a response like yours. That and I've never heard a really really high end SS or high end tube. So I can't compare, but i can reflect the majority of the opinions that i've read about people who own a tripath + great SS or great tubes.

So taking that experience plus reading a ton of online reviews of the SI and even more comparisons between the SI and the Teac, I think I made a pretty well informed decision of what I bought.

Great audio is great audio when audiophiles line up behind a super cheap product saying "this beat my tubes" or "this beat my expensive SS amp". Either way, if I dont like it then JR.com has a 30-day full refund if I can keep everything mint. It's more of a trial peice of equipment, like a "90% sure" i'll find it worth the money, but in the case I dont like it, i'm not screwed.

So my decision isnt as flawed as you think :)

"...it seems like what most people love about their tubes is they alter the sound of the source."

The sound is "altered" as soon as it hits the first microphone in the studio. It's then "altered" at every step in the recording chain. Sources alter the sound too, since they all sound different -- and who the hell knows which is "right" or "neutral"? So, that point is mute. Secondly, soundly designed tube amps don't alter the source any more than any other amplifier type. Now, what people "love" about their tube amps is that they sound harmonically correct, and produce a soundstage that has dimensionality. Hey, you said it yourself -- "...expand the soundstage and smooth out the highs in a natural way."

"So if they have a mediocre source or a not-so-well recorded album then it'll make it much more pleasing to listen to..."

A mediocre source gives mediocre results regardless of the amplifier type. You are right again however - tube amps are "much more pleasing to listen to..."

"This is just how things are going to be done now."

Sure. It obviously sounds very good and it's inexpensive to boot. It's the perfect solution for companies that cater to the mass market, and it's great that there is finally something available to them that actually sounds good.

"One might as well get with it. This tube thing is rapidly becoming a quaint curiosity."

People have been saying that for 50 years, so don't hold your breath. A Volkswagon Jetta provides a very nice quick ride across town, but it shouldn't be confused with a Hemi Under Glass.

For some reason, Target shipped me a Sonic Impact amp that I cancelled, so now I have TWO, the second one still being new-in-box.

I'd be happy to ship it to anybody on this board for $25, shipping paid by me.

One sweet little amp. I think I like it even more than the Teac, which is saying a lot.

Music Hall MMF-7 Turntable w/ Goldring Eroica H MC

Njoe Tjoeb 4000 CDP with 24 bit/192 KHz Upsampling

Wright Sound WPP-100C Phono Stage

JF Lessard Pantheon 6SN7 SRPP Preamp w/ RCA 5R4GY & Sylvania 6SN7

JF Lessard Horus Parafeed Cobalt 2A3 SET Monoblocks w/ Tung Sol 5687 & AVVT 2A3

1976 KCBR Klipschorns with ALK Crossovers

Gear Online: Two Channel & Home Theater Systems