TRIPATH DIGITAL

aviserated

No denying that but then the bel canto and Carver amps don't cost $29 now do they ? I can just about bet all those parts inside the bel canto or Carver don't add up to $150 some nice profit in those beasts. I'm really surprised they don't have some lead in there to add some weight to the presentation LOL !!!!!!!!! Most of my comments here are in reference to people trying to portray these $20 boxes as being some revolation in sound qualtiy. Bang for the buck maybe so but..............

+++++++++++++++++

Just like the $ 120 DVD player that will provide jitter free musical realism.

Mass market implementiation of a reasonable concept rarely impresses me.

Probably due to the constipation.

----------------

On 3/1/2005 3:12:48 PM NOSValves wrote:

I have to ask Guy what does he charge for all these trick mods ?

----------------

Craig,

I really liked the unmodded TEAC and was very curious of what can be achieved with some further mods.

It wasn't that cheap and I could have bought 2 or more TEAC amps for the price of the mod. The purpose for me was to experiment with something new and this learning experience can sometimes be expensive.

I'm glad that that the extra expense was justified by the performance increase of the modded unit. I think that this level of performance at the total cost invested (less than $375 with the amp purchase) would be very hard to beat.

I've been using it in my system for more than a week now and enjoy every minute of it.

No, It doesn't compare with the best tube amps but it doesn't fall much short either. It does everything nicely, doesn't get warm, can be left on all they long and always sounds nice.

I plan to take a break from expensive tube amps for a while and keep the Luxman amp and the Teac as my main amps for now.

Somebody mentioned wireless, multi-amp speakers? They're already here for the studio market. Saw an ad last night in a magazine. I dunno if they were digital, though.

Does anyone know if these chip amps tend to have digital inputs?

Thanks Guy,

wow, that says alot about the worth of the mods relative to the cost of the unit. I'm curious as heck.

O.K. now that I've been over to the site, he's the Clari-T-Amp guy. The modded Teac looks like a bargain compared to the Clari-T-amp. I'd wonder if there is anything in particular about the Clari-

T-amp that would give is an edge over the Teac.

----------------

On 3/1/2005 4:43:08 PM SHUFF wrote:

Just a reminder,

Always keep a fire extinguisher handy when using Bob Carver's stuff.
2.gif

----------------

that was two companies ago.... the "flame linears"

his carver consumer brand and sunfire brands never had that problem....

AND carver professional has no connection whatsoever with Bob Carver - he sold the brand to Phoenix Gold Corp in 1998 (i think it was that year)

1.gif

Oh fer crap's sake...take it back, Tom. What model was it? Come tomy house...the new Abbys are all set up, broken in, and ready to be listened to. You can poke fun at them and then leave with my 302b at a good price. Whaddyasay?

Check your messages...I'm sending my number.

Ok I know I'm dipping my toe in here amongst the big boys and you guys know a lot more about this stuff than me. But isn't the tripath basically a jumped up Class D? If so, Klipsch new Promedia Ultra employs a class D amp in this computer/ipod speaker version. So for Klipsch is tomorrow re tripath already here?

Well I'm at it I second Daddy's comments regarding Eurekian. Joe, I'm glad you posted this, it's very much in line with several threads about these new amps that have been posted here lately. You may have drawn a bit of a line in the sand in but enthusiasm over tripath, but you/ve certainlty invoked an interesting debate, not as a flame o0r troll but out of an honest expression of feeling. Good for you. That's part of what I think this place is all about.

----------------

On 3/1/2005 8:15:33 PM thebes wrote:

Ok I know I'm dipping my toe in here amongst the big boys and you guys know a lot more about this stuff than me. But isn't the tripath basically a jumped up Class D? If so, Klipsch new Promedia Ultra employs a class D amp in this computer/ipod speaker version. So for Klipsch is tomorrow re tripath already here?

Well I'm at it I second Daddy's comments regarding Eurekian. Joe, I'm glad you posted this, it's very much in line with several threads about these new amps that have been posted here lately. You may have drawn a bit of a line in the sand in but enthusiasm over tripath, but you/ve certainlty invoked an interesting debate, not as a flame o0r troll but out of an honest expression of feeling. Good for you. That's part of what I think this place is all about.

----------------

from the tripath website:

"Class-T® digital amplifiers provide the audio fidelity of traditional linear (Class-A/B) amplifiers with more than twice the power efficiency of these devices. This leads to higher levels of integration and smaller packages at the semiconductor level. At the system level, these advantages reduce the size of power supplies and heat sinks and significantly reduce the heat management challenges of today's dense, complex electronic systems. While pulse width modulated (PWM) switching amplifiers (Class-D) can also achieve similar power advantages, none have been able to do so without a significant compromise in audio fidelity. Hence Tripath?s new designation, the Class-T® digital amplifier the new standard in audio performance and power efficiency. For more details on Tripath's Class-T® technology you can download the white paper below."

http://www.tripath.com/downloads/an1.pdf

The underlying technology of Class-T does not use PWM and is not a pure

analog approach (Classes -A and -AB). It combines the benefits of both with a completely

new approach.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Instead of using PWM, Tripath Class-T amplifier processors use proprietary algorithms and

techniques to create the modulation that drives the switching transistors. A Class-T

amplifiers processors learn the characteristics of the output transistors. Then, based on the

analog input signal, they switch the output transistors with exactly the right timing to

eliminate Class-D PWM problems: transistors not being perfect switches, ground bounce,

output transistor mismatches, dead-time distortion and residual energy from the oscillator in

the audio band. The result is a high power efficiency, audiophile-quality audio amplifier a

Class-T amplifier.

If one were to compare the waveform before the output filter of a Class-D PWM amplifier to

a Tripath Class-T amplifier, some significant differences would be evident. The waveform

for a Class-D PWM amplifier would be a pulse-width varying digital signal at the fixed, 100-

200kHz, frequency of the triangle wave generator. The waveform for a Tripath Class-T

amplifier would be a complex digital waveform of varying frequency. A Class-T amplifier

switches the output transistors in a fashion similar to spread spectrum technology, at a

varying rate up to 1.5 MHz and averages 600kHz to 700kHz.

What this difference means, in addition to significantly better audio quality, is that a Tripath

Class-T amplifier can use lower-cost inductors and capacitors for its output filter while

obtaining the same amount of filtering as a Class-D PWM amplifier. A Class-T amplifier

also has lower electromagnetic emissions than a Class-D PWM amplifier broadening its

potential application.

1.gif

Russ,

Is that a self-portrait or did you commission someone for it?6.gif

Eurekan, The TEAC is well worth the hundred dollars. It's not a Lamm but it isn't lame either. I still think that mid-upper hi-fi companies like Musical Fidelity are concerned with this phenoninom. The status symbal guys like Halcro, not so much so. MHO YMMV

Rick