Ultra II Debate over on the AVS Board

SCOOTERDOG

Interesting debate going on over at the SVS forum on the new Ultra II stystem. Come to find out that these are made in China. I was not aware of this. In fact someone mentioned that Klipsch should note this on there website. I am surprised considering the price these puppies bring.

scooter

Who cares where something is built? Ever heard of globalization? The entire world is quickly moving towards a single large global society (I suppose it's technically already that way). The sociologists refer to it as the breaking down of the nation state. So instead of griping and complaining about changes that are happening, why not take advantage of the situation? (btw, not inferring that you are complaining). Just imagine how much more expensive the UltraII lineup would be if american union paid workers were building them...the quality would be the same if not worse and would cost at least triple what it does now. (my apologies to any union workers that actually do work their butt off and don't get paid well.).

I have a feeling this thread will get closed since this is such a heated topic with the people on this board. "Just because one is born in America doesn't mean everything else in one's life needs to come from America." I don't see anyone complaining about foreign companies moving into america...

Regardless of who makes it,if you want to build it in China and sell it cheap I'm all for that.If you want to build it in China and charge like its USA union made,I got a problem w/that.I'm not refering to the above mentioned products,just as a general principle.

First off I agree on everyones input. I really don't care where something is made as long as the quality is there. I understand we live in a world market and many things we touch; buy etc. is the way of our modern lives. I guess its more of the fact that for so long Klipsch was a good old American home grown product.

With that being said then being a good old American company means one must grow and expand. But lets look at it from the stand point of the two P's. Production and Profits. As I said if the quality is there then it does not matter where it is produced. However, if it is cost effective to build off shore, by doing this companies become more profitable or more competitive and in some cases both. The down side to building of shore is the possibility of lost jobs. We know this to be true because we see it everyday. When a product is built off shore is it because the mentality is "Hey if we build it in Asia can we produce it at a level our customers expect and can we make more profits by doing this".

We live in a world where the bottom line must be in the black or we don't survive.

I think Klipsch is a wonderful company and have produced outstanding products for almost 60 years, that alone is testament in its self. Klipsch controls over 17% of the US speaker market and continues to grow. I just need to realize they aren't the same company they were 30 years ago. Keep in mind this is not a bad thing. I just miss the mystique we once enjoyed.

scooter

Yes, globalization is a fact. While I like Fish's sentiments, I also know that I have never been disappointed with HP products, which are usually made in Thailand. Designed and conceived by US engineers, but built somewhere else. I have a unique perspective being a union member as well as an MBA in finance. Also remember the Chinese culture was far more "civilized" than western europe for centuries.

That being said, we are undergoing a transition period in globalization which favors some places over others. Eventually, maybe in our lifetimes, there will be nowhere else to go for capitalists seeking profit at the expense of humanity. Then it will truly be possible for workers of the world to unite and restore balance to the equation. Those of you who recognize the phrase "workers of the world unite" might see some irony and humor in the idea that only through the triumph of capitalism on a world scale will it be possible for labor to actually wield some muscle again.

-------------------------------------------------

"Freedom isn't free, it costs folks like you and me. If you don't put in your buck'o'five who will?"

the chinese can definitely build some quality products. perhaps even better than comparable products built here in the states.

one reason that someone may want to avoid a particular company's chinese product(s) is because many american and european companies shamelessly exploit the cheap labor that's available there.

where is that avsforum thread exactly? is it the regular "where are your speakers" made thread?

in terms of this discussion, i think it is rediculous for klipsch to charge that high a price for components built probbaly in the same factory as my now defunct Promedia 5.1 While I can certainly excuse the promedia line, I cannot concieve of why they would do such a thing to one of their flagship products.... well i can concieve it, i just think its rediculous. That pricetag caters to a very select boutique percent of people who all but assume these kinds of prices entail proper production, in a country that pays fair prices. I do my best to seek out american/1st world built products and pay the premium, becuase I want to support companies that still employ proper, not slave labor. This is very disconcerting and quite rediculous.

----------------

On 3/7/2005 1:55:15 AM Ou8thisSN wrote:

where is that avsforum thread exactly? is it the regular "where are your speakers" made thread?

----------------

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=452404&perpage=20&highlight=ultra&pagenumber=3

About a third of a way down the page.

So how does one explain all the foreign companies coming to America to produce goods? And I'm not talking about Slinkys or GI Joe's, but BMW's, M-B's, and the like. There's one company I know very well that's based in the UK and they are transferring a good portion of their heavy machinery production to the US because not only is it cheaper to build here, but the quality is as good or better than factories they have in the UK and other parts of the world.

So what do these companies know that US based companies don't?

(BTW, I know the answer to this question)

Tom