Members Weekly Music Recommendations-March 7

thebes

Well some people are lucky and some people are really, really lucky. Congratulations to GaryMD. Not only do you have free Khorns, you are now the proud owner of a Klipsch T-shirt.

However, maybe he's not as lucky as it seems. Gary along with several other fine folks has been sharing with us since this thread started. The more you share, the better your chances of winning.

Format's simple, name of aritist/group, name of album, typo of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

Edith Piaf, "I Regret Nothing" bistro/jazz, lp.

One of the true great voices of the last century, the songs on this album were recorded from 1955 to 1962 at the Olympia Music Hall in Paris. For decades, in a very real sense, she was the voice of France to the rest of the world. Although the recording quality on many of her works is only so so, much of it from the mono era, and many of her works were popoular tunes and showtunes, her romantic ballads can still send a shiver up your spine and leave you dreaming of Paris in the Springtime.

So what do you have to share?

I know most of you will not like this. Being from Texas its almost an obligation to like Country music.

George Strait, 50 Number Ones, Country, CD

I have seen him in concert several time, very good preformer, from what I understand he is a really good down to earth person, my sister-in-law has met him several times in San Antonio.

Any way thats my suggestion for this week. I really like a very wide range of music, with the exception of Rap.

Steve

Buddy Guy- DJ Play My Blues, Blues/Rock. A great bluesman with serious song writing abilities, and a growling voice in addition to being maybe one of the most under-rated guitarists ever. He can make the guitar cry with a slow groove or tear it up. Great album.

That's what this place is all about. Country, even rap (ugh) is fine. What we all know is that we have good speakers, which means good music. Can't claim to be a big country fan, but sometimes I like it a lot especially the crossover stuff, like Shelby Lynn.

By the way, in reference to your recent cooking thread in General, the Washington Post Sunday Travel Section just had a big article about Texas barbeque. In case you're interested I'm sure it's avilable online

First off The Salt Lick near Austin has THE best BBQ in the world! Can anyone back me up here? moon you should really track down the cd Peace Orchestra-Peace Orchestra if you like the Animatrix soundtrack. They perform the first track. I'm sure I've mentioned this album as well as all of the works of Kruder & Dorfmeister many times on the board but that album in particular is probably my favorite thing they've ever done.

One thing that I can't believe I HAVEN'T mentioned is my favorite album I bought all last year. Ulrich Schnauss-A Strangely Isolated Place(2003-issued in US in 2004. CD. Domino Recording Company.) nicholtl this has you all over it. You will LOVE this album(and yes it is available as a really nice 2lp set)...trust me. I know you do the "shoegaze" stuff and the electronica and that's EXACTLY what this album fuses. MUCH better than M83(and I really like them as well). Take the best of My Bloody Valentine, Cocteau Twins(minus the vocals) and mix it up with some very "earthy" electronic music like Tangerine Dream or older Air and you're getting close. Check out some snippets on cdnow.

I've been listening to several SACDs from the Living Stereo series. I usually buy an occasional classical disc, but thought that buying this series would be an easy way to have a variety of well-recorded music. It has exceeded my expectations, both in two, & multi-channel modes.

Tonight, I've heard the Boston Pops play Offenbach's "Gaite parisienne". It is a spectacular recording. My dad had many of these albums in the 50's; they certainly pass the test of time. I recommend them highly.

SSH

Well I am going to break froma my normal suggestion of some rock band to Jazz.

Recently I purchased Telarcs SACD Sampler disk #3 which is a multichannel Jazz sampler and it is fantastic. This marks the second Telarc sampler that I have purchased, both of the Jazz genre and I love both disks. I find both to be an excellent value with not only fantastic recording quality but an overall excellent multichannel experiance plus with almost 70 minutes of material it was a no brainer.

One of the other reasons for selecting the Telarc sampler is to hear more of a vaiety of jazz artists. I am not as familier with jazz and have a modest growing library, so these give me some ideas for future purchases.

Second the Peace Orchestra disc....love the band aid on the cover...

This week for me has been about rediscovering Katy Lied by Steely Dan on CD, the SD Remaster.....tracks 5 through 10 are an astonishing run of musicianship and terrific tunes....

Koko Taylor -- Royal Blue

Koko is a freight train of the blues -- full of power, hard to stop, runnning over everything that might get in her path. This is a Woman who uses the blues to mow men down. Her deep, growling, commanding way around the songs leaves no doubt that she is/was one of the greatest blues-club stylists of the late 20th century. This CD is one of her last and the best engineered. Great songs, too, -- like Fuel to Burn, The Man Next Door, Old Woman, Keep Your Booty out of My Bed, and Don't let Me Catch You with Your Drawers Down. Guest musicians include BB King, Kenny Wayne Shepherd, Keb Mo and others.

(Side Note #1: my user name is a tribute to her version of Wang Dang Doodle -- the song that turned me on to the blues)

(Side Note #2: Colterphoto1 -- after last week's thread, I played BS&T for the first time in years -- and for sure the first time since I went all Klipsch. Darn that music is good!)

We just bought a great cd named "Moroccan Spirit". It's put out by Higher Octave Music and Virgin. Recorded over a three year period in Casablanca by various local musicians. Very exotic and rich music. If you like Lorrina McKennitt you'll love this.

I've been listening (a lot) to a synthfreak recommendation from a few weeks back...

Steve Roach: Structures from Silence

CD, minimalist sound sculpture

I employ this disc for meditation and taiji practice. It is truly exceptional sounding.

Another batch of CD's I've been exploring is a collection of world music put together by Putumayo (www.putumayo.com)

These are samplers, very well recorded, exotic selections of artists from around the world. I would recommend them all as a break from the 'same old'.

I'm glad to see these threads getting 'legs'. I've certainly benefitted!

Forrest

The Weakerthans - "Fallow" and "Reconstruction Site" Indie Rock/Post-Punk or more suitably, "emo" genre CD's. Easy listening to beginners, genius lyrics to fans.

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - "Abbatoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus" Goth/Gospel-Rock CD. 2 disc set. Frighteningly good.

Appleseed Cast - "Low Level Owl Volume 1" and "Volume 2" Indie Rock/Emo CD's. Stunning instrumental riffs, poignant lyricism.

3 Doors Down - "Seventeen Days" Alternative Rock CD. Standard catchy pop-rock fare, along with crooning ballads to match. A good, mainstream listen.

Sorry gang, nothing to report this week. Been listening to a variety of LP's sent to me by GaryMD, but no definite conclusions yet. Also hooked up iMac to house system, so I can let my Jazziz CD series run on continuous play.

Okay, maybe that's the recommendation. Jazziz is a monthly Magazine/CD sampler with a mix of jazz music. I've subscribed for a couple of years, so have like 20 misc discs and dumped them all onto the iMac, then sorted using the ***** system as follows:

no *- never want to hear this one again (maybe 5% of total)

* big band, oldies

**Soft jazz (office muzak)

***Melodious with soft vocal (majority of the collection

****Jazz Rock Fusion

*****World beat (Brazilian, Cuban, etc.

Then I made a folder of each so I can listen to a 'radio mix' of the style I like. The Melodious is my sleepy time music, I put it on random, set the receiver for SLEEP in 60 and off to dream land. Even the Klipsch ksb1.1's in my bedroom sound grand at very low volume with a slight bump in the eq at 64 and 16K, dip at 250 and 500 on the iMac jukebox,

Michael

My feelgood fun pick of the week:

565.jpg

During a brief interlude away from Blue Note Lee Morgan cut three LPs for Vee-Jay and this one is probably the best with Clifford Jordan on tenor and the unheralded Eddie Higgins (DAMN! this dude could PLAY!) on piano along with Art Davis on bass and Art Blakey making one of his last appearances as a "sideman" (I'm sure as a favor to Morgan who he loved dearly and who was at this time in the middle of his second of three stints as a "Jazz Messenger"). Hard swinging yet tender-- "Expoobident!" is a must have for all Lee Morgan fans and anyone who likes good music will be glad to have it in their collection.

Still in print as a Japanese CD last time I checked. Original LP can be found and sells for about one-tenth of what one of his early Blue Notes will bring.

Here is an ebay store selling the CD for ten bucks:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=307&item=4033359095&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

Derek Trucks "Live at the Georgia Theatre". Two CDs of varied styles--blues, jazz, Indian, soul, and Southern boogie centered around Derek Trucks guitar. Every cut is strong--both instrumentals and vocals. This is not an egocentric guitar ****-fest. Its tight ensemble playing with Derek Trucks always within the song showing an astounding amount of creative energy -- alot of surprises! This guy busts out of the Southern rock cliche with serious notes and fun grooves. Killer-

Oh yeah -- it rocks!

If you are a fan of folk or even pop music and own a 5.1 ht setup this is a definite must rent. It's Dave Matthews Band - The Central Park Concert. It's a DVD Video mixed in either stereo and dolby digital 5.1 and it's mixed very well. From the I believe it's a violin to the bass guitar to the drums everything is mixed very well.

By the way I only have Sony speakers for my ht setup. I could REALLY, REALLY use some nice khorns. Although I have some Klipsch Promedia 5.1 Ultras.1.gif