Heresy/Forte/LaScala SPEAKER DILEMMA

mark_ivan

Hi,

Looking for some advice on which Klipsch to try.

I listen to a mix of vinyl/CD/FM and have a fairly small listening room (11'X16').

Current components are an Ariston RDIIs TT with an Ortofon OM Super 20, Sansui TU-719 Tuner,Rotel 850 CD, PS Audio 4.5 preamp, B&K ST140 or Dyna ST70 amplification, Spica TC50 with Mirage BSP150i Subwoofer.

Spicas are great for certain music, but not full range, and sub is a constant challenge to keep matched. Voice and minimal instruments sound great, but rock and other fuller/busier music does not come through as well as I would like.

I am interested in trying some horn speakers, based on hearing some Heresys in a store many years ago.

Looking to buy used, and have been thinking about Heresy (I or II)or Forte (I or II again?). Based on my room size and surrounding equipment, any suggestions??

Thanks.

Another vote here for the Forte (I prefer the original; sounds more like Heritage Klipsch than the "2"). The height is just right for a comfortable listening position, you can run them without a subwoofer for most music listening, and they are extremely revealing if you upgrade other components. Fortes would fill out your listening space very well.

Having said all that, I would pounce on a good pair of LaScalas, but my room is a little bigger than yours (17' x 17', and open at two corners into another room and a hallway); and I would most likely end up springing for a killer subwoofer to go with them (SVS PB12-Ultra). This would competely fail to make Mrs. chuckears happy...

Mark,

I agree that the Forte's are hard to beat. I own a pair of Forte II's and they sound amazing with tube amps. My original plan was to sell the Forte's but since hearing them with tubes I have changed my mind. You may want to include the Chorus (I or II's) in your search, they are great R&R speakers as well.

It is really hard to find used Klipsch equipment here in Toronto, so all I can say is good luck.

----------------

On 3/8/2005 8:34:18 AM sputnik wrote:

Here is a link to an eBay sale for a pair of Fotes from several weeks ago. The sale is over but the story is timeless.

----------------

Can't wait till someone finds the gene in women that prevents them from appreciating our audio gear!

7.gif

Hi Mark, and welcome to the Forum.

If you can listen first, you should. I have Fortes and Heresys, and they sound quite different. Like JF, I like the Heresy midrange better. However, if I had to choose between the two and I did not have a sub available, I would take the Forte for its better bass response and the fact that it just sits on the floor -- no stands to knock over.

Another option is the Cornwall -- best of both worlds, IMO.

----------------

On 3/8/2005 9:56:28 PM J.4knee wrote:

I vote for La Scala, much bigger sound than either of your other options

----------------

Do you think his Mirage sub would be able to keep up with the LaScalas? I think he would definitely need a sub, unless he doesn't care about the bottom two octaves of bass being missing. I'm not sure of the specs on his sub, just that it sports 2 8-inch drivers; I would think that LaScalas would require a more prodigous subwoofer (or two).

I would go with the la scalas. There is no doubt you need a sub. If a sub, it has to be high quality. I have two HSU 1220's. Amazing 2 channel stereo sound. Can't beat that mid horn on the la scala.

jc

----------------

On 3/8/2005 10:19:09 PM chuckears wrote:

----------------

On 3/8/2005 9:56:28 PM J.4knee wrote:

I vote for La Scala, much bigger sound than either of your other options

----------------

Do you think his Mirage sub would be able to keep up with the LaScalas? I think he would definitely need a sub, unless he doesn't care about the bottom two octaves of bass being missing. I'm not sure of the specs on his sub, just that it sports 2 8-inch drivers; I would think that LaScalas would require a more prodigous subwoofer (or two).

----------------

Yeah I missed the sub he had good call. That bottom two-octave thing is overstated IMO. La Scalas have a very good ... nay ... great bass but it does roll off at 40'ish hz. For HT yeah a better sub would be needed but for your run of the mill listening I believe the bass produced by them is sufficient. IMO they are clearly superior to the other two options

1.gif Wow, Thanks to everyone for the quick resonse.

Not sure if this thread has died yet, but wanted to add some info.

I am pretty sure I want to lose the Mirage Sub, seems like a pretty lumpy response despite twiddling with the controls and many placement experiments.

Interested in finding an original pair of Fortes, other than Audiogon and Ebay, where are the best sources?

How much of a difference do people make between the Forte and the II?

Is it worth hunting for extra months to find one or the other?

Also, what are the main areas of concern for buying used without being there in person? Replacements, repairs, signs of wear or abuse etc.?

----------------

On 3/9/2005 9:38:01 PM mark_ivan wrote:

1.gif
Wow, Thanks to everyone for the quick resonse.

Not sure if this thread has died yet, but wanted to add some info.

I am pretty sure I want to lose the Mirage Sub, seems like a pretty lumpy response despite twiddling with the controls and many placement experiments.

Interested in finding an original pair of Fortes, other than Audiogon and Ebay, where are the best sources?

How much of a difference do people make between the Forte and the II?

Is it worth hunting for extra months to find one or the other?

Also, what are the main areas of concern for buying used without being there in person? Replacements, repairs, signs of wear or abuse etc.?

----------------

Mark,

I was selling Klipsch when the Forte was replaced with the II. The Forte was my favorite speaker in the store. I remember thinking the original was better than the replacement, but due to old age and stuff, I can't remember exactly what the difference was.15.gif

It would be tough for me to buy either kind without seeing and hearing them first. It's easy enough to get burned in person! Use something like a paper towel roll and listen to each individual driver to be sure they're all working properly. Check the passive radiators on the back to be sure they're in good shape. It won't hurt the sound if the dust covers are pushed in, but it's always a valid reason to ask for a better deal. 9.gif

Good luck!!