What do you suggest for effective home security?

Colin

----------------

On 3/11/2005 6:34:56 PM djk wrote:

"Smith & Wesson Model 29. .44 Magnum and comes with one of the greatest lines ever in a movie: "Go ahead, MAKE MY DAY!" "

Trivia question:

What brand of .44Mag did Dirty Harry carry (hint: it was not a S&W)?

----------------

In one  movie, Harry is about to eat lunch. Bank robbery across the street, I believe.

One of the thieves comes in to the diner and Harry basically when asked who will stop me by a thief, replied -

The three of us, line by thief, Harry replies, Mr. Smith, Mr Wesson and me. He also used a Colt.

-----------------------------------

Home security:

Wireless alarm system. You are the only ones with shut off code plus someone YOU select.

Passive Infra-Red Detectors: They react to body heat, also a pet alley can be created as the lens of most are movable. Also called PIRs.

Purchase more than one PIR mount and aim so that any intrder will have to pass through covered area.

You may get a discount for that type of alarm system - reduntant. Some may want monitored, but since a number of monitoring Companies have their Central Stations in another State, they will first call you (letting thief know, they may just dcide to trash the place,), then they have to use area code and a seven digit number to contact your emergency services. The thief will probably be long gone.

NO movement detector. With some, a falling leaf off a plant will set it off.

Intruder alarms on each door to outside, door from basement to First floor.

Glass Break detectors.

Timed lighting with no variation when home or away. Lighting by all entrances. Lighting on first floor so that IF you are not home and a thief has managed to by pass the above, they may be possibly be seen.

Keep trees, bushes, shrubs away, or low enough, so one cannot hide behind or on ground lower than that level.

Exterior horns, plus I use a Klipsch mid-range driver and horn lens. You may as well damage their hearing.

An addition there are units that when plugged into an outlet allows you to plug a light or lamp into it. After proper setting - not too sensitive - when alarm goes off the SPL will turn light on and cause it to flash on and off. I use numerous, use abright red light visible from the street, so that if your neighbors call in a break-in, the flashing will save time spent looking for an address. BUT please make sure that you have posted visible address numbers that can be seen from the street.

A valid permit for alarm if it is required.

A remote unit for alarm with emergency and panic button modes.

Note clothing and hats, watches of those coming in. Hair and eye color, height, weight (approximate both) if the worst happens describe clothing from top to bottom.

Should the worst happen, state address at beginning of 911 call. Note direction of travel.

Basement window bars, or one or two shelves running across the width of the window. Put glass jars, glasses, metal objects on the shelves so if kicked in, much noise will be made.

Besides electric phones, a hard wired telephone that does not rely on electricity to function. Fully charged cell phones in addition.

No jewelry or other things of value that are small and can be taken easily.

Good neighbors.

Change batteries on sending units each October so they are fresh, even in cold. Test at least twice yearly - notify neighbors prior to test that you will be doing so at a specific time.

Carry the remote with you when working outside. If lost, change code settings.

Use day feature of alarm.

I recommend two locks, one the deadbolt the other a close behind you lock. Use the close behind when working outside of the house. plus a throw barrel on exterior doors.

6 Pin, double cylinder deadbolts if code allows. The throw (barrel) should be a minimum of one inch, prefer 1 1 / 2 inches. With reinforced longer Top to Bottom strike plates. This distributes the strength.

Hang a picture out of the

reach of arms/hands if you have breakable glass as a window in the door or glass parallel to your door. Tie a key to the wire attached to the frame, in a smokey fire, if you drop it, you can feel the frame thus the key.

Have extra house keys made up after you have all locks keyed the same.

On the original new house keys, you will most likely see a numeric code, that corresponds to the depth of the cuts in the key. Once a person has that code, all they will have to do is go to a Locksmith, mention the Brand and give that code. Keys can be cut from that.

6 pin recommendation as they ARE harder to pick. A good quality lock such as Schlage, Medco, Weiser, Sargent, Yale, MasterKey, Quickset brands. There are more.

Do not leave in interior portion of a Double cylinder Deadbolt.

Do not neglect the hinged side. If a potential thief sees excellent multi locks they will try to kick in the hinged side. Take the middle screw on each hinge out and replace with 3 1/2 " or 4 inch screws. Put a light coat of wood glue on the screws (pre-drill the extra length of the holes slightly smaller in width,) the glue aids in turning the screw and will allow for better strength.

Plenty of Exterior lighting.

A nanny cam.

Offer your neighbor the possibility of parking in your Driveway. More cars.

Have the dealer get needed information from person auditioning. Do not take any more info yourself other than name and possible photo from Identification.

Identity theft liability. Have dealer ascertain if more than that one person is coming.

Have them contact the dealer (or you) about 2 - 3 hours prior to appointment.

Use your eyes - you can see how the person is looking around, if possible note, have a family member note brand, model, color, 2 or 4 door and Tag (License) number.

Also have them note anything on the bumper, or windows plus any possible body damage, paint flaking, rust, dents, anything that will allow a responding Officer be able to notice and possibly pursue.

If home alone yell to bedroom area that you will be demoing a system. Let them think there are more than one in house. Have alarm remote with you plus a cell phone or cordless phone on you. Do not lock door until person leaves.

Hide all wiring and run alarm wires through metal conduit, straight or ribbed.

Establish ALL guidelines with dealer and "client" before first person comes for a demo. Put in writing, have Dealer sign and add your signature with a witness.

If you must have a gun, take a safety course, practice firing and be prepared to shoot to kill... The thief will.

A protective dog is better as it becomes two against one. Teach your dog to bark if doorbell rings or some one knocks.

Even if asked do not show off your house.

If "Client" asks to use facilities, wait for a count of 10 then go to a room in the same area as your house.

Most thieves are Oppotunists. They want in within a timeframe of three - four Minutes.

The four D's of Crime Prevention apply:

Delay

Detect

Dney

Deter

Prior to becoming involved, have a Security Survey. Most Law Enforcement Agencies will perform one at no Cost.

dodger

Certified Crime Prevention Speciast

Past Public Relations Chair: International Society of Crime Prevention Practitioner,

Past Public Relations Chair: The Finger lakes Area Crime Prevention Practitioners Association,

Past Board Member: NY State Crime Prevention Coalition, ret.

Editor Crime Prevention Newsletter, NY State Crime Prevention Coalition, ret..

----------------

On 3/11/2005 6:34:56 PM djk wrote:

"Smith & Wesson Model 29. .44 Magnum and comes with one of the greatest lines ever in a movie: "Go ahead, MAKE MY DAY!" "

Trivia question:

What did Dirty Harry carry (hint: it was not a S&W629)?

----------------

How about this one. I have no I idea if it is true.

"The handgun that was actually used for the filming of Dirty Harry was a .41 Magnum, not a .44 Magnum, but the difference is not obvious on the movie screen."

Bob

BEC...you are correct...or so I have heard..."N" Frame S&W...all the same size but S&W had stopped making the .44MAGNUM by this time...the movie made them bring it back because so many now wanted the gun Dirty Harry had...other pistol was a .44 AutoMag...I didn't know about the Colt except for Magnum Force where the bad cops carried Pythons...good to know!

Bill

Yeah, what Dodger said. And said, and said..... LOL!

But, that was good advice. Especially the lock and hinge stuff. I've seen more doors kicked in that I can remember. Dogs are also a great deterrent. Rarely have I investigated a breakin with them inside, but it does happen. Large, territorial dogs roaming around outside are even better, but may be a liability. (Eating the neighbors cats. Or the neighbors...)

Can't over-emphasize the importance of good neighbors and a good neighborhood. One with restricted access is great. Mine has one street in and out. Many thiefs are criminals of opportunity. They may "scout" (case, ride through) an area before and hit later or maybe the first time through.

Your identity is much harder to protect. That's another topic entirely.

Oh, the gun stuff. The firearm is the great equalizer. Have a few and love them. Invested in hardware to protect them from others and mother nature. Dirty Harry had a custom .44 Auto Mag in one movie, forgot the name. Awesome handgun. Had a friend who had one. Quite accurate.

Alarms? They really aggravate law enforcement and will not keep you from being broken in to, but may keep you from getting cleaned out. Crackheads do smash and grabs. Especially purses, electronics, jewelry, etc. Ask your local cop how many REAL alarms calls they get that weren't set off by the home owner.

Extra Credit....What does AMT stand for?

Answer: Arcdia Machine and Tool.

I had an AMT Hardballer Longslide at one time. Ya know, the same one ARNOLD had in Terminator (I). I wanted to soupe it up some for competition but vertually no aftermarket marts would even begin to fit it and there was too much fitting involved to make them work (I hate drop-in parts but geeez).

Sold it and bought a Gold Cup Series 80 and converted it to a Series 70.

A far as subbing calibers go...in Miami Vice has to used .45 cal loads for Don Johnson's Bren Ten because Norma wouldn't come down on the price of the brass (or it was too rare). Somewhere I heard they went to a S&W 645 but I can't confirm that.

Ah, here it is..

http://www.bren-ten.com/id5.html

Pretty funny about Magnum Force. David Soul's character did carry a Colt Python 4" blued. David Hutchison in Starsky and Hutch carried a 6" blued.

Security guys, the question was security, not enforcement, not revenge, not macho dream sequences, security - the prevention of a threat, not the justified destruction of it...

just kidding, I knew I would get these senseless posts: everybody I know owns a gun!

----------------

On 3/12/2005 7:14:40 AM Colin wrote:

Security guys, the question was security, not enforcement, not revenge, not macho dream sequences, security - the prevention of a threat, not the justified destruction of it...

just kidding, I knew I would get these senseless posts: everybody I know owns a gun!

----------------

My long post is Crime Prevention, Loss Prevention in the Civilian Sector.

I did add a few things for overall Security before, during and after the demo.

The Colts were a Custom Run. On one side of the Grip were his three letter initials: D.H.C. - Dirty Harry Callahan.

That Auto Mag will stop just about anothing that can move.

Sorry that my Post was so long, it spilled into other areas.