Do Mcintosh Solid State Amps sound/work good w Klipschorns

GregJD

Hi,

I am looking at buying a Mcintosh MC250 or MC 2105 old solid state amp to use with my klipschorns, 1987 models. Does anyone have experience with this set-up along with any thoughs? I am now using an old H K Citation 19 that sounds pretty good.

Any suggestions?

This is going to sound really dumb....here goes, Does Mac still make amps? If they do, do they still produce Tube gear? If not, then that would explain why there is so high intrest in the vintage gear. If they don't, what happened, they were the popular benchmark in "High end" amps.

I just don't have the time to stay in tuned with all the great knowledge that this forum supplies...wish I did.

They still make tube, ss and ht compatable amps and receivers. The big advantage of the older, vintage equipment is the price compared to the newer equipment. I remember going into the upper rooms at Bay Bloor Audio in Toronto and looking at the McIntosh SS amps and could only drool at the prices, I think $3000 and up, and that was back in the early 80's. My pair of MC-30's were $1600 Cdn and available locally.

Some of the reviews of the newer tube amps are not as favourable as the older equipment, this also will influence the decision making process.

GJD - I've got a MC2125 (120 watts and meters)with mahogany cabinet in excellent condition for $975. Email me if your interested or visit AudioGon and look at the photos with the ad. And yes - vintage Mac SS sounds great with Klipsch and my new Mac tube amp (100 watts) sounds fantastic with my RF7s.

Molotky's Khorn rig uses SS Macs and sounds superb.

Back in the 1960s, 70s and 80s Khorns with SS Mac and Crown were not uncommon, there must be thousands of those setups out there. The thing is, those guys are contentedly listening to music and not posting here like us idiots.

Mcintosh solid state & Klipsch Heritage are like peanut butter & jelly, a match made in heaven. They sound very good together in my opinion. I own 1977 Cornwalls & 1983 Cornwalls. My Mcintosh MC 7150 SS autoformer amp-1991 vintage paired with a Mcintosh

C 38 SS preamp-1999 vintage sound very good to my ears. I used to run all 4 Cornwalls with the Mac amp, Mac preamp & a 31 band 1/3 octave pro gear equalizer. I liked

the surround sound from a 2 channel rig-room 25'-L x 19'-W x 8'-T.

I have since moved to 2 separate SET amp systems with each pair of Cornwalls. As much as I like my Mcintosh gear, the SET systems sound better to my ears. Mcintosh & Klipsch was gear I lusted over as a teenager & in my 20's when I could not afford either. Used Mcintosh-preamp from Audio Consultants in Chicago and the amp from Sound Labs in Palentine, Illinois got me my Mcintosh in 1999. Bought my 1977 birch Cornwalls from a guy in San Antonio. He introduced me to tube gear when I auditioned his Cornwalls. First time I had ever heard tubes was at his casa-house. Liked what I heard and prefer tubes with Klipsch Heritage though

I could easily live with SS Mac gear.

Mac gear sounds very good with a veritable plethora of speakers. I still own & use the Mac amp though it is in the bullpen right now. I own a Lubbock, Texas made Llano Phoenix CAS 300/VA2 mosfet/tube hybrid amp- Class A, 2 gain stages, no negative feedback-uses 6SN7,6SL7 & 12SN7 tubes in the voltage section of the amp. The

Llano amp sounds better to my ears with the Cornwalls or my JBL LX 55's or my Advents. Just doesn't have that purty retro black glass faceplate with the very useful blue meters. I use either the Llano amp or the Mac amp in my third system with the Mac preamp.

The Llano amp is more extended in dynamic range-has much deeper bass response and has more extended highs-treble which are smooth & non strident with either amp. Midrange is smooth with both amps. If you don't want to mess with tubes, Mac gear is a no brainer and will sound great with Klipsch in my opinionated opinion. YMMV and all that. I took my JBL's out-92 db efficient and hooked up my 2nd generation 1980 New Large

Advents-89 db efficient to the Llano amp & Mac preamp. The Llano amp is 300 watts x2 @ 8 ohms & 600 watts X 2 @ 4 ohms. Very different sonics from Cornwalls-a low efficient acoustic suspension speaker. But still good sonics to my ears. Paul Wilbur Klipsch and Henry Kloss-Advent owner/designer were diametrically opposed in

speaker design. But each were a genius in my opinion in their respective speaker designs and the resulting sonics. Just the ramblings from an opinionated Texan.

Regards, Mike

A dissenting viewpoint - vintage Mac solid state gear does sound great with Klipsch heritage. I think the Mc 2505 and Mc 2125 are among the best looking amps ever made.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the HK sounds better - or at least would be a "wheel spin."

I too run a 2100 and 2105 between my Cornwalls, LaScalas, and Heresys. I've been known to get the meters moving a little on the 2105 (I think my neighbors hate me), but 100 watts is more than my ears could ever handle.

Just a side note: I think the 2105 and 2100 are a little noisey at idle. I try to run more gain from my preamp than from the amp to minimize this, but the horns will bring out the noise more on the amp than other speaks I've run on them. Anyone else agree or disagree?

Jeff

Ditto! I agree SS Macs (new or vintage) sound absolutely fantastic with horn-loaded Klipsch loudspeakers. I owned an early '90s MC7200, borrowed my brother's classic MC2100, and simply cherished ownership of my classic MC250 with my '79 Cornwalls. If I hadn't gone the SET route with my latest 300B power amp, I'd still have my favorite MC250, connected directly to my CD player, using the Mac's gain controls soley as volume and balance to my Cornwalls. To my ears (and to quite a few Klipschers here), a SS McIntosh is the closest thing to the warm tube sound without the valves!

P2141390_a2.jpg

post-11084-13819263637492_thumb.jpg