Displaced Pole Piece in K-77M. What now?

BEC

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

----------------

On 3/24/2005 3:39:20 AM DrWho wrote:

----------------

On 3/23/2005 10:53:30 PM BEC wrote:

Extra credit question: Why would that be important?

----------------

Gotta keep the magnetic field going the right way to keep the tweeter in phase. Do I get a cookie now?
2.gif

----------------

A winner!! You are awarded one virtual cookie. Turning the magnet over is the same thing as reversing the leads to the tweeter.

Bob

----------------

On 3/24/2005 8:33:13 AM Frzninvt wrote:

I would say that it is a polarity issue if the magnet is not oriented the way it was originally.

----------------

Just to elaborate on this a bit more. I have found a few of these things backward from the factory. The EV spec states that a positive voltage applied to the positive terminal of the tweeter should result in outward deflection of the diaphragm. Install the magnet backwards and the opposite will occur.

Bob Crites.

• 2 months later...

----------------

On 3/23/2005 10:47:54 PM BEC wrote:

... In the older alnico magnet tweeters, the top round plate had a welded ring on the back of it that the pole piece fit tightly through to center it...

----------------

Bob,

Great post! Are the alnico versions susceptible to the same problem? If so are they reparable?

• 1 month later...

"A weld would have to break for the alnico tweets to have this problem. I have never seen it in other than the K-77M or EV-T-35A (ceramic magnet) tweeters."

I've only seen it one or twice over a 10+ year period, it's mainly a K77M issue. If I had an alnico one with a magnet problem I would pick up a spare.

I had this problem with both tweeters in my first Cornwalls. A Brown Soun charged me an arm and a leg to fix 'em, too. Like, $250. Now I see what a PITA it is. Thanks for the great post, Bob!

----------------

On 7/19/2005 8:39:06 AM fini wrote:

I had this problem with both tweeters in my first Cornwalls. A Brown Soun charged me an arm and a leg to fix 'em, too. Like, $250. Now I see what a PITA it is. Thanks for the great post, Bob!

----------------

Guess I need to raise my prices, I have been doing that way too cheap.

Bob

----------------

On 7/19/2005 1:05:02 PM DeanG wrote:

If a tweeter does not have a factory mark -- is there a way to tell + from -

----------------

Yes, with some difficulty. You would need to know both how the magnet is oriented and how the diaphragm is installed. You can check that the magnets are oriented the same between two tweeters (K-77Ms anyway) by holding them back to back. The magnets should repell if they are oriented the same. To detemmine proper phase on one tweeter, you would have to remove the diaphragm and place it back in the magnet gap just bare without its housing. A voltage (about 1 volt) applied to the two leads correctly (+ to + and - to -) should cause the voice coil to pop out of the magnet gap. That would then comply with the EV spec that says " A positive voltage applied to the positive terminal shall cause outward deflection of the diaphragm."

Bob Crites

----------------

On 7/19/2005 8:51:26 AM BEC wrote:

----------------

On 7/19/2005 8:39:06 AM fini wrote:

----------------

Guess I need to raise my prices, I have been doing that way too cheap.

Bob

----------------

Well, I have to tell you, I was not happy about the price, since I could buy functioning tweeters on eBay for less. They did not inform me of the cost before repairing them...

Bob, O.K., that's a start. You see, there's this company called B&K Sound, and their factory mark is coloring the positve solder tab. This other company, Crossoverupgrades -- likes to wipe down solder lugs and tabs with alcohol before they solder. I cleaned the tabs on one of the tweeters and sat it down. When I did the tabs on the other one, I was actually looking down on it while I was doing it -- and saw the coloring come off the tab. I put a scratch on it with a small screwdriver, sat it down, and then pick up the other one. Sure enough -- no red on the tab. Sooo...

----------------

On 7/20/2005 9:55:23 AM DeanG wrote:

Bob, O.K., that's a start. You see, there's this company called B&K Sound, and their factory mark is coloring the positve solder tab. This other company, Crossoverupgrades -- likes to wipe down solder lugs and tabs with alcohol before they solder. I cleaned the tabs on one of the tweeters and sat it down. When I did the tabs on the other one, I was actually looking down on it while I was doing it -- and saw the coloring come off the tab. I put a scratch on it with a small screwdriver, sat it down, and then pick up the other one. Sure enough -- no red on the tab. Sooo...

----------------

Now I see the problem. The company Crossoverupgrades is incorrectly soldering on a slip on lug and since this lug is attached to plastic that melts very easily, B&K Sound would certainly like to discourage anyone from soldering on it. Soldering wires on those was never a good idea and is a really bad idea now that the plastic housings are no longer in production.

Bob