The New World Economy

Not trying to incite any wars here, but I found this interesting.

Working on a truck this morning, had a sticker on the engine control computer with BOSCH (a German company) on the part number label. On the bottom of the label was stamped MADE IN MEXICO. Underneath that, on the module itself, was a sticker with application information. It was labeled ISUZU.

Type of vehicle?

2002 Chevy 3/4 ton pick up, Duramax Diesel. Made in the good ole' USA.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could not agree more. The economy has changed forever. The good old days are gone. I think the internet ( worldwide communications ) has made everyone an expert an much more informed and has been the biggest player in the change. I am in packaging sales and many bids are now ebids with nothing but price as the issue. I do feel that even though this seems to be the way things are going that most products do not sell themselves and when there is a problem where does one go then? Mexico??

The only thing I truly worry about is how are my 3 children going to get by in the future? Do you ever think we will see gas at less than 2.00 again. I don't.15.gif

Speaking of gas, Google for "peak oil". I don't think I quite buy into the doom and gloom fully, but....

I think the Global Economy is the least of my children's problems. In the next 50 years World Population and Renewable Energy will become the only issues that matter. Just MHO

When I first got my 03' Acura TL-S I was poking around the engine bay and found a couple parts labled "Tyco". I didn't mind it because it works perfectly but I thought it was interesting.

Th only thing foriegn made in that car is the transmission and that's had the most problems a couple of model years before (although mine's been fine).

My girlfriend had a Saab 900S (P.O.S.- big time!) and a lot of the parts were stamped with the symbols for Audi, Saab and Volvo. The A/C compressor was labled "Seiko".3.gif Oh, and a Bosch ECU.

Note to self- Don't ever buy a 1980's Saab with a automatic transmission.

As I see it over the next 20 -30 years the american way of living is going to go down hill. The more money that goes off shore the better the lifestyle others will have. Once the 3rd world contries start meeting their basic needs ( food, shelter etc. )and realize that $5 a day is just not going to cut it anymore then they will to also turn to the so called "wants". Once they start buying wants the money will start to swing back our way. Let's face it we have been spoiled over the years. In the long run it will balance out.

We just can not compete with others that are willing to work for pennies. Do you remember when -made in China- meant JUNK? Now is there anything that is not produced there? Nowdays, their quality is up to par if not better.

----------------

On 3/25/2005 1:41:03 PM damonrpayne wrote:

Speaking of gas, Google for "peak oil". I don't think I quite buy into the doom and gloom fully, but....

I think the Global Economy is the least of my children's problems. In the next 50 years World Population and Renewable Energy will become the only issues that matter. Just MHO

----------------

Betraying his big oil roots (and alliances), the President labors under the absurd and false notion that America can "drill its way" out of the current energy crisis. Conservation and alternative energy will be the ONLY way to avoid an eventual catastrophe. We've seen signs in the past few months that the world's oil consumption is at, or near, current production limits. What will happen when demand exceeds supply? All it will take is a supply disruption of some sort to find out.

"Do you remember when -made in China- meant JUNK?"

The real qustion is : Do you remember when "Made In Japan" meant junk? Sadly I'm old enough. Or maybe it's gladly?2.gif

There was no such thing as The Consumer Products Safty Commission when I was a kid. I remember more than once cutting myself on a colorful metal toy car. Many of them had American beer labels still on the cans on the inside.6.gif

The first Hondas arrived in the US in about '72. They were billed as "throw away cars" they were so cheap. Yugos were better and didn't rust as badly as those first Hondas.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Edit: I have nothing against modern Hondas and am very impressed with the life story of Mr Honda.

Zapper---I remember Honda cars in the late 1960s; little things with air-cooled vertical twin motors of about 500-600cc, just like bike motors.

My new CTS got over 25mpg average on a trip we just took down to Florida, that's with a 217 ci motor with 255 hp. I was running 75-80 mph on the interstates and did some tearing around on back roads in Kentucky and Tennessee.

The Crown Vic Sport I traded-in would have done good to get 20mpg. And the little Caddy is a much better car; tighter, better handling and much quicker. And Linda says we don't look like old farts anymore, even though we are.

Tom, you're not old. My 92 year old grandfather is old. I'll offer up a direct quote straight from his mouth to a 70 year old retiree, "You're not old, heck, you're just a spring chicken. When I was your age I had three jobs!" This comes from a man that rarely took a day off until he was 80. And he still works five days a week. In fact he commutes from Corona del Mar to Burbank every day which is about 130 miles round trip. I hope I got most of his genes. In fact I'll be glad to have a third of his energy at 70. If I make it that far. 9.gif

I read in a recent article that at current fuel consumption rates that the world oil supply will last for 40 more years. I think they forgot the term FOSSIL FUEL as in dinosaurs once dead and gone do not come back. There are many other ways to make fuel things like grain, corn etc. could be used but some oil tycoons would be out of some money.

Here is a true story. My grandmother who died recently and my grandfather were friends with a very smart man who was sort of an inventor. He designed a machine that could pull static electricity out of the air. He then used this power to run his household. Westinghouse bought the design off of him back in the day and placed it on the self. Crazy huh?

Years ago there used to be a show in the early 80's called "Thats Incredible" I think the little boy Pete Billingsley hosted it. I still remember there was a guy who designed a car that ran on McDonalds French fry grease.

3.gif

----------------

On 3/26/2005 9:08:29 AM Dylanl wrote:

I There are many other ways to make fuel things like grain, corn etc. could be used but some oil tycoons would be out of some money.

3.gif

----------------

I wonder how high the price of oil would have to go before ethanol and bio-diesel would make economic sense? Producing canola and corn is one area where North Americans kick ***.

Aliens have sat down with the government of the USA and said you must redistribute the wealth. Hence, WTO, global economy, ETC. The middle class and the Unions have to be destroyed. It's working rather well. If you like this explanation I have another:

In the early 70's someone was telling me that there is an organization based in Switzerland that want's to eliminate the middle class to protect there riches. I told him he was nuts. Looking back, I'm the one that was nuts. The same fellow also told me about the theory of strings---the vibratory structure of matter and energy. I thought that was pretty kool. And this was in the early 70's. This guy I was talking too must have been a genius or prophet of the future. I wish he had said something about which stock to invest in.

JJK