NEW Khorns 1962? PICTURE

joetubeman

As I posted last night in another thread, I just got my first pair of Khorns. I believe that they are 62's. They are pretty ugly and will need lots of work. My plan is to dress them up with veneer. I have a few questions that I hope you experts can answer for me. Are they indeed 62's? Serial numbers are 1732 and 1733. They look like they have extra, non stock cabinet material added.The wood is chip board and the overall quality is not the same as the rest of the cabinet. Can someone confirm this? I have a series of pictures that I will post with many different shots.

Thanks for your help.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Joe you have to use the attach file feature so that we can view the photo. If there are no Alpha characters in the S/N it is likely that they are older than 1962. 1962 was the first year Klipsch started using the Alpha characters in the S/N's to indicate year of manufacture so they should have an "A" in the S/N if they are from 1962 if they don't then they are older.

Here is a front shot. I'm pretty sure that the top and the added back pieces are not original. I guess that these started life as the utility cabinets. Unless I hear otherwise, I'm going to rip the extra pieces off. I'm now just noticing that one of the woofers is not working properly. I get some output but is sputters. If I crank the volume I get more sound but I also hear a buzzing from the driver. It's not totally fried, anyway to repair this? Looks like it will be a tough job to secure a new driver in. Aside from this they sound great!!!!

No disrespect taken. I know that I have a lot of work ahead of me. In a perverse way I really like these types of projects. The main thing will be removing the 4000!!!!!!!!!! staples that were used to attach the cloth. I'm one of those types who wants to get to the veneering ASAP. This woofer problem is the type of thing that I hate dealing with. The driver is a K33J. A Jensen driver, thanks Frzninvt, I assume a alnico magnet. The new ones from Klipsch are probably ceramic, right? Any mismatch with using two different types of drives? I guess I'll probably start searching Ebay. I really like these old things and would like to keep it original if possible. How does one negotiate around the basket and magnet to screw in the screws on the far side of the driver? Looks like that will be difficult.

Unfortunately, with the K-33J my understanding is that they were custom built for Klipsch by Jensen and differ from the Jensen P15LL which is similar to the K-33J. Yes it is alnico, not sure if you might be able to get it reconed, I doubt that the parts needed are available but perhaps they are. Your best bet may be to just get two new K-33E's and replace them both at the same time.

I certainly understand wanting to keep them vintage though. Perhaps a forum member may have a single K-33J that they would be willing to sell you, or recommend a place that can properly recone it. I would recone both if you find a place that can do it.

Thanks for all the replies, especially the tip on Orange County. I've done a little searching in between taking these things apart. According to the info that I have found, these could be from 1948-1961. How's that for narrowing it down! This info indicates that a serial number should be hammer stamped into the tailboard, woofer door or the woofer chamber. I cannot see anything on the tail board or access door. I sealed the woofer door up after I took pictures so maybe it is there. Here is another picture of the back of the speaker without the extra stuff. I have more pictures, but if you guys are getting sick of seeing them, just say the word. I want to post more once I get the veneer applied. This will take me a while as I leave town on business in a few days.

----------------

On 3/31/2005 3:59:26 PM Trey Cannon wrote:

Finding a "J" woofer will be a chore...New woofers would be the way to go... and the network should not have to change.

If you want to stop now, I will take thoes ulgy guys off your hands...
12.gif

----------------

Trey: Your giving nature never ceases to amaze me.

I have an idea:

If anyone can help him out keeping the alnicos if the one lead doesn't work, would you please contact him?

It can be a community project.

dodger

Joetubeman,

Congrats on your khoprn score.

looks like they are 61 maybe 62 going by your serial N0.

I have 5 khorns dating from 51 to 60 and your numbers are higher than my 60.

I like the look of the utilty khorn with out trim to me they are cool looking seeing the horns and crossover . Unfinshed utily are fast becoming a rare thing as most were painted of vaneared years ago.Plus stock khorns will always be worth more than redone ones as far as collecter value go. For evrey 20 model b or c I only see one d for sale.

I have seen 5 jensen k33j drivers like yours for sale on ebay in the past year. to me this is one of the best drivers Klipsch ever used.I think the early khorn wood mid

is the best one they ever had the sound is large and smooth. good luck with your horns