Belle vs Cornwall

franczyk

Im looking at getting a SET system, and have been considering buying a set of Cornwalls. I like the Cornwall because I hear it would also be able to rock if I attached even a modest push pull or solid state amp.

However, there is a pair of Belles for sale not too far from me... I am wondering, would I like the Belles? I have a large room and like to listen to just about everything, including rock, modern jazz, rap, classical, and some small scale accoustic... Id also like to use them as my home theater speakers.

I like the fact that they are extremely efficient, but I wonder about how much bass they put out... Would I need a subwoofer?

Thanks for any advice.

It boils down to the cosmetics and what proportions you prefer. The LS footprint is 24" square and the Belle is 30x18", thereabouts.

The overall sound will be VERY close to each other, esentially all of the components are the same, as is the bass horn specs.

If it were me, I'd go for the Belles, as they look nicer, have higher WAF, and a higher potential resale value for that reason.

DM2.gif

I used to own Cornwalls. I've also listened to Belles, though not side-by-side. Currently using Forte's, primarily because my listening room is not huge.

To my ears, and confirmed by what I've read here, the Cornwalls go deeper for sure. Some people have mated the Belles with subwoofers succesfully. The Belles will give you a tighter bass however, and a somewhat bigger sound overall than the Cornwalls. I found the Belles sounding a bit more laid back than the Cornwall.

Do a search on some of the mods ALK has done here to the midrange Squwacker and tweeter on the Belle. These mods seems to take the Belle up to another level. If you've got room for the Belles, I would go for it.

First of all, I encourage you to do a search of prior posts in two-channel because the topic of Cornwall vs. LaScala (very similar to a Belle) or Cornwall vs. Belle has previously been addressed. Remember, the Belle and the LaScala are very close brothers. They share the same drivers, and somewhat similar cabinets. The LaScala does have a slightly larger horn and different crossover point, but these two speakers have always sounded almost identical to me.

I own both and prefer Belles. Yes, Cornwalls dig deeper than Belles, but Belles have a tighter bass. And, run with a decent push-pull or solid state amp, they have plenty of bass response without a subwoofer. (Unless you need cathedral organ music played frequently). Actually, I found Belles to be more dynamic than Cornwalls - with a sweeter midrange, and the Cornwalls to be more bass-focused. Belles do all music very well, including rock, and I also use mine for HT.

That being said, both Belles and Cornwalls are excellent speakers, and you will find a number of Cornwall owners in here who prefer their speakers to LaScalas/Belles.

But, if it was me, I would jump all over a chance to get local Belles.

Carl.

P.S. Yes, if desired, Al, Dean & Bob in here offer a rebuild of your existing crossover or alternative crossovers. New crossovers took my Belles to another level.

"Get Khorns or Cornwalls unless you like the sound of your dentist's drill?"

You can keep repeating that over and over until you actually believe it.9.gif

Might have to get you to journey to St. Louis and hear what tubes and DHAXovers can do for Belles. 6.gif

Just not this weekend. We are kind of busy with some little 'ole basketball games.

Carl.

P.S. Should we repeat some of the nicest catch phrases about the Cornwall's midrange???? What did Dean call them??

"FYI, Im comparing the CORNWALL to the Belles, not the LaScala. Im not even considering the Lascala, as it is kinda ugly compared to the Belles."

Well, I guess you are (I only see what I WANT to see)! But that's a no brainer!

I say fully-horn loaded is better than only half-horn loaded.

DM

i am presently using cornwalls and la scalas(i know you are wondering about belles, but la scalas and bells are very close in sound) and the la scalas have better sound hands down, and i cant for the life of me figure out the tripe about poor bass, the la scalas go plenty deep, and you will feel it in the guts or anywhere else10.gif Joe

Picked up Belles two weeks ago, been listening to Corns for the past 18 months. There is no doubt to the "family" Heritage sound of both speakers. Belles do not go or sound as deep as the Cornwalls but I have found much of this depends on the type of music and how it was recorded.I get very good and solid bass with my MOSFET amplifier. Belles come off as much cleaner, more precise. Mine are crystal clean with new AA/A networks from BEC. I do look forward to bringing back the Cornwalls for further comparisons. After all they too sound very, very good. And if you want to own a speaker of timeless design and beauty, buy the Belles. As for Piranha he must be lacking in oral hygiene as I am not as familier with the sound of the dentist drill as he. I highly recommend Crest or Colgate and a good gargle.

In my experience the Belle and La Scala do NOT sound the same. They have different midrange horns, different woofer horns and different crossovers. Don't assume that because you like the La Scala you'll also like the Belle -- it sounds different (and IMHO, not nearly as good).

Also, the notion that "fully horn-loaded beats half horn-loaded" only applies if the fully horn-loaded speaker has a bass horn that's large enough to reproduce all meaningful musical fundamentals. The La Scala's and Belle's bass horns are too small to put out a fundamental much below 65Hz (do the math). The Cornwall puts out an honest 35Hz. No matter what type of music you listen to (unless you listen strictly to small solo instruments like viloin) there's an awful lot of information in the 35Hz - 65Hz range, and unlike other types of speakers, a horn simply can't be made to reproduce wavelengths longer than it's design can handle. Although at first you may not notice what's missing, over time you certainly will, and you'll look to add a (non horn-loaded) subwoofer.

Beyond all this, to my ears the Cornwall just plain sounds better than either the Belle or La Scala, no matter what amps you drive them with. Not just in the lower octave, but all the way up through 1kHz or so. Fewer compromises in its design (using a direct-radiating woofer up to 500Hz sounds more natural than a folded horn. Those mid frequencies don't like turning all those corners). And the Corns can reproduce a more 3-dimensional soundstage than the Belle or La Scala.

Of course, if you have a chance to listen to both, do so and make up your own mind. Personally I would NEVER buy any speaker that I haven't thoroughly auditioned.

----------------

On 4/1/2005 10:25:59 PM richieb wrote:

As for Piranha he must be lacking in oral hygiene as I am not as familier with the sound of the dentist drill as he. I highly recommend Crest or Colgate and a good gargle.

----------------

Well, I can certainly offer my analysis and opinions of both the La Scala and the Cornwall since I currently own both. I happen to prefer the overall sound of the Cornwall.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But please respect mine as I do yours.

I also prefer the cornwall over the belle or lascala. Just my opinion though. I'm lucky enough to own my 2 favorite heritage speakers, Khorns and Cornwalls. I've haven't spent a lot of time with the Lascala although I have heard them more then once (not in my home however) but did have the opportunity to audition the Belle in my home. Very nice speaker (makes a great center channel) but I still prefer the Cornwall. To each his/her own.

I must admit however, the Belle may be the 2nd prettiest of the Heritage line next to a nicely veneered "B" style Khorn.

----------------

On 4/3/2005 6:39:27 PM Piranha wrote:

----------------

On 4/1/2005 10:25:59 PM richieb wrote:

As for Piranha he must be lacking in oral hygiene as I am not as familier with the sound of the dentist drill as he. I highly recommend Crest or Colgate and a good gargle.

----------------

Well, I can certainly offer my analysis and opinions of both the La Scala and the Cornwall since I currently own both. I happen to prefer the overall sound of the Cornwall.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But please respect mine as I do yours.

----------------

Just poking a little fun, nothing meant to be taken seriously. I also own both but have not owned the Belles long. Getting ready to put the Corns back into the system for further evaluation. I love my Cornwalls also, a mighty fine sounding speaker!

Regards

Rich

----------------

On 4/3/2005 6:59:17 PM garymd wrote:

I must admit however, the Belle may be the 2nd prettiest of the Heritage line next to a nicely veneered "B" style Khorn.

----------------

I must admit however, the Khorn may be the 2nd prettiest of the Heritage line next to a nicely veneered set of Belles, and yours Rich are the prettiest i ever seen

For what it's worth the bass in the Cornwall can be tightened up quite a bit with a few tweaks.

While I don't have Belles here to compare, Chris Robinson felt the bass put out by my modified Cornwalls was on par with the Belle in terms of tightness.

I think the Belles in general looks nicer though even if they are harder to move around.

No Disc