Concerts, to go or not to go????

mandi

I wanted to take the wife to see James Taylor and got on line to search for tickets. The cheapest I could find was 135 each and those were in the nose bleed section so we would probably be looking at a screen. With the Concert DVDs available I think I would prefer to buy one of those and watch the screen at home, with the klipsch HT, I love the sound.

So I would really have to WANT to experience the in person show to spend the money now days.

Live concerts are still worth going to see. After the shows I see, I appreciate my Klipschorns more and more - they are as close to live sound as you can get without spending tens of thousands of dollars . But $135 to see James Taylor? Wow! Nothing against James Taylor, but that's a lot of $$$.

Guest Anonymous

Greetings-

Well a few years back my parents went to see the Rolling Stones live and they sat in the third row and the tickets were over $350 a piece. Then about a year later they spent $200.00 a piece to see Sting live.

I myself spent $75 to see Metallica live, $50 to see Incubus and Sparta, and most recently and by far the absolute BEST SET I ever saw in my whole life was Keller Williams for $40.00 a pop. Keller Williams is an incredible artist to say the very least.

I personally think that live concerts are great, but I won't spend more than $75 to see anyone. I have very few limits, but that is one of them.

Have a good evening

George

----------------

On 4/1/2005 5:32:02 PM scott0527 wrote:

Not go.

He's bald and just doesn't look right anymore. Wait, no that's Peter Frampton, no that's James Taylor.

----------------

No, that's me. You can visit me for a lot less than $135, bTW (not counting airfare and lodging).

I'd pay $175 a seat to see you piece together some pipes, dressed in a pink leotard, with patent leather stillehtos, IF, and only if, I get to bring a camera. 2.gif

As far as concerts, I haven't been to many, but if I had the money to spend, these are people that you'll not see doing concerts much longer. It would be worth it, to me, IF I had the money, just to be able to say I was at one of his concerts. If I were to go, though, I'd step up to the plate and get as close to the stage as I could. Another $100, WTF, go for it. You only go round once in life.

"by far the absolute BEST SET I ever saw in my whole life was Keller Williams for $40.00 a pop. Keller Williams is an incredible artist to say the very least."

You said it. I've seen Keller Williams on numerous occasions - solo, and playing frontman with the String Cheese Incident (and when KW gets together with SCI, you are REALLY in for a treat9.gif).

I have not been to many concerts either.

However, I did spend a good $60 to see Rush last summer. We had decent seats, but nothing spectacular. With a decent set of bi-nocs, I was able to see the Canadian trio up-close, and was close enough to get a good look with out the field glasses. Was an awesome show, though, that would've been hard to recreate, even with my 55-inch TV and RF-7s

The best one, thus far was seeing Trans-Siberian Orchestra last fall. I've paid around $50 for those tickets. However, i was only 3 friggan rows from the stage, right at stage center - with the lead vocalist standing directly in front of me. I was no farther from the stage than I would be from my TV in my own living room! Now, that was an incredible show!

In about week and half, I'll be seeing Sonata Arctica live. That was only a $20 ticket there, in a small venue. That will be awesome.

And in September, I plan on going to Atlanta to go to ProgPower VI. That is a $100 ticket there (plus the airfare and hotel stay). Two days and 10 bands, including Stratovarius and Therion, as well as Pink Cream 69. Only 900 tickets available for this one!

If I can get a decent seat, at a reasonable price, I don't mind going to see the actual live act. Otherwise, give me the DVD and let me watch it in the comfort of my own home.

I have given up on live concerts completely as it has been my bad luck on the last three attempts ( Neil Diamond x 2 and Arlo Guthrie ) to have my enjoyment obliterated by shrieking bimbos a row or 2 behind me ( N.D.) and about 6 noisy boisterous drunks directly behind me who when they weren't shouting "Duh!! We love you Arlo" amused themselves by yapping loudly amongst themselves ( between F*rts that would peel paint ).

Bringing these behaviours to the attention of the venue staff resulted in no obvious effort to get the boors to show some consideration.

I have too many other more enjoyable ways for my wife and I to blow $250-$300 on an evening out.

Thank Heaven I have my Khorns.

Paying the prices for the shows now days, make me feel good about the $35 per ticket I paid for Pink Floyd tickets in '94. That was a great show! Last show I went to was Van Halen in Dallas a few months back and they were $80 per. It was a great show also!

Bryan

9.gif

Wait until a couple of days before the show, check the internet ticket sites. Lot's of venues free up tickets that were held in reserve but had no takers. My daughter got 4th row tickets for a "sold out" Janet Jackson concert last year by checking every day during the last 10 days before the concert, and she got them at a discount.

I consider myself very fortunate to have seen literally hundreds of concerts over the past 30+ years but at this stage of my life, if I can't get REALLY good seats I usually pass. Hell, I don't even see the Dead when they come to town every year. There's nothing like a live show but I won't do nose-bleed anymore and I can't stand the crowds. I'll pay high dollar if I can get great seats and if it's someone I REALLY want to see.

Gary -

If you ever get addicted to String Cheese Incident, you'll never have a bad seat (cuz they play 2K to 6K sized places), you can afford the tix (about $30 plus a $5 fee if purchased direct), and did I mention that they have the best sound and soundman in Rock today????

Oh, and another bonus: Listening to SCI soundboards through Tubes and Horns 3.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif3.gif

There's LOTS of other bands out there that are worth seeing and that anyone can afford. Rock and Roll isn't dead, it's just gone a bit underground. Paying $100+ for concert tickets is sooooo yesterday......

The last concert I went to was the Eagles in Reno.

I have been to a lot of concerts in my life, and I have the very unfortunate luck to always being seated next to a dam loud-mouth junky or drunk. Yippee! I QUIT! 7.gif

My speakers sound as good (and in most cases better) anyway.....

Take care

Mike

Led Zep 1977 $9.50. Festival seating. Got maced by the cops. What a story for the grandkids

I've seen hundreds of live concerts in my time. However I am more selective as I age and prices soar. Usually only one or two per year. Best couple of shows in recent memory were Chicago and Joe Cocker. I just showed up at the theatre the night of Cocker show and was able to buy a single seat in 10th row for $40 face value. Also caught U2's last concert here, Valentines day- Bono's birthday, by getting a single from a scalper just as show started- think I paid 1/2 face value.

Otherwise, it's pretty much a ripoff. TicketBastard 'fees' and scalpers have caused the prices to skyrocket IMHO.

James Taylor- why pay to take a nap, just sleep at home.

Michael

Well, James Taylor was just because he is the closest to the area. For some reason I have a concert bug but after searching do not want to come close to the cost of the tickets. I will purchase a DVD and enjoy the concert from the comfort of my own home.

The area is looking into an outdoor pavilion that will seat only about 2500 and,The Doobie Brothers were mentioned.

That is the Only Outdoor concert I have ever been to.

THE WILD HOG BOOGIE

I do not remember the year, 1980ish

I went to several concerts in college but we had to be very well behaved

----------------

On 4/1/2005 10:34:00 PM lynnm wrote:

I have given up on live concerts completely as it has been my bad luck on the last three attempts ( Neil Diamond x 2 and Arlo Guthrie ) to have my enjoyment obliterated by shrieking bimbos a row or 2 behind me ( N.D.) and about 6 noisy boisterous drunks directly behind me who when they weren't shouting "Duh!! We love you Arlo" amused themselves by yapping loudly amongst themselves ( between F*rts that would peel paint ).

----------------

Sorry you had such a bad experience at an Arlo Guthrie concert. Concert enjoyment has so much to with the venue. We saw Arlo Guthrie here last year here. The concert was set up in the lobby of an old railway hotel lobby. They had folding chairs set up for about 100 people and cost $30. I actually bumped into Arlo on my way back from the bathroom. I love going to concerts in these small settings. I saw him touring with Pete Seeger at Red Rocks in Denver in the early seventies in front of thousands of people. Arlo was playing one of his dads guitars and you could see the wear and tear on it. His son was also up on the improvised stage with him. His stage banter is so sharp and witty that I think he comes the closest to being a modern Will Rogers. You only really get that in person.

My wife pulled me into a Harry Connick Jr. concert last year too. I would never have thought to buy any of his cds but he put on a really fun show. We also saw James Taylor, John Prine and Crosby, Stills, and Nash up close in a small venues. Since we can't fill out huge auditoriums here (we might just be a stopover point between big cities) it seems like the musicians that play here sort of relax a bit and just have fun. We still get alot of good concerts here and if you can catch a concert in a small town, I think it's well worth the price of admission.

----------------

On 4/2/2005 7:50:09 AM Audible Nectar wrote:

There's LOTS of other bands out there that are worth seeing and that anyone can afford. Rock and Roll isn't dead, it's just gone a bit underground. Paying $100+ for concert tickets is sooooo yesterday......

----------------

Oh yeah! Like I mentioned above, I got a ticket to go see Sonata Arctica for only $20. I have all of thier albums, and these guys are just friggan awesome! It'll be worth the $20 and 40 minute drive to go see these guys live!

And just this morning, I managed to score two tickets to ProgPower VI, at $100 per ticket (to bad I had to go through TicketBastard, though - which so kindly tacked on another $10/ticket - thanks guys 14.gif ). That sounds like a lot, but this is a two-day affair (Sept 16-17), with 10 bands, and only 900 tickets available. A very exclusive audience here. This should be an awesome show!