Music with very low frequencies for subs

mustang1

Just wondering if anyone can give me a few names of songs or CD's to purchase consisting of very low frequency organ music, or jazz type with very low end. I've heard of acoustic bass being low in Holly Cole (not sure of name of CD) but cannot find in stores. I'm not looking for rap type of bass. I have an RSW-15, along with a Sunfire, normally playing Rock and Pop; need to expand my musical vocabulary and experiences. Thanks.10.gif

Pink Floyd, "Dark Side of the Moon"

Star Tracks II, Telarc CD-80146, especially tracks 2, 8, 10, "Back to the Future" theme, "Star Trek IV" theme and theme from "Cocoon." This CD may be hard to find, possibly out of print, but is a real bass-fest.

Saint Saens "Organ" Symphony #3, Telarc CD-80051. Soft very low organ bass starting about halfway into the first music. Crescendo organ bass in the third movement.

"Ein Straussfest," Telarc CD-80098.

Tchaikovsky's "1812" Overture, Telarc CD-80041. Keep that volume down on the digital cannons at the end until you know what your system can take! There are other very deep orchestral bass crescendos elsewhere in the piece.

I like Telarc: The Great Fantacy Adventure Album (there may be a II version), and Symphonic Star Trek.

Both of these have warnings that low frequency effects on the CDs can damage speakers. Obviously that means it is something we will like.

Gil

----------------

On 4/1/2005 9:53:31 PM flegz wrote:

VICTOR WOOTEN............
3.gif

----------------

I'm a big fan of Victor Wooten. Fun stuff in that guy's playing, that's for sure!

However, for wall shaking, ground rattling bass try Steve Roach: The Magnificent Void. I picked this up on a recommendation by SynthFreak and it will test your system's depth and dynamic range unlike any other recording I know.

It isn't music, per se, more like sound sculpture. Very very intense.

WWW.SteveRoach.com

Forrest

EDIT:

I just reread the post... not just 'low bass' you wanted jazz and/or organ music...

try www.putumayo.com and search out Blues Cafe... blues, yes, but unusual and jazzy.

Holly Cole: It Happened One Night (has very low bass... recorded live)

Ricky Lee Jones: Pop! Pop! (great jazzy disk, low low fretless bass playing).

As flegz posted above, anything from the mind of Victor Wooten makes me smile. The dude is a monster player!

----------------

On 4/1/2005 10:13:37 PM psg wrote:

Holly Cole has fantastic bass, 'Temptation' in partucular. I'm pretty sure you can order CDs from her web site.

----------------

Thanks for the tip! I just put on that CD. Makes me smile. 3.gif

Forrest

Any Dorian label CD of organist Jean Guillou...there are many ranging from all Bach and Franck, to improvisations and orchestral transcriptions. All have the low 32' bass pedal fundamentals you're looking for.2.gif

----------------

On 4/2/2005 12:30:21 AM jt1stcav wrote:

Any Dorian label CD of organist Jean Guillou...there are many ranging from all Bach and Franck, to improvisations and orchestral transcriptions. All have the low 32' bass pedal fundamentals you're looking for.
2.gif

----------------

What he said. Really.

Forrest

Telarc CD80097: The Ruffatti Organ in Davies Symphony Hall, Michael Murray. Try tracks 1 and 11 -- sub 20Hz bass.

Telarc CD80146: Star Tracks II. Try track 2 for sub to mid 20Hz bass.

Phillips 412 619-2: Saint Saens Organ Symphony, San Francisco Symphony, Edo de Waart. Tones reach down to 16Hz on track 2, with the purest tones occuring at 9:00 into the track. Abnormally high gain is needed to play this at wall-shaking levels, so be sure to turn the volume down after the movement!

Dorial DOR 90117: Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. Try tracks 5 and 15. Recorded on the great organ of the Tonhalle, Zurich.

London 410 164-2: Prokofiev Alexander Nevsky, Cleveland Orchestra and Chorus, Ricardo Chailly, conductor. The bass drum in this CD reaches 25Hz.

Argo 417 159-2: Hindemith Organ Works, Peter Huford, organist. Try track 5 at 4:45. The 19Hz note here is 6dB louder than the highest level at any other frequency on the entire disc. Start with moderate level settings.

London 410 145-2: Respighi Pines of Rome, etc., Charles Dutoit, Montreal Symphony. There is an almost pure 22 Hz note on track 4 between 1:22 and 2:29.

Argo 414 420-2: Mendelssohn Organ Works, Peter Huford, organist. Very loud 19Hz on track 8. Preceed with caution when playing this disc!

Geffen 24233-2: Enya Watermarks. Lots of low bass on this New Age music (20s to low 30s). Try track 10.

Reference Recording RR-59CD: Pomp and Pipes! This CD has sub 20Hz signals on tracks 4 and 9.

Reference Recording RR-S3CD: HDCD Sampler. Excellent for testing bass tightness, especially on track 1.

Sheffield Lab CD-14/20: The Sheffield Drum & Track Record.The Drum Record tracks are excellent for testing bass tightness, especially track 5.

BPM CD-460: Thom Rotella Band. Bass solo in track 12 is excellent for testing bass transients.

Private Music 01005-82089-2: Jennifer Warnes -- The Hunter. Tracks 8 and 9 have very tight mid to low bass.

Warner Bros 262562-2: Bella Fleck and the Flecktones, Flight of the Cosmic Hippos. Track 4 has extremely high levels of deep and mid bass.

Verve 314 517 657: Tom Grant, The View from Here. Try track 3.

LaserLight 15 313: Virgil Fox. Try track 4 for sub 20Hz from 1:30 into track.

Newtown NTN2210: Bass Outlaws, Illegal Bass. Try track 12, "Stereo Bass" -- ultra loud bass in the low to sub-20Hz range.

From your avatar, it looks like you like fast cars. If you want to experience formula one racing and test the structural integrity of your house, play "Speedway to Nazereth" (loud) from the Mark Knopfler cd - "Sailing to Philadelphia". There are some other songs that have a strong and deep bass line on that cd as well. I'd love to hear it with a sub!

----------------

On 4/1/2005 6:03:05 PM DTLongo wrote:

Correction - ...starting halfway into the first MOVEMENT... on the St. Saens #3.

----------------

For trivia enthusiasts only: Tom, Saint-Saens had confusing movement designations in this symphony! Most would hear four movements: (1) a moderato first movement followed by (2) a slow second movement, (3) a scherzo, and (4) an allegro finale.

However, S-S called the combination of the moderato and slow movement the "first" movement, and the combo of the scherzo and finale the "second." Probably because there is a transition without a break between the moderato and slow sections, and again between the scherzo and finale.

The way everyone would hear it, your first post would be right -- the low organ (down to a 34-Hz D-flat) starts part-way through the slow "movement." But, looking at a score, the fan(atic) would say your second post was a good catch.

Erukian was also right -- partway though the slow section, Saint-Saens calls for "32 pieds," i.e., a 32-foot rank. That produces a 16 or 17-Hz D-flat. I can hear that on my system in the Munch recording of the late '50s.

Larry

----------------

On 4/1/2005 6:50:36 PM CaptnBob wrote:

"Pomp and Pipes" Reference Recordings - "Schwanda the Bagpiper" has genuine, no kidding really, sub 20hz pedal tones.

----------------

I also recommand Pomp and Pipes. Track #4 will rattle your house and your surrounding neighbors houses.

The CD I have is :

Pomp & Pipes

Frederick Fennell

Dallas Wind Symphony

Paul Riedo, organist

There was a thread sometime back regarding this recording.

Born2RockU's -Big Left Turn's CD, Dreamship has some great bass as well.

Any recordings of "Organ Works by Bach". The one I have is called "Organ Spectacular"-Ton Koopman, organist.

JJ

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones - Flight of the Cosmic Hippo

Time Warp - Erich Kunzel w/ Cincinnati Pops Orchestra (on the Telarc label)

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over

Donald ***en - Kamakiriad (this BB's software flagged part of his last name but it's one of the two guys that founded Steely Dan)

Madonna - I'm Breathless - "Vogue"