Best integrated amp under $700?

MBM135

My tube amp is acting up

==============

An early 60s tube amp is like a vintage car.

carb adjusting, set point and plugs...

They will need maintanance to varying degress depending on how well they were treated by sometimes multiple previous owners.

But the sound is excellent for the economy and a little inconvenience.

There are a few to consider, I would look into something used like

Creek 5350se $700-900

Exposure Super XV $300-500

Naim Nait 3 $500-700

New:

Creek 4330se $700

Exposure 2010s $1000

Jolida 102b $550

If you like the "british" sound which usually means great rythm, timing, punchy, dynamic and a sweet midrange, you cant go wrong with Creek, Naim or Exposure. Exposure is not very well known in the States but they make some of the best integrateds I have ever heard for the price, they just have a rightness to the sound that is amazing, they just let the music through.

I agree with Gary.

It certainly would be interesting to compare the Scott rebuild integrated from NOS Valves to a Naim or Creek 5350 or a BAT. Those are big dollar integrateds.

I have had my Scott LK-48 to Craig 3 times.

1. Minor rebuild

2. Complete rebuild and bias mod

3. new power transformer

It needed a transformer perhaps due to poor bias from a previous owner.

Great amp and I think I only have about $ 650 into it; not really sure. It is worth every pennny restoring it!

The truth is any of the Scotts rebuilt are just outstanding for the money. Depending on the tubes you either find in them, or put in them, one might sound better than the other.

I have had 3 different ones (see profile). They are all great. You can probably purchase any of the popular models and get it rebuilt for your price. Then, it will be up to you to "tube it up" to however sweet you want it to sound, and however much extra you want to spend.

Once you get into it, your budget suddenly will not matter as much anymore.9.gif

I'm using a Jolida 102B tube integrated Very smooth and clear, very quiet. Paid $500 for it new about a month ago.

Plug it in, use it, forget about it.

If you only plan on using one source you can make a very simple, excellent sounding rig with a Sonic Impact or a Teac T-amp.

I'm using the $100 Teac with a pair of Altec 605s, adjusting the volume with the level controls on the back. Simple, cheap; great sound.

----------------

On 4/15/2005 12:56:07 AM MBM135 wrote:

Any recommendations? My tube amp is acting up and I may sell it since it will take time and dollars to repair. Using Forte IIs.

MM
----------------

If I rebuilt your amp I will fix it no charge. Did you ever think of dropping me a line to help you through what ever problem your having? If you need me I'm here.

Craig

Get it fixed! That is one sweet sounding litle piece of gear. Lacks a smidge of slam on current bizarro stuff like Nigthwish, but pound for pound etc. (Craig rebuilt 299a owner)

Imperfect, that Exposure sounds relly cool. Sounds like you've got a great feel for Brit gear. I love the Brit's but they are quirky (own a Triumph motorcycle and a Rega Planet) hope for some strange reason they haven't put the volumne control on the back of the amp.3.gif Welcome to the Forum, by the way.

You know what they say about people's opinions, everyone has one, and you asked for them so:

IF one doesn't need heavy watts to drive ineffecient speakers I don't see how you could do any better than one of Scott's vintage integrated amplifiers. I've owned a couple and currently own a 299D that's been completely redone by Charlie at Vacuum Tube Valley. I don't know how much money a guy would have to spend to get the quality sound that can be had from one of Scott's integrated amps.

These guys had it so right all those years ago!

My $.02

Regards,

Bill Woodward

MBM,

First off, I'd go with Craigs suggestion and get your Scott rebuilt/fixed..........." If I rebuilt your amp I will fix it no charge"

. If your looking for some thing new- I am also a Big fan of Creek int amps.........best bang for the buck! My Old Creek 4140MK II.......at 35 wpc IS a super piece of equipment! The newer ones are excellent and have received lots of good reviews. Also look at Cambrige Audio. (they use Creek componets), and cost lots less! JMHO.

If you are thinking ss. The Revox B760 mk2 is awsome. There are 2 on ebay and 1 on Audiogon all for under $300.00 I had one back in the mid 80's. They are great. Sold new for approx $2,800.00 Has phono stage with adjustable gaine. Built like a tank.

Yeah I really like the sound of British gear, well at least there amps. Exposure is kinda quirky like naim, they want you to use thier speaker cable since they build there amps without a zobel on the output some speaker cables with high inductance dont work well with them. Also they only accept banana plugs which can be annoying if you happen to have spades. But in the end I find that its worth putting up with the quirkyness of Exposure and Naim since theier stuff just sounds so good. At least for the price i think British integrateds are the way to go if you need amplification under $2000.