tube amp recommendations

smuttynose

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smutty, That is a good price on that unit. I have seen them sell for more on ebay. Yes that one is a Panor. I think they were made in the late 80s/early 90s. I personally have not listened to one, but I've seen good things about them.

Another good pre that comes up from time to time on Audiogon is the Conrad Johnson line. All the ones with phono on right now are sold unfortunately. If you check "new today" a couple of times a day, you may luck out there too. Thebes bought one a couple of months ago on my recomendation and he never sent out a hit man so I guess he is pleased.-)

Gary, One, Yeah OK!

Rick

• 2 weeks later...

Dean:

When my back is healed, I very much want to try some experiments with both slab-built and wheel thrown forms for audio use. I post for the same reason anyone here does, and who could admittedly also spend some time doing other things. I've been slowly working on repairing the damaged corner of the Heresies we got a couple of months ago, as well as repairing an amplifier for the relative of a fellow forum member.

I need to submit that the variable L-pad was not a compromise the resulted from a failed experiment. My interest in using the autoformer, which schematically resembles really a multi-tapped choke, had to do with finding use for something I had on hand -- although in a way it was originally intended -- to simply attenuate the output of the squawker. Experimentation, which absolutely can result in failure (I know that first hand well!), can also sometimes lead to useful discoveries.

The variable L-pad was the solution I came with for a friend who very much wanted to reduce the output of the midrange in his K-horns, but also wanted the flexibility and finer control and tolerances a variable resistor (L-pad) would provide. It requires no further compensation as far as adusting the capacitor on the input, and maintains the impedance of the driver regardless of the position of the wiper. I liked the result, and also use them on the second order networks I built from scratch using the tables I have for crossover points and required values of capacitance and inductance for drivers of varying impedances.

Lastly: I understand you were upset and defending Craig, who I know is a very important friend. I'm sorry to have brought that on, but sometimes we get caught up in the moment in trying to convey points, defend our personal understanding of things, etc. In any event, I understand that you were angry, as well as the reason for it.

I will absolutely share experiments with ceramic horns, which may end up as a complete belly-flop -- or may actually prove to have some useful attributes. It's just fun to make useful things that work, and hand-built ceramic horns might turn out to be one of those things.

Erik

Hi,

I rebuild vintage amps for people all over the world and

the first thing to consider when buying a vintage amp on Ebay is that it will most probably have to be rebuilt. But, once done, the amp will perform very well. Vintage amps were well designed and have a lot of features especially if you are into vinyl.

My suggestion would be to go with a Dynaco PAS 2 or 3, or a Scott LC21 for the preamp and a Dynaco ST70 for the power amp. I have always liked both H.H. Scott and Dynaco because of their build quality, looks, and sound quality.

I like the ST70 because it is a good value and responds well to parts upgrades. Most people never give the poor amp a chance in original configuration which is sad. I have rebuilt more then I can count and every one was rebuilt to original configuration with the only changes being the use of high quality resistors which I hand match and high quality capacitors like Auricaps or Musicaps. Also, cleaning up the wiring and dressing the leads helps if you encounter one which was wired in a sloppy manner. All in all, if you shop, you can find an unrestored ST70 and PAS 2 for under $500.00. For another $500.00 you can have the power supplies and circuit boards refurbished with quality parts and end up with a system that will cost many times that to beat.

A Scott LC21 preamp is probably one of the best vintage preamps. It isn't as cheap to buy as a PAS2 though. The LK150 by Scott is the usual power amp associated with the LC21 and can be quite expensive, but it can also deliver 60+ watts of power per channel. More then enough to blast you into the next county via a pair of Klipschorns. Another benefit of these components is that they will retain their value if you decide to upgrade to higher priced components.

Bill B.

This kind of question could be too broad but, I gotta start somewhere. I am going to buy a tube amp, probably an integrated for starters, but I am really longing to go all the way into it at some point with components; pre-amp/amp, pre- and mono blocks, who knows.

Well, my advice is to find gear that has readily available tubes (read: currently in production). For instance, the ST-70 used 7199s in the original configuration, but no one is making a true 7199 any more. Check out the price for vintage 7199s!

However, there are numerous boards out there to replace the front-end of the ST-70 which use readily available, good sounding tubes. Unfortunately, that is not true of all amps.

So, do some research on the tube complement of the gear you are considering and make sure there is a reliable, good-sounding version in production.

The ST-70 and PAS-2/3 are definitely good options. Also, since they were so popular, there are lots of available options for refurb. You won't have much difficulty finding everything you need to make 'em sing.

Jeff

----------------

On 5/16/2005 9:31:53 PM Piranha wrote:

Don't forget to add, "or the best new $2500 amps made"

----------------

That's right, $2500 a pair, unless you're Dean, then it's $2500 each. At least I think that was what Craig told me.

That's O.K., I just quadrupled the price of the networks I'm using in partial trade for them. I think that keeps me just about even! When it's all said and done, Craig will have a pair of $10,000 networks, and I'll have a set of $50,000 amplifiers.9.gif

Sorry for popping into the discussion late but I've owned both the Cayin TA-30 and Scott 299B (rebuilt by Craig) at the same time and used them both extensively with RF-7s and Cornwalls. The Cayin has a look and feel of a very high end piece of equipment and sonically sounded....good (but not great). It was a little brittle on the top end and didn't give me the warm tube sound I was looking for. It did have very good bass for a tube amp. I ended up selling the Cayin and kept the Scott, which I never regretted. The 299B just sounds more 'musical', to my ears at least. I'm getting out of audio for a while now though and the Klipsch's and the Scott will find new homes. I hope whoever gets them enjoys them as much as I. The main thing is to find a combination you are happy with and just enjoy the music...

Just my .02 cents...

Dave

----------------

On 5/17/2005 8:18:52 AM texas42 wrote:

The 299B just sounds more 'musical', to my ears at least. I'm getting out of audio for a while now though and the Klipsch's and the Scott will find new homes. I hope whoever gets them enjoys them as much as I.

Dave

----------------

This begs two questions...

1. Why are you getting out of audio?

2. How much do you want for the Scott? (i.e. if I can't talk you out of giving it up, then I might like to have it!)

Forrest

----------------

Sorry for popping into the discussion late but I've owned both the Cayin TA-30 and Scott 299B (rebuilt by Craig) at the same time and used them both extensively with RF-7s and Cornwalls. The Cayin has a look and feel of a very high end piece of equipment and sonically sounded....good (but not great). It was a little brittle on the top end and didn't give me the warm tube sound I was looking for. It did have very good bass for a tube amp. I ended up selling the Cayin and kept the Scott, which I never regretted. The 299B just sounds more 'musical', to my ears at least. I'm getting out of audio for a while now though and the Klipsch's and the Scott will find new homes. I hope whoever gets them enjoys them as much as I. The main thing is to find a combination you are happy with and just enjoy the music...

Just my .02 cents...

Dave
----------------

Dave,

I'll be here when you get your senses back2.gif Thanks for the great comments.

Craig

----------------

On 5/17/2005 8:24:29 AM Woodog wrote:

----------------

The 299B just sounds more 'musical', to my ears at least. I'm getting out of audio for a while now though and the Klipsch's and the Scott will find new homes. I hope whoever gets them enjoys them as much as I.

Dave

----------------

2. How much do you want for the Scott? (i.e. if I can't talk you out of giving it up, then I might like to have it!)

Forrest

----------------

Forrest,

To answer your questions....

1. I have 4 complete systems set up now which is far too many to enjoy and really need to scale it back some. Plus, and more importantly, my wife permanently lost the hearing in one of her ears and it's difficult to get overly excited anymore about great sounding equipment when I can't share that with her.

2. Secondly, the Scott is for sale for $500 which includes Craig's complete makeover and a new custom oak cabinet. I'll also throw in a set of four gold plated banana speaker adaptors (they fit over the screw on speaker terminals in the back to allow for speaker wire with banana plugs). I have over $700 in this amp so I think that is a very fair price. Let me know if you are interested.

Regards,

Dave

Charlie the Tuna, representative of StarKist Tuna, made his first appearance in a TV commercial for StarKist, in 1961. He has starred in over 85 Television commercials, always trying to learn good taste. But the answer is always "Sorry, Charlie. StarKist wants tuna that tastes good, not tuna with good taste."

c7

----------------

On 5/16/2005 9:24:49 PM DeanG wrote:

Who?

I have a new slogan for Craig:

"What do you want, good grammar or good taste."
9.gif

----------------

----------------

On 5/17/2005 1:01:14 PM texas42 wrote:

----------------

On 5/17/2005 8:24:29 AM Woodog wrote:

----------------

Dave

----------------

Forrest

----------------

Forrest,

To answer your questions....

1. I have 4 complete systems set up now which is far too many to enjoy and really need to scale it back some. Plus, and more importantly, my wife permanently lost the hearing in one of her ears and it's difficult to get overly excited anymore about great sounding equipment when I can't share that with her.

2. Secondly, the Scott is for sale for $500 which includes Craig's complete makeover and a new custom oak cabinet. I'll also throw in a set of four gold plated banana speaker adaptors (they fit over the screw on speaker terminals in the back to allow for speaker wire with banana plugs). I have over $700 in this amp so I think that is a very fair price. Let me know if you are interested.

Regards,

Dave

----------------

'tis a fair price indeed, and you have email.

Woo

----------------

On 5/17/2005 1:14:26 PM Clipped and Shorn wrote:

Charlie the Tuna, representative of StarKist Tuna, made his first appearance in a TV commercial for StarKist, in 1961. He has starred in over 85 Television commercials, always trying to learn good taste. But the answer is always "Sorry, Charlie. StarKist wants tuna that tastes good, not tuna with good taste."

c7

----------------

On 5/16/2005 9:24:49 PM DeanG wrote:

Who?

I have a new slogan for Craig:

"What do you want, good grammar or good taste."
9.gif

----------------

----------------

Clipped,

Dean ripped that off from Cheech and Chong. "Ashley Roachclip."