The SET Debate (again)

edwinr

----------------

On 4/30/2005 7:30:48 PM Parrot wrote:

Some call what they hear MAGIC.

MAGIC is an acronym for music made Mushy, Anemic, Gelded, Impoverished, and Compressed.

----------------

That's cute.

Music doesn't sound very good through my network, but it think it is due to packet losses.

Marvel

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter what or how anyone tries to make any statement regarding any amplifier, personal taste and personal hearing sensitivity and hearing curve have to be factored in.

The first has been addressed but the second and third have been pretty much skipped over.

I should start off on the proper foot, but I feel somewhat compelled to weigh in on what I am observing here.

It would appear that this forum is dominated by a rather conceited lot, possessing very little knowledge or common sense regarding the audio arts. Perhaps you find yourselves entertaining, in a Jerry Springer kind of way. Its not too far of a stretch to imagine that you have precious little experience with the equipment you choose to lash out at with your thinly veiled criticisms.

Ah, the SET must suffer from compression. My, my. Look at all the funds wasted by recording studios on compressor limiters, when a simple 2A3 amplifier could so easily be fitted for this purpose. And at a rather substantial cost savings, I might add.

If indeed you are able to discern effects similar to compression whilst listening to a SET amplifier, you are exceeding the capabilities of the device. What you are in fact hearing are the effects of clipping. This being the case, your listening habits necessitate a more powerful amplifier, as the common sense limiter has failed to actuate.

Microdynamics and driver excursion are inversely proportional.

For those of you carping about accurate music reproduction, one could only speculate as to the horrific sound that you surely consider accurate. A Klipschorn driven to high sound levels is emitting significantly more distortion. Combined with the reflected energy contained within the room boundaries, and the natural effects of cancellation, you have quite a cacophony. Ah, you have indeed created the club sound in your home. You should be very proud of how you have managed to reduce a superbly engineered product to a level equal to industrial amplification.

Being someone whom earns their worth with my ears, I prefer a similar sound in my home and in my control room. Whilst I consider myself fortunate to own a pair of classic Klipschorns, I do not feel compelled to abuse them, or myself.

Although this fact is certain to be lost on you Power Rangers, it is the owner of the small SET amplifier whom has truly come to appreciate high fidelity sound. Something to ponder as you twiddle the pots on your preamplifiers, undoubtedly named after a pie filling. And of course, whilst listening to selections garnered from the uncompressed music aisle of the record store.

You may now resume your chortling and back slapping. I hope my use of punctuation has not offended the more unstable amongst you. If your neighbors dog starts giving off about hunting me down, please seek professional help.

-Ian

Ian,

I guess I can say welcome!

Many here are quite a conceited lot. Plus, a few others make their living using their ears as well.

You are correct that what is described as 'compression' is very likely the amp clipping. I think, amongst all the jocularity exhibited here, you will find some good responses too. That used within their limitations, SET topology amps sound simply beautiful. They would probably work for me, as I have a fairly small room and only listen in the 70 - 90db range.

Different amps sound best with certain speakers and settings (rooms, etc). I certainly don't need an 800 watt amp for what I listen too, or to drive any of the speakers I have to levels they were designed for.

I even find myself mixing at much lower levels than many say I should, but the playback seems to come out fine.

Most of the kidding and slamming is because the majority of the guys here know one another pretty well. Some meet on occasion, to hear one another's systems, etc.

Again, welcome.

Marvel

khornn,

Well said. There are a few here that beat this topic to death. they have driven a few folks off of this forum, because of the 'Jerry Springer' type rantings. Mostly anti-SET amps.

They seem to use this forum for their own personal audio business advertising. From what I've seen here. when anything is posted about SET amps, these few will jump in and start knocking these amps. Have not seen the other way around. So you can see where the problem lays.

----------------

On <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />5/1/2005 10:37:04 AM khornn wrote: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I should start off on the proper foot

----------------

Apparently, you decided against that.

----------------

On 5/1/2005 10:37:04 AM khornn also wrote:

"You may now resume your chortling and back slapping.

----------------

At least were slapping each others backs, and not breaking our arms patting ourselves on the back.

----------------

On 5/1/2005 10:37:04 AM khornn also wrote:

I hope my use of punctuation has not offended the more unstable amongst you. If your neighbors dog starts giving off about hunting me down, please seek professional help.

-Ian

----------------

Were not offended by improper punctuation. We don't mind that you improperly punctuated the second sentence above. Were more interested in the substance of the comment than the style.

----------------

On 5/1/2005 10:37:04 AM khornn wrote:

I should start off on the proper foot, but I feel somewhat compelled to weigh in on what I am observing here.

It would appear that this forum is dominated by a rather conceited lot, possessing very little knowledge or common sense regarding the audio arts. Perhaps you find yourselves entertaining, in a Jerry Springer kind of way. It’s not too far of a stretch to imagine that you have precious little experience with the equipment you choose to lash out at with your thinly veiled criticisms.

Ah, the SET must suffer from “compression”. My, my. Look at all the funds wasted by recording studios on compressor limiters, when a simple 2A3 amplifier could so easily be fitted for this purpose. And at a rather substantial cost savings, I might add.

If indeed you are able to discern effects similar to compression whilst listening to a SET amplifier, you are exceeding the capabilities of the device. What you are in fact hearing are the effects of clipping. This being the case, your listening habits necessitate a more powerful amplifier, as the common sense limiter has failed to actuate.

Microdynamics and driver excursion are inversely proportional.

For those of you carping about accurate music reproduction, one could only speculate as to the horrific sound that you surely consider accurate. A Klipschorn driven to high sound levels is emitting significantly more distortion. Combined with the reflected energy contained within the room boundaries, and the natural effects of cancellation, you have quite a cacophony. Ah, you have indeed created the club sound in your home. You should be very proud of how you have managed to reduce a superbly engineered product to a level equal to industrial amplification.

Being someone whom earns their worth with my ears, I prefer a similar sound in my home and in my control room. Whilst I consider myself fortunate to own a pair of classic Klipschorns, I do not feel compelled to abuse them, or myself.

Although this fact is certain to be lost on you Power Rangers, it is the owner of the small SET amplifier whom has truly come to appreciate high fidelity sound. Something to ponder as you twiddle the pots on your preamplifiers, undoubtedly named after a pie filling. And of course, whilst listening to selections garnered from the uncompressed music aisle of the record store.

You may now resume your chortling and back slapping. I hope my use of punctuation has not offended the more unstable amongst you. If your neighbors dog starts giving off about hunting me down, please seek professional help.

-Ian

----------------

Ian:

WELCOME to the Forum.

In defense of EdwinR, I don't believe that he expected 5 pages when he posted an observation. Some would say he should have as the same would happen with cable and a few other subjects.

I noted heated debate earlier, I was rightfully corrected, but I was premature in making that statement.

I only wish that I could have my belief that whatever makes a person happy in their system Post stored.

But it would get ignored anyway, as did the point about hearing sensitivity, hearing curve. There's a point when one wonders why they post - except for the fact of reason.

Discussion of Topolgy is a great thing. Then it drops to semi-insults on all sides. Not by all people. But passion for music brings out the language.

Though mostly ignored by those here, I will say this is not their normal being. They are helpful, do a lot for little money, take a lot of time to answer a question properly.

I hope that you see them in other questions, roles and how they help.

I rant. It's a way I have of venting. You'll notice they don't get on my case for it. They understand.

Each of them have their own stresses. They really don't need me to state any of their case, but, I've been around long enough to see.

Yeah, this topic can be a Jerry Springer - inside they know the person is happy, sometimes it's more trying to understand why.

But each paid for their Equipment, so as I usually end, does it matter?

Your post was a good introduction to the Forum. I hope that you stay around to see for yourself what I have mentioned.

dodger

----------------

On 5/1/2005 12:10:08 AM fini wrote:

, , ,

montane-chameleon.jpg

comma comma comma chameleon

----------------

, , , Boy, George I think he's got it!

Q: Weren't The RoofTop Singers members a while ago? "Walk right in, SET right down..."12.gif

+++++++++++++=

Ian;

You are a funny guy. Hard to confirm that you know what you are talking about if you do not list a system profile.

Lets put it this way.

If you can only apreciate "The Planets", or "1812 Overture", or "In memory of Elizabeth Reid" with a less than 8 watt SET amp; you most likely to prefer sitting in the back half of the balcony.

Some of us like to sit with our legs dangling over the edge of the orchestra pit.

Some people like LEOK can articulate why they like low listening levels and I can apreciate that position. I spent time in front of guitar amps and drum sets before I had kids and know I spend time on the sidelines listening to marching bands.

My favorite live nearfield listening experience is right in the middle of the drum line ( drum corp) about 20 feet away.

If you do not have a wee bit of tempered arrogance about your hobby; you most likely do not have a pasionate educated opinion.

Butterfly collecting is not for me.

----------------

On 5/1/2005 10:37:04 AM khornn wrote:

----------------

LOL!