Low Budget Bliss? Nakamichi Receivers and Klipsch Heritage

Many of us have come to know and appreciate the HK 430, 630, 730, 930 series of twin-powered receivers that HBDR builder called to our attention a while back. The attraction of these things is they actually sound good with Heritage speakers and they sell for very reasonable prices.

So I got to thinking: what other good-sounding solid-state receiver bargains are out there? I like the McIntosh 1700 receiver, but that has a tube tuner and probably costs several times what you'd pay for an old HK.

Lately, I've noted several mentions of the Nakamichi Stasis Receivers that use a Nelson Pass designed Stasis amp circuit. So I watched the net and recently picked up a Nakamichi SR-3A Receiver for about $100 locally. It had the usual garage grunge on everything and noisy pots like the HKs always do, but it all cleaned up well with a can of Deoxit and some compressed air. I played it through some LaScalas and Cornwalls (did some A-B comparisons with the speaker switching) and it sounds quite good--similar to the satisfying low-bucks sound of the HK 430.

So now I'm wondering about some of the other 80's era Nak receivers out there and if anyone on the Forum has paired these up with Heritage speakers. In addition to the 1980's SR-series that includes the unit I have, there was a TA-series that also features the Pass Stasis amp design. This TA-series followed the SR-series and I think most of these later units included remote controls. Possibly the TA's were made in Taiwan--my SR was made in Japan. Seems like something in the price range and quality of an HK 430 with remote capability would be a very cool thing!

If anyone has any direct experience with any of these Nakamichi receivers--positive, negative, or indifferent--let's hear it. Or if you have another brand low-budget favorite (along the lines of Andy's revered HK-series) it's time to share your secret with your Forum buddies! OK?

Best in horns,

triceratops

LOVE the Nakamichi STASIS amplified receivers! Trouble of it is, these units aren't normally cheap......I've been looking around for a good condition NAK STASIS for a buddy - and a Scott tube amp isn't much more $$$$. Epay prices for these Naks dictate that I look here for better deals, and Nak SS isn't commonly seen around here.

Based on what I know of far eastern manufacturing at that time, I would probably look for Japanese produced units.....although if any of the Naks are still working, it probably would be OK in any case.

Another vintage SS brand that sounds good on Klipsch - Luxman.

True, nectar. I have a 70's Lux integrated that sounds pretty good with my khorns. Though my favorite SS so far with them was a massive NEC integrated (think it's the A70 or something) from the 80's. But it crapped out & I never could find anybody who could do the repair.

Nectar-

Thanks for your insights. The Stasis-design Nak receivers seem to be a little scarce and they were also expensive when new, so I think those factors drive the prices up (along with the Nak name recognition). They are old enough (SR series possibly 1986-89 and TA series 1988-90) that the Blue Book values are pretty low--which may help the prices in used equipment shops. Not to create any additional competition as you're looking to pick one up for a friend, but is there any particular model of the Nak receivers you prefer and why?

I have never owned any of the Luxman stuff but always thought it looked very interesting. It is amazing how many different models they had, all with unique cosmetics (with cool little special switches, etc) and presumably unique internals. Are there any particular Luxman models to recommend or stay away from?

Evan-

Thanks for the observations on Luxman. Which model are you running? Any thoughts on what to look for and what would be a good price to pay?

I couldn't find a listing for the NEC A-70 integrated, but I did find a listing for the NEC A-7E from about 1985 rated at 50 watts. Do you think that is the one? Did you run the Khorns with it?

Frzn-

Appreciate your knowledge on the Naks! Any recommendations on the TA or SR series? Do the Taiwanese ones work as well as the Japanese? In the mid 1980's a lot of manufacturing went to Taiwan from Japan in the bicycle industry because the exchange rate for the Japanese Yen got very high. At first the quality wasn't as good, but they really upgraded their manufacturing and the Taiwanese stuff got to be quite decent in the 1990's (a lot of the low-end manufacturing moved on to mainland China, etc). Did a similar pattern happen in audio?

Best in horns,

triceratops

I've used a Nak TA-2 for use with my Heresy II's since 1990 with beautiful sound and plenty of power even though the TA-2 is conservatively rated at only 55 WPC. E-Bay has several TA's and SR's on currently, including both a SR-4 and a TA-4. The TA-4 rated at 100 WPC is well respected and sought after, and only recently did our local dealer sell theirs after using it as their reference for testing for many years against high end components.

Currently my brother (Silversport) is using TA-2's to power both a Heresy set-up and his recently upgraded Khorn's. He also has an SR-2 for his "garage" so there must be something to the "Nak-sound".

I like Nak so well, that over the years I've been upgrading to their separates as you can see from my current set-up.

Best of luck.

I second Nakamichi and Luxman, but I would also add vintage NAD stuff that you can still get for a song. The Luxman receivers from the '70s were great, but Luxman continued to make some nice stuff even into the '80s. I still use a Luxman R 114 receiver (mid-'80s) everyday in my office, and it has a nice sound and - makes a nice match for Klipsch speakers. Similarly, I found a NAD 3140 integrated amp from the early '80s inexpensively that I use for my center Vert. Cornwall. One nice feature with the 3140 is that it is internally-bridgeable if one wants to use it to run only one speaker (at 140 watts x 1). There are plenty of good, inexpensive vintage options out there in want ads, on audiogon, or on ebay. Just have to find them.

Carl.

I have a TA-4 and absolutely love it. Huge amounts of clean power, loads of inputs, a wireless remote which also controls my Dragon. I got if for $400 about a year ago. I had a TA-2 (well, still have it) that I bought new back in the day, and loved it so much I upgraded when I got a chance.

I compared the TA-2 directly against Luxman's top of the line when I got it, and there was no comparison. They were driving some huge 4 ohm speaker with no problem at all. At low power those STASIS amps are dead silent, which is a big problem for most, if not all, other SS amps.

The TA-4, as I recall, has a 15-watt pure Class A amp that handles all the work until more power is needed, then the 100 watt (or whatever) Class A/B amp takes over. And with Klipsch speakers, that will rarely happen. I can barely take my CD player over 3 on the dial before the Fortes start shaking walls.

As the the SA/TA comparison, I think the Japan/Taiwan thing is part of the issue, although my TA-4 was made in Japan (the 2A in Taiwan, go figure). Also the TA-4 is 100+ watt and the SA-4 is 60 watt. The TA-4 also has a lot more inputs (3-tape loops, 3 video, CD, Phono MM/MC) and has Variable Loudness and tone defeat. Thing weighs a ton too.

Is this a ringing endorsement or what? :)

----------------

On 5/3/2005 10:16:16 AM Frzninvt wrote:

The Nakamichi XX-7 Series stuff was some of the best gear ever produced. The CA-7A, PA-7II, OMS-7AII, CR-7A, and ST-7 were the some of best of the best from Nak and came with a HUGE pricetag.
----------------

I second that one. In the mid 80s when I was looking into purchasing my first "real" audio components the only thing holding me back from the purchase of a complete 7-series Nakamichi setup was the $$. It was over $7500 in 1984 which priced it outta my league.

I ending up going with a complete Yamaha 85 series (M-85/C-85/T-85) and then moving on to my current setup, the Yamaha 2000 series.

But a couple of years ago my Brother was looking into purchasing a used 2 channel system and can you guess what I recommended to him? Yep, the complete Nak 7 series,after some looking we found a one owner,mint setup with factory boxes,literature,remotes,and Nak connecting cables.

So, it's like I got my system after all, just 20 years later.

2.gif

Jeff

I have 2 TA-2As and an SR-2A...I think the TA is better (of course it is 55wpc instead of the SRs 35wpc) and I like the variable loudness and it has a remote if you need that...nice STASIS amp and a mechanical volume with the remote...the remote actually turns the volume knob mechanically...kinda neat...love the sound through Heresys and the TA is powering the K'Horns right now...I wouldn't venture off the SR/TA lines however...just my .02

Bill