Anti-cable speaker cables and yes now IC's.

zman

The posters on this forum have been so helpful to me in my recent return to music. I want to offer my recent experience as a partial payback. Paul Speltz's anti-cables brought my ARC components, Rotel amp, and RF 7's to life. I love great stuff at truely bargain prices and his latest entry into IC's gave me fantastic sound improvement over the 18 year old MIT shotgun interconnects I was using. My MIT's still sounded good but his IC's blew them away. My MIT's cost me $550 and $350. The anti-IC's at the introductory price of $50, are in very limited supply and not on his web site yet. As George Foreman says, "you don't pay a lot but you get a lot". I have no connection to Paul. BTW the speaker cables are $10/foot for the pair. I did a DIY 7' biwire in 3 hours at a cost of $70. S&H was free. Got the cables in 2 days. Now I can just listen, listen with a BIG SMILE on my face. My pure guess is those IC's will not be at $50 long. If you snooze you may have to pay more. Finally, thanks again for all the help in getting me back on board!!!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know Paul was making IC's....thanks for the info....I have some of Paul speaker anti-cables and previously posted that....I have used lots of different types of cables costing much more and also cheap zip cord....the anti-cables are the best I have used....-Al

All of his cables have what I would call less is better as one of the concepts. Especially the IC's. Interestingly they therefore have little or no break in time. The first hour and the 50th hour sounded the same to me.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 5/10/2005 6:56:21 AM zman wrote:

"Interestingly they therefore have little or no break in time. The first hour and the 50th hour sounded the same to me."

----------------

Sorry, but now this is getting crazy, "break in time" for wire?

Please explain how wire is "broken in"?

No NHL,

Your question indicates that you completely understand what is going on. Wire break in is bunk. You won't change the characteristics of wire until you get it close to the melting point. If you manage to do that with interconnect cables what wire you are using is the least of your problems. I previously commented on the Anti-cable speaker cables, they are expensive snake oil, but decided to sit this one out - until now.

11.gif

• 2 weeks later...

----------------

I previously commented on the Anti-cable speaker cables, they are expensive snake oil, but decided to sit this one out - until now.

----------------

"Until now" ????

Does that mean that you've changed your mind and now are going to try the Anti-Cables?

- Paul

----------------

On 5/10/2005 6:56:21 AM zman wrote:

All of his cables have what I would call less is better as one of the concepts. Especially the IC's.

----------------

Mine too. Last night I decided I was going forward with a new type of minimalistic interconnect - the non-connected interconnect, and all I have to say is "Wow!!!" - it sounded amazing... as if I wasn't using any cables at all!

Zman, looks like you ran smack into the brick wall of the anti snake oil crowd, a place I frequent often.

I try to kep an open mind but the case for not getting carried away with wire makes a lot of sense to me. Except I found out recently that cables can make a difference, but I supsect, only for the worse.

There's a guy that makes cables that I bought a piece of gear from, and he threw in a set for free. Oh well, can't hurt and they are free. They made three different setups sound terrible.

On the other hand, tried 14 gauge, 16 gauge, this and that and while awaiting the verdict on Rick's magic speaker wire, except in the above mentioned instance, no difference to my ears.

Now if, as you mention, your interc's were 20 years old, then I suspect anything newer would sound better. Like me the old ones are old and tired and just want to go fishing. I think it would be interesting to see if you noticed much of a difference using brand new el-ceapos versus the old interconnects.

Give it a try and let us know.

----------------

On 5/24/2005 3:08:12 PM pdalton wrote:

----------------

I previously commented on the Anti-cable speaker cables, they are expensive snake oil, but decided to sit this one out - until now.

----------------

"Until now" ????

Does that mean that you've changed your mind and now are going to try the Anti-Cables?

- Paul

----------------

No,

It means I will now chime in and call these expensive snake oil!

The tone of this thread has become, to be blunt, annoying as hell. Several of you are congratulating each other back and forth on your common contempt for anyone who hears a significant difference between one pair of cables and another--and especially between a manufactured cable and lamp cord, or HD 12 gauge speaker wire.

You may be right in your point of view--I'm still a newbie, after all--but not I think in your attitude toward people who are reporting that they do hear a difference. I've found everyone helpful in response to my own questions, but I'm reluctant to ask about cables/wires, for fear of touching off a lot of bombast.

Lighten up, OK? Many of the differences y'all claim to hear between components other than speakers are also subjective (tubes v. ss, for ex.), in that they're difficult to impossible to measure, and can't easily show up in blind A/B tests. Audio is inherently subjective. My budget won't allow me to spend hundreds of $ on high-end cables, but I very much doubt that everyone who does so is a moron who has bought snake oil. Are the audio writers who review cables frauds? Mistaken, maybe, but downright charlatans?