Klipschorn finishes

psg

To see a good example of walnut oil K-horns, see this thread.

For oak, see DTLongo's set. I think I recall even better pics in another thread of his that I can't find. DeanG also had very nice oak's. For a while.

Pics of current mahogany models are hard to find. I believe edwinr got a pair, and if so, perhaps he could oblige with pics -- or, anyway, I think someone in Australia got a pair and maybe he could tell us who. Personally, I think mahogany is the prettiest!

Larry

Edwinr: Are you around, and do you recall an Aussie recently getting a mahogany pair?

I also can't seem to upload pics today, but here's a glimpse of an upper side panel of my '62 mahogany's to give you an idea of that finish:

Top from backDSCN0723.jpg

Larry

Yup, the web site shows walnut oiled.

You already saw Kudret's walnut lacquered ... which seem to be lighter than the same wood in oil finish.

I think birch was only available in unfinished for both the "C" and "D" models... like my Varnished decorator "D" khorns ... (pictures are from previous owner)

Several members here have recent black ones which seem to have oak veneer under the paint...

Then you have a wealth of custom veneers and finishes also floating around... but that is a different story.

Rob

Hi, Larry. Sorry for not responding earlier. I have just come back from a visit to Sydney. The traffic? Phew!

Now, I have a pair of oiled walnuts. I'll try and post and pic shortly.

Consistent has a pair of AK4's. His are Mahogeny which be bought last year. I'll look on the website - he posted a picture a few months ago.

Edwin.

Edwinr, those look quite a bit darker than the Walnut picture Larry indicated...

I guess there's some variability on the darkness of the finish and you have to see the particular speakers to really know what they look like.

That and the black vs brown cloth that wraps around the top bin or doesn't.

I have a pair of Heresies in Walnut lacquer and they are super faded. I think the old lacquer did not provide any UV protection like modern poly finishes do. These are MUCH lighter than my Walnut oiled Cornwalls of the same period that still have some black in them.

Michael

Any more TEAK photos out there?

----------------

On 5/10/2005 6:48:09 PM thebes wrote:

Hey Larry! Don't you have a pic or two of Gary's Zebrawood Cornies?

----------------

Marty, how the help did you remember that? I do, but have no recollection of posting it. Gary's pics are much closer up with better detail, while mine might be a bit better from a few feet away. I just resized one of those for the web, but STILL cannot upload pics -- what's with the forum about that? Anyway, do you recall where you saw mine?

I'll post it when I can.

Larry

----------------

On 5/10/2005 8:30:51 PM garymd wrote:

Lousy pictures, I know. Taken before I had almost all the gear I currently use.

----------------

hmmm... i noticed on the tag there is "ASH", "EBONY", and "OTHER" ... anyone got pics of those as well?

I can't image a speaker in EBONY... and does "OTHER" come from the OTHERIS tree? 4.gif

Rob

A guy posted some pics of his special Ebony Forte's a couple of years ago and they were stunning looking. I did not think I would like the Ebony finish until I saw it on his Forte's - Awesome.

My all time favorite is the Brazilian Rosewood though. My brother in law Gilbert has some photos of the Heresy's that were done in the BR that was hand picked from the factory but the guy wants $3K for them! He should post those photos, talk about stunning!