FedEx strikes again!

codhead

Thanks for the detailed explanation. When I said 'toss', I meant 'tumble'. I've seen firsthand the sorting operation, and boxes, especially large, heavy, bulky ones often take a turn or two during the sort operation. So there is no UP side to any box. Also double boxing increases the girth tremendously, making the package more difficult for a person to handle, therefore increasing the propensity to drop. Peanuts are the scorge of the packing industry, especially for heavy objects, which will quickly find their way to bottom or corner, which will be come damaged.

I agree with your packing tips. SOlid foam is best. Just go to builders market and buy some buiding blue board insulation, cut to fit and single box the item.

Michael

Allow me to share with you how I pack my precious Macs if they would need service (as I did with one of my 30's).

1. Wrap the unit in small bubble wrap, alternating every 3-4 times around the unit, until there is a 3 inch cushion all the way around the unit.

2. Place in such a box that the wrapped contents will not slide in any fashion.

3. Wrap this box in large bubble wrap (or in my case, three full sized comforters) in similar fashion to step 1. I look for an additional 5 inches of protection here.

4. Box this, again in a container that will not allow the contents to slide or jiggle.

5. Tape box so that there are all smooth surfaces (so the package won't stick/catch to surfaces it slides on/against).

6. Even though this is usually ignored by carriers, I generally apply "FRAGILE - DO NOT DROP" and "THIS SIDE UP (arrows)" warnings on all sides of the box. If ONE employee uses care in handling that may otherwise damage the package, it's worth it.

Now you have a double boxed unit with 8 inches of padded protection designed to survive a trip to Baghdad. When it is a vintage or very expensive item, this is the only way to go.

The standard I use is that the package and unit must be able to survive a drop from 6-8 feet. If your packed unit will not survive such an occurrence, then you must repack - or find another way to get it there.....otherwise, you may get a damaged unit.

Remember the samsonite commercial with chimps jumping up and down on the luggage 9.gif Thats what I always think of when I get damaged goods so far the last three pieces of equipment I have received from UPS have been damaged.

Codhead, I wish everyone packed equipment like the monoblocks/tubes you shipped me! They were packed so well you could have bounced them and they would have just boundced lol.

Listen Up .....!

want to REALLY protect your, say, Mac 30 when it goes for service ..???

get a box approx the size of the amp ..

wrap the amp in plastic, i.e. , a garbage bag

spend $15 for a couple can;s of " Great Stuff "

.... the expanding foam sealant ...

FOAM that amp right into place ..

then double box ....

........2.gif.........

I was waiting for you to chime in here bitece.

I too worked at UPS - for a total of 8 years. I loaded and unloaded semi trailers, Sorted boxes on to conveyors and later supervised the guys doing the loading/unloading/sortingeventually I started writing computer programs for Big Brown, but that is another story.

There is very little chance for packages to get tossed or thrown. Conveyors and belts move the packages to about waist level within a foot of a worker. They are then sorted to another conveyor belt or loaded into a truck like a brick layer builds a wall. Package can and very often do get dropped from waist/knee heightbut at 3 feet or so just about any idiot can pack a box to withstand that.

Poorly constructed walls in the truck shift and packages get mashed on top of others. A heavy box at the top of a wall with air space has the potential to fall 6-8 feet. These falling boxes and the jams in chutes and conveyors that bitece pointed out are the two biggest problems. Production is KING at UPS and everyone is busy. Some people dont give a rats a$$ but most do. The actual guys driving the brown trucks delivering the packages are pretty darn professional compared to what I have seen from FedEx ground (old RPS) drivers. Supervisors from UPS routinely tail drivers following them and checking up on all the aspects of delivery.

I have shipped or had shipped to me (all via UPS) three (3) Academies, four Heresies, and two SS1s. Only one academy was damaged on the corner. UPS sent out an inspector he looked over the box and packing and promptly paid the claim all in about three weeks. That is 1 of 9 damaged and 100% of claims paid. Sure I would like to see no damage, but that is not all that bad all things considered.

Nothing is perfect, but if you pack things tight and secure you should have a very good chance of survival. Spend the .35 cents per 100 dollars for the extra insurance and take some pix as you pack it up. If you recycle and old beat up box and use minimal peanuts you are rolling the dice.

----------------

On 5/11/2005 10:36:00 PM NOSValves wrote:

. . . unless packed by a UPS store standard policy is to deny all claims as "not packaged properly" Craig

----------------

Having it packed by a UPS store is no guarantee either. My Chorus IIs were packed by a UPS store and UPS denied the claim for improper packaging. Luckily my seller was a stand up guy and went to bat for me. When he walked into the UPS store with the small claims paperwork he was about to file, the UPS store guy decided to save himself the trouble and wrote a check.

Here's something to keep in mind when filing a claim with UPS-- UPS reserves the right to inspect each carton it handles and a driver has the right to refuse to accept a carton if he/she determines it is not packaged properly. Therefore, once a claim is denied your first response should be that "your driver accepted it." This simply tells the carrier that their designated agent (the driver), who is a trained professional, determined that the package was acceptable. "Now how can you deny my claim?"

If that doesn't resolve the matter push forward. Ask for supervisors, managers,...etc. TAKE NAMES and keep a log of each contact with the carrier(individual spoken to, time, what they committed to do at the end of the call). Your last stand is to ask for the phone number of the corporate office (UPS is located in Atlanta, Fedex Ground--Pittsburgh, DHL--German Post Office). They MUST provide that phone number. I know a small amount of pressure and UPS will submit-- I've seen it countless times (many times when the customer is completely misinformed). The last thing any supervisor or manager wants to do is provide you access to the corporate office. A corporate complaint requires that each individual cited in the complaint must respond with a written explanantion of each contact with the customer. It is a major inconvenience for all involved.

A written letter to the corporate office that details your complaint, an accurate representation of your contacts with the carrier, and your dissatisfaction with their service will receive a response!

I hate to admit it but "the squeaky wheel will get the grease."

Bsafirebird has it exactly right. That foam sealant will mold around the item. I used it to insulate a doorway-- wrap the item in plastic-- it really has to be sealed tight and be sure to wear gloves when using the sealant. Take it from someone who didn't. My hands were sticky for days!