first impression of DeanG mods of my rf-7's

knorman

I paid full price and received no discount nor any free goods of any kind. I am not affiliated with Dean in any way.

My first impression(right out of the box) is HOLY SH#T why didn't I do this months ago. This is no small difference. Transparency better: yes Detail better: yes Bass deeper: yes Bass tighter: yes Imaging better: yes soundstage better: yes Highs are liquid mids are sweet. quieter,quicker,more slam,easier to listen at high levels and more details at low levels. Voices are clearer and easier to understand. Placement of instruments is better and background is dead quite. And best of all the ringing at HF is totally gone. This mod brings these speakers to a whole new level of clarity which puts them in another class from stock rf-7's. I will break them in over the next 6 days and report back, but I cannot imagine them getting much better. I said in my earlier post that I was trying to find a reason to keep them and I have found that reason. These speakers are now what my ears wanted to hear. Do not hesitate to do this mod. You will say the same thing I did. What took me so long. Dean was a pleasure to deal with, the quality of workmanship is excellent and his service was awesome. I hope I have even better news next week after burnin. BTW, I tested the mod with Chris Botti, Pink Floyd, Pat Metheny, and Bocelli. They all were equally impressive. I will gladly answer any questions you might have. Regards9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

That's great, I'm glad you're happy. You can thank Leo (Leok), who is the person who came up with the little resistor mod for the horn -- I just decided to run with it after trying it myself. I once tried the resistor mod without upgrading the caps, and though it contributed more than I expected, I could easily tell it was only half way there.

Break in: I once had a conversation with Richard Marsh from Reliable Capacitor about this, and he told me 10 hours is about it. He claims the difference is "measurable", but I have no idea with what or how he measured.

There are many skeptics that do not believe that such a simple modification can produce these results. Well, let them be happy with what they have.

The DeanG mods had much the same effect on my RF-7s. I cannot remember anyone that has installed the mod that has not reported about the same result. We all must be crazy; mass hysteria!!!9.gif9.gif9.gif11.gif

Bill

I've had my Dean G Modded X-overs in about two weeks now and I still am marveling at the difference. Certain highs like small cymbal, bell and triangle notes just seem to float in mid air. I've all but abandoned my lovely ChorusII and Cambridge Audio 2 channel system in my library in favor of listening to 2 channel on my theater setup with the modified RF7s. I never knew how good my Rotel 1098 really is for 2 channel. I've ordered a much high(er) end CD player because I think that the one I currently have (Sony 300 disk changer) "stifels" what the RF7s can really do.

There definitly was a break in period, but there wasn't anywhere near as dramatic a change after break-in as some would lead you to believe.

Jerry R

Yes! Contact Chris Munson (aka Popbumper) he has custom made PCB's that he uses to update the Forte' network. The Forte' is an excellent speaker and I am certain his update will bring them to a new level of performance.

One of my favorite Dean lines:

"CROSSOVERS ARE EVIL"

I didn't really understand the depth of his convictions until I heard his results. And he does get tangible results! It seems like a broken record, but these parts upgrades really do make a difference.

I see many people who get nice, big Klipsch speakers, then upgrade cd player, amp, preamp, cables, and thier AC power supply........and run them with stock crossovers. Before one begins upgrading the electronics, upgrade the crossovers with better parts. The results are better than most any component upgrade.....and will allow you to get the most of your current gear - and the most from your other upgrades too.

good mornings fellows,

the burnin is complete. the change is not so dramatic as the fresh installation of the crossovers, but it is still noticable. the bass just seems to continue to deepen and tighten. i cannot say enough about this mod. EVEN my wife noticed a hugh difference, i will say that again. EVEN MY WIFE NOTICED. i hear more from the same cd's each time i play it and just enjoy it more and more. i know this seems over the top, but i am really happy with this mod and feel others would be also. for those who are worried by the install STOP IT. the install can be done by a child(even me) it is a very simple affair and really helps you understand the speakers better. do yourself a favor and do the mod. it is on the same level as upgrading your pre and amp for alot less. thanks dean for making my music enjoyable again. regards16.gif16.gif16.gif16.gif16.gif16.gif16.gif16.gif16.gif16.gif16.gif16.gif16.gif16.gif

Yowza, I'm no "hero", save that designation for the guys who spend endless hours measuring, designing, and tweaking. I'm just a solder slinger with a decent set of ears, but probably no better or worse than anyone else out here.

"The burnin is complete. the change is not so dramatic as the fresh installation of the crossovers, but it is still noticable."

After 10 hours or so, any remaining "burn-in" had more to do with your ears/brain adjusting to the sound. As you settle in with the improvement, your auditory memory remembers less and less of what you moved away from. If you want to recreate the "dramatic change" effect, drop the stock networks back in.

"...EVEN MY WIFE NOTICED..."

Most women have better high frequency hearing than men, so that shouldn't be so surprising. My wife often notices, and makes comments about things that I can't even hear.