Speaker Wire ? (redux)

I am in the midst of building out a home theatre room, and just ordered my boxes of stuff from Parts Express.

I thought I had gotten a box of 500' of 12 gauge wire, but must have fumble fingered and ended up with 1,000' of 16 gauge.

they ended up about the same cost, and I don't have time to ship it back - sheet-rockers coming in next week.

I searched back posts, and seem to see a lot of folks think 16 gauge is just fine. It is a lot thinner than the current heavy monster cable I have going to my fortes, but my longest wire run will be ~ 18'.

Wanted to "gauge" opinions - should I go find 12 gauge wire this weekend, or just use the box of 16 I have in hand? (then try to sell/credit the rest to my builder, who may have a use for 600' of 16 gauge)

thanks.2.gif

If you really want the 12ga. Home Depot or Lowes will have it. I bought a 250 ft. spool of 12ga. at Lowes for $50. I really like it too. It appears to be decent wire. Then just send back your 16ga. later. You know if you don't put the 12 in, it will always bother you. 9.gif Good luck with your project. I just got done pulling about 1/2 mile of wire in my basement. I did lots of "just incase" wiring.

Jeremy

The chart above is a good one but should be used with the minimum impedance of the speaker.

As long as the 16 awg is rated for in wall use, I would use doubled runs to each speaker. This can be tricky due to crossed wires and the difficulty reading which wire is which unless clearly marked by the manufacturer.

Bill

I'm the guy who thinks heavy wire is a waste and creates connection problems.

But, but, but. You will never sleep well unless you get the heavy stuff. So do it. In this case, peace of mind is cheap.

Smile,

Gil

It's interesting to note that EV recommended, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Use No. 22 or larger wire to connect the T350 Lamp or zip cord is perfectly satisfactory for the application.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=65865&sessionID={29CC66B4-DD8D-41CB-937A-C597DF3B8ACA}

----------------

On 5/22/2005 6:32:23 AM DizRotus wrote:

It's interesting to note that EV recommended, <?xml:namespace prefix = o />

Use No. 22 or larger wire to connect the T350 Lamp or zip cord is perfectly satisfactory for the application.

----------------

On a further note, that may also be interesting, is the EV T350 is only a tweeter(3500 kHz up). The key words here, are "or larger". In a bi-amped, or for that matter bi-wired configuration of shorter runs, it may be suitable.