I sure had a lot of fun yesterday!!!

Piranha

Alright, I admit it wasn't audio related, although we certainly had a blast. My audio gear can never give me the same satisfaction that I receive by seeing a huge smile on my son's face. There are some things in life that money just cannot buy.

I even got to stop by Brooks Berdan LTD. They have some cools stuff. I was able to hear a few nice vinyl rigs in my short visit. I'll return there when I have more time before I buy my TT. Thanks ChrisK.

IMG_0427.jpg

Waiting for the races to start with the beautiful backdrop of the starting line, San Gabriel Mountains and Angeles Crest Forest

IMG_0426.jpg

Another shot of my son and the starting line.

IMG_0414.jpg

The staging area, my son and his Soap Box.

IMG_0477.jpg

Lining up for one of the starts.

IMG_0481.jpg

And away they go!

IMG_0420.jpg

Blake won his first race. The other driver ran off the starting ramp directly into the hay bails. Notice all the commotion up at the starting ramp?

Thankfully the other driver was not injured.

IMG_04231.jpg

In Heat #4 Blake lost by a car length.

IMG_0429.jpg

The course looking South down Myrtle Avenue towards the finish line.

All in all a very nice day. My son came in 9th out of approximately 110 drivers. Not too bad for the first time out.

He really enjoyed himself too which was the best prize of all.

Michael, yes it was a great day. Thanks for the compliments on the paint. The paint job was donated by Mark Ferrari, the owner of Ferrari Bros. Auto Body in Monrovia.

Roger, Blake was 9th out of over 100 drivers. This was the first time he'd ever been in a Soap Box car, so needless to say we were pleased with the results.

Unless you did this as a boy, a person has no idea how much this means to a kid. I still have the car and all the trophies to prove it!

With the help of my grandpa, and a crude prototype I designed at age 7, we built what turned out to be the fastest soap box derby car to ever enter the 4th of July race in our community. I will never forget the day I was able to finally upgrade to "ball bearing" wheels.

I was never beat, nor were any of the three subsequent drivers that I put in the car after I got too old for any of the allowed age groups. One time they had a unlimited age group so I entered at about age 22 and won again.

At the time, I dreamed about building one of the "professional" Soap Box Derby cars like they race at Derby Downs in Akron Ohio. Instead, I moved into gasoline powered cars and made a career of it (www.FastSS.com) and for fun built what has been the quickest muscle car in our county since 1978.

My only regret is that our community discontinued the annual soap box derby race before my kids were born.

You just can't beat good quality time like that...way to go!

I had no idea that soap-box derbies still existed. What a wonderful way for a father/son to spend time together doing something they both can enjoy (of course, winning a race or two ain't too shabby neither)!2.gif

----------------

On 5/22/2005 12:35:49 PM Piranha wrote:

Alright, I admit it wasn't audio related, although we certainly had a blast. My audio gear can never give me the same satisfaction that I receive by seeing a huge smile on my son's face. There are some things in life that money just cannot buy.

I even got to stop by Brooks Berdan LTD. They have some cool stuff. I was able to hear a few nice vinyl rigs in my short visit. I'll return there when I have more time before I buy my TT. Thanks ChrisK.

----------------

Tom, wow! Why don't I live in a place like that? It looks like ideal family life. Brooks Berdan apparently doesn't carry Basis -- I believe you'd have to seek out Optimal Enchantment in Santa Monica to look into that line.

Larry

Tom,

Neat photos! Priceless memories no doubt. Your son is obviously proud of that great looking car.

My son (six years old at the time) and I built a cardboard boat for the annual cardboard boat race at our local lake last summer. Our boat capsized, but we finish the race -in last place- and had a blast. Those memories will last a lifetime.

David

Tom; TOO COOL!! Great looking car, Great finishing place for a first timer and best of all, the memories you will have with your son.

Take the time with him, my son is now 21 and there were many times I kick myself for not taking the day with him. We get along great but once the time is past, there is no going back.

Good for the both of you!!

----------------

On 5/23/2005 1:40:25 PM Cal Blacksmith wrote:

Tom; TOO COOL!! Great looking car, Great finishing place for a first timer and best of all, the memories you will have with your son.

Take the time with him, my son is now 21 and there were many times I kick myself for not taking the day with him. We get along great but once the time is past, there is no going back.

Good for the both of you!!
----------------

Thanks Wayne! I'll remember your advice.

----------------

On 5/22/2005 1:58:16 PM m00n wrote:

Oh man! That looks like it must have been a very fun day indeed! How long did it take you to build your car?----------------

m00n,

We bought it used and had it painted. Next year I might buy a new one in kit form from the fine folks in Akron, OH and build it up myself. If there's a derby in your area I highly recommend it. It's great family fun.